Intel Core i7-9700K in 2019

Hi

I am planing to build a PC.

I am a student and I am broke most of the time, so I will be buying 2. hand parts (all testet by a local company) and I will buy the parts over the next 3 months.

I got a deal on a Intel Core i7-9700K. The processor is about 399 (retail price is 499 in my country)

Is this a good deal. I think It is not worth paying 550 $ for a i9.

Should I wait for the next gen Intel

In my price range (2k $ ) there is no competition from team red.

Thanks for reading

Janick

i can’t really help, haven’t bought anything newish in like 6 years.

that said, provide your usecase for the PC you’re building so others can help you better

added helpsesk tag for ya

1 Like

Really?

So what do you need the PC to do?

1 Like

Probably Gaming. I would still go with 8700k if it’s cheaper.

1 Like

Just curious what does a 2700x cost where u are from? And the 8700k too. Afaik the 9700k is still better than the 8700k because cores >> threads it makes up for it. But depends on what it is you want to be doing and what they cost.

2 Likes

It sounds to me like you just want the fastest single threaded speed you can get so the 9700k is a safe bet.

If you were to overclock then the 8700k might make more sense because of it being non soldered.

The 2700x costs about 350$ considering that the MBs cost more the 2700X and 9700K are more or less the same price at 400$, so I rather take the 9700K atm.

I forgot about the power of the 2700X to be honest, just compared the i7 to the Threadripper, that is priced much higher and the MB is to expensive.
I will rethink this now.
I can’t finde a 2700X PRO anywhere, so that is no option

The 8700K is the same price as the 9700K, around 400 $

If you take Benchmark its

1. 9700K
  2. 2700X
  3. 8700K

CPUBenchmark

I am mainly using the PC for gaming but I love to overclock stuff just for fun, so that’s why I need a unlocked Processor. The Processor will be mountet beneath the craziest Nocta cooler, that is out there, modded with extra fans. I don’t want to watercool, as the AIO are outperformed by air coolers anyway.

Why are you looking for the pro version those are made for the business. You can contact AMD if you want these or check out wholesale enterprise retailers like Dell, HP, Lenovo etc. they sell already made builds with those.

For the same price I would go with 9700K

Then Intel it is.

All AMD processors are unlocked or should I say there is no locking on the AMD processors. Those that end with an X can self overclock depending on temps. So better cooling better self overclock. If you want to OC on your own I will suggest you get a model without X at the end of the name.

Thaaaats not strictly true. The noctua can match and even beat some but there are still AIOs that will out perform something like the nh d15

1 Like

I would be surprised if Intel made much of a jump in the next couple of years, until they can get off 14nm improvements will be meh. One good reason for waiting if you are going to stay on Intel is Spectre and Meltdown mitigations on silicon vs software, should return some performance that has been lost.

3 Likes

Arent the x versions binned?

1 Like

Yeah but from most OC’s I saw the difference is 75 - 150 MHz

1 Like

But at the same voltage? They probably all hit the same frequency wall but voltage is what I care about.

1 Like

Good enough.

If you want to wait a year.

1 Like

let me check again.

1 Like

Overclocking is a waste of time, so pay no attention to it.

2 Likes

overclocking ryzen cpus is probably a waste of time, overclocking ram on the other hand… worth imo.

overclocking intel cpus is worth, ram not as much.

3 Likes

How about its a bunch cheaper for not really much worse. I mean looking at your benchmark, not a whole lot you’re getting for your dollars there.

You cant compare it to threadripper. Threadripper is the enthusiast lineup from amd (witch the 9700k isnt intels enthusiast lineup either, but the chip uses their ‘mainstream’ boards, so does the 2700x).

The 9700k has better single core speed and as opposed to the 2700x you can actually overclock it where as with the 2700x its complete timewaste to attemt to do that. But 2700x is cheaper (boards arent more expensive, more likely you get one for less and most deffinitely likely if you go for b450), its not far off and you get a tad more pcie lanes although not nearly as much as threadripper would give you.

@Yoray
Both X and non X can turbo, but the X has significantly higher TDP so it does per default clock much higher, technically you could overclock a 2700 to be a 2700x, although you break XFR by doing any overclock at all. So Id say 2700x and dont overclock will give you equal or better results than overclocking a 2700 and very rarely will actually do better. 2700x clock at 4.3GHz pretty regularly and you basically wont ever see 4GHz when you give it enough cooling so XFR can do its job. Let it do its job. Overclock ram if you have to overclock something on AMD, or overclock a 2700 to save a buck on the 2700x.

2 Likes

Apart from gaming, is there any specific software you’ll be using?

Buying in CHF?

1 Like

Yeah just checked barely significant difference. the 2700 seems to hit a wall earlier and become unstable before the 2700x but the difference is really small.

1 Like