Intel Core i7-9700K in 2019

Well it’s fun :slight_smile:

Yeah CHF, Not really a demanding software, Just Benchmarks and Gaming

1 Like

Yeah I know, but if you compare a shitty CPU aircooler with a 150$ (or CHF) AIO you will be better off with a AIO. But If u compare say a 100$ AIO to a 100$ aircooler you see similar results with aircooling having the upper hand. AIOs have more moving parts, making them break faster (and you can’t really fix it.

I’m not talking about a shitty air cooler, I’m talking about noctuas top of the line air cooler. There are reliability concerns but In my experience this is trivial at best. At the end of the day if you want the best cooling performance in a box, an AIO is still king, but there is something to be said for a nice air cooler.

1 Like

Don’t want to be the person purveying the old wait, something’s coming out soon trope, but I’m going to…

A few places have been reporting that Zen 2 has 15% better IPC than 1st gen, and clocks up to about 4.5GHz. Asus have recently updated their current gen boards to support the new chips. If the IPC performance is true, the gap between AMD and Intel in gaming will be closed considerably.

If you want to get something as soon as possible, and enjoy tweaking settings a lot, go Intel. If you can get the 9700K for the same price as the 8700K, that’s great!

Just worth keeping in mind that the option is there to go with a cheap 1st gen chip, like a 1300 for 80 CHF, with a new motherboard, and upgrade once the new chips come out. Just no guarantees how long that’ll be.

2 Likes

If I was to buy one for overclocking the 8700k is attractive for the delid prospect.

that said if it were me I’d probably go for zen 2 when it comes out.

1 Like

Are you sure, that the socket will stay the same?

AMD committed to am4 for a while when ryzen came out.

2 Likes

I can wait, the longer I wait, the bigger my budget :wink:
But as always there is something coming soon :wink:

1 Like

So theoretical the Zen 2 can fit the same board as a 2700(X) ?

1 Like

That is not theoretical, that is going to be the case. Right now rumors are july release at computex but I dont think theres anything official. Hoping for q3.

1 Like

Not only theoretically thats what Im planning to do and the soul reason I got a redicolously overbuilt board ‘just in case’. :wink:

So can your monitor do more that 60hz?

Edit: I have the time so…

Or do you plan to get a monitor that can do more than 60hz as part of this build.

What GPU are you thinking of using.

If they are the same price go with which ever CPU you want. Though personally I would always buy new over second hand if the price was the same.

2 Likes

I saw an episode of Security Now a few months back that talked about 15 previously unknown attack vectors for Spectre and Meltdown, which according to the show would require all affected platforms to be abandoned if Spectre and Meltdown to be totally fixed. So in the original poster case, He might as well purchase Intel now. It will be several years before Intel abandons the X86 platform if at all.

1 Like

Edited out some.

I think they are more referring to the “Core” platform not x86. Intel will eventually need a whole new architecture for sure but they can still build on x86.

You might be rigjt, but I thought Steve was taking about the X86 Platform not the Core.

sure why not, as long as you dont see any glaring shortcomings for what you want to do

All depends on your needs really.
What are the main workloads you gonne need the system for.
And if gaming, which gpu you have in mind to go with, and resolution you aim to play on?

Sometimes paying extra for intel systems isn’t needed persee.
It kinda depends on your day to day workloads.
And wenn it comes to gaming, like i said above depending on resolution and gpu,
you aim to go with.
Of course the per core performance of the 9700K is still better then its Ryzen equivalents,
and that still comes handy when gaming in certain titles, but mainly when lower res 1080p /1440p with highend gpu’s RTX2080’s.

If you want the best possible gaming performance around the board,
then by all means go intel 9700K would be a decent buy then.

But if you wouldn’t mind to loose a few FPS, then AMD Ryzen,
could already offer you great bang for buck.
2700X for gaming isn’t really needed either a 2600X will already be decent.
And those 2600X sometimes go for less then $200,-.

But of course with a 2K budget, (which doesn’t seem to be that broke for a student),
you have plenty of options.