Installing/Setting up DD-WRT on Linksys router

some ISPs routers are fucktarded, i had one that wouldn't allow me to go to bridge mode in which case i had to create a wireless WAN connection and bridge that to the lan and another SSID

No I need to authenticate to the ISP. The Zyxcel router is in normal mode right now because I would not be able to get on the internet at all. I will try to connect the Linksys through rj45 and see if that gives me connection. But I'm sure having router 2 going into another router 1 and then to internet is not the right set up. Router 1 has to act like a modem/bridge and nothing else. Otherwise ISP could still tamper with my connection.

ZEN Internet. They say that I need to use either PPPoE or PPPoA

Your Zyxcel is the router with the modem and it has to make the wan connection to the isp. The Linksys can't utilize the modem directly!

It should work fine through the network via rj45 provided it has the correct gateway and dns etc.

But if he can get PPOE package on openwrt than he should be able to use the Linksys to be the main route and bridge Zyxel router.

There is no modem in the Linksys he would need a modem connected to the wan port for that to work unless I'm missing something?

If he puts zyxel in bridge mode and then hooks linksys to lan port on zyxel and put the ppoe settings in it should work. I had to do this with ddwrt and a terrible ATT modem/router. I put it in bridge mode and hooked linksys to lan port and it worked great. Well great except for being on ATT DSL with 15 people trying to stream youtube constantly.

This is exactly how i had it until now. Zyxcel was set to bridge mode while Linksys was connected to it and acting as main router. It's just that the OpenWRT doesn't have that login page on it.

Wall socket > Zyxcel VDSL > LAN 1 Ethernet > Linksys WAN port > LAN 1 cable > My PC.

Is this any use https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_222389413&feature=iv&src_vid=ByB8vVGBjh4&v=KE1mr-TXUPo

Did you configure the gateway and dns? You also need to disable dhcp on one device or configure ranges for each dhcp server.

I just noticed you mentioned wan port from the Linksys you should use a network port not the wan.

yes use lan port on linksys and report back but first get ppoe package going under openwrt. I am not as familiar with openwrt so not sure why it is not built in

He doesn't need ppoe because he isn't connecting to a modem directly. The ppoe/ppoa is being handled by the Zyxcel and its internal modem.

Yea I wish I had kept my documentation when I did mine but I think when you bridge those modems they do not handle the verification anymore. So you maybe correct but I am thinking in my instance that I had to use ppoe on the ddwrt router with a bridged att modem

I haven't used ddwrt for ages and I don't remember what the bridging is like. Having said that it should work much the same as Tomato. If that's the case I'm not sure why ppoe would be required on the router with no modem? Unless it's some funky work round?

If he is using the lan to connect to the Zyxcel it just a device on the network. All it needs is the correct ip, dns and gateway and the dhcp disabled one of the routers. Or non conflicting dhcp ranges on each routers dhcp server. For trouble shooting it's best to use a single dhcp imho.

Can we get a screenshot of the web page from the zyxel modem in bridge mode?
Maybe some screenshots from openwrt?

i laugh at those firmwares... because they are the apple of firmwares.

if you have no internet, you need to download the sources on another machine and burn yourself a source DVD.

When you're sober maybe you could explain your reasoning?

That doesn't help because I don't have DD-WRT on any device. Besides that video is showing you how to connect router 2 to router 1 that is connected to separate modem. I don't have a separate modem.

Never had to do any of this before.

Ok but do you where can i download it? And once i put it on a USB key I don't really know how to install it on the Linksys.

To put the Zyxel into bridge mode all I have to do is follow this guide. https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/ZyXEL-VMG1312-VMG8924-Bridge-Mode

Ok so that link for you rmodem confirms that your wrt router will have to handle authentication. I am not versed in openwrt. I have only used DDWRT and Tomato. I am now on Pfsense and ubiquiti. Anyway I believe your easiest bet is to put Zyxel back into regular mode and setup openwrt router in different subnet and have it where it can download packages through its terminal/web interface(not sure how Openwrt works in this way). Get PPOE Package(pppd + plugin rp-pppoe.so). Then put zyxel in bridge mode and hook wrt into lan port on zxyel to wan port of wrt and put in authentication and you should be rolling.
Here is the link to the package list for certain things in openwrt.https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/network

Let me know and possibly someone more openwrt versed can help you with getting package on unit or get out your google-fu and figure it out.