šŸŽ™ Intel 10900K Announce-Launch: What's up? With Dr Ian Cutress (April 30)

Not always!

The mobile ā€œtenth genā€ (which arenā€™t actually another tweak of SKYLAKE) parts are iX-10xx :smiley:

1 Like

HIā€¦ Wendell showed an ā€œoldā€ disk drive.

This video shows really old disk drivesā€¦

Take care.
Bob

1 Like

Letā€™s see if the CPUs can actually hit those clocks or if they require a chiller.

Remember, everyoneā€™s making ambitious GHz claims these days.

3 Likes

Thanks for unpinning and picking up the questions @wendell

2 Likes

This made my friday :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yer I think the slide decks with 4 or 5 differant GHz speed is intel befudling idiots to read to highest number and drool. The peak numbers are favored cores like 2 core only.

Its always down to the testing and Intel will be crowned the heat maker with these chips performing at top specā€¦

Still Intels cow tailed to cheaper pricing and a new MB that may only last this gen. Still for die hard intel buyers. WIN.

1 Like

Yo itā€™s literally a 9900k without the markup. How is this competing a 3700x when it has a lower base clock and slower memory again? Unless of course you pay an other hundred for the unlocked version (which of course gets you 50% more cores and the same speed from AMD).

1 Like

Intel has been able to hit 5Ghz speeds for a while now.
So i assume that 5.3Ghz is likely possible,
If a 5Ghz is going to be possible on all 10 cores,
is yet to be seen ofc, but likely not.

1 Like

Yes, with overclocking and top-level cooling. Back in previous gens, to hit 5.1, you pretty much needed to delid and replace the mayo under the IHS.

Sure, on LN2 this thing will sing.

Without a die shrink, no. You can only throw so many watts into a CPU before the blue smoke escapes.

2 Likes

Thats the target. :laughing:

3 Likes

What i find pretty interesting is that certain Z490 boards come with pci-e4.0 support.
But the Comet lake cpuā€™s donā€™t actually support it.
Asrock and Gigabyte announced that some of their boards, get pci-e4.0 support.
Like the Asrock Z490 Taichi.
According to a news article the pci-e4 standard getting implemented on certain z490 boards,
because of the upcoming Rocket lake S cpuā€™s.

1 Like

We know Intel wonā€™t do a multi-generation board, so theyā€™re just wasting time and money.

Unless Intel lied and told them theyā€™d be seeing PCIe 4.0 support on the CPUs.

1 Like

The BOXX Apex S3 can be purchased with a 9900k at 5.0 all core. They had the 9900ks at 5.1 as an option but they sold out.

Iā€™m not sure what they do to hit that, but itā€™s no one off thing.

1 Like

I never said you needed a golden bin, just said you were limited by the cpu mayo.

Intel knew this for multiple generations. They didnā€™t fix it, and now they did. Good on them, but it may be too little too late for their market dominance.

2 Likes

I thought by previous generations you meant previous to 10th.

Like I said, I donā€™t know what they do to reach those speeds. At the very least they probably do some binning. To the consumer, you can buy an off the shelf air cooled system with a i9-9900k @ 5.0GHz all core. No exotic cooling needed.

Iā€™m not saying it is the best things since sliced bread, but if you depend on applications that are single threaded then I donā€™t know a solution that is faster. Multi-threaded workloads - whole different ball game. (*cough 3rd Gen TR)

Intel will probably maintain a large share of the market due mostly to their agreements/deals with manufacturers. It is good to see AMD making them scramble for an edge, competition is where progress happens.

I support AMD where I can, because without them we would just see small generational improvements year after year and a new motherboard needed for each generationā€¦

1 Like

Doubtful. Most manufacturers donā€™t have long-term supply agreements, and even Amazon has started rolling out AMD in their datacenters.

1 Like

I believe it was planned and they just could not get it to work stably so just called the whole thing off but all ready had the spec sent to the motherboard makers as Intel were trying to test it and fix it in their silicon but just could not do it quick enough for launch.

1 Like

Well if intel goes traditionally back to their tick tok release cycles.
Then LGA1200 Z490 chipset will get at least 2 generations of cpuā€™s.
So if next gen Rocket lake S cpuĀ“s indeed support pcie4,
then its likely that those cpuā€™s will be compatible with Z490.

But the kicker is, not every z490 board seems to get pcie4 support.
Which kinda makes sense, because there aint cpuĀ“s that support it yet.

So yeah kinda interesting, unless the source article i read about it,
is misinformed by the motherboard manufacturers.

1 Like

Gigabyte likely violated their NDAā€™s and leaked that Rocket Lake will be compatible with z490.

Yeah check out those base clocks :smiley:

I suspect intel CPU model numbers are in kelvin, if you were to actually try and reach the boost clock for any significant period of time.

I donā€™t see these being any different to the 9 series parts. Except for maybe being able to hit faster speed for a nanosecond or two before thermally constrained, in order to claim some sort of magical progress with the same damn designs on the same damn process.

Thereā€™s a reason intel are comparing ā€œsystemā€ performance vs. 3 year old machines with 3 year old GPUs and not trotting out the CPU benchmarks.