Installing/Setting up DD-WRT on Linksys router

Here are some screen shots from openWRT

https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/internet.connection
That is a link for WAN and PPoe.

Any screenshots for the wan config side?

I have the WRT1900AC, DD-wrt is really stable on it, and OpenWRT is a huge hassle.

That wasn't the point...the point was an example of the process which will be similar across different firmware. There will be other guides if you search for your specific scenario.

OK if you never had to do that before I guess you will never have to do it in the future?

Tell me how does your router connect to the wan through another device if it has no idea of the ip, gateway and dns? It needs to get the info from somewhere either automatically or via manual configuration. If you look at the routers config and the ip is in the wrong range and the gateway and dns ips are wrong then you need to fix that, regardless of what you did in the past. If all the values are correct then you look for the next likely cause of the problem.

Edit: Are you using dhcp on both routers? If you are then you need to setup non-conflicting ranges for both dhcp servers. To trouble shoot it would be better to use one dhcp. Disabling dhcp on the openwrt device would probably be the easiest option.

@sanfordvdev @QEMM If it's going to make things easier for all of us then I can just flash the Linksys with DD-WRT.

Well I think that will be better for now. Run ddwrt and see how you like it brush up on your networking while running ddwrt and try openwrt later down the road and we will be here to help.

Alright then. First obstacle is that there are 2 version of dd-wrt for my model of linksys and I don't know how tell what version is mine.

Also should I flash the router directly from opnWRT or reset it back to stock firmware and then flash with DD_WRT?

What hardware revision is your router? That will tell you which to get.

Never flash from non stock firmware because that can cause issues. Restore the stock firmware and if it has an option to flush the nvram flush it.

I really don't know man. I'm not a networking admin. I think the Zyxel has the IP and DNS pre-configured and in bridge mode it somehow passes them over to the Linksys.

That's what I'm not sure about. On the sticker it says REV.A00 and also WRT1900ACV2

It's a revision two hence the v2 at the end of the model number. I think ddwrt is the same regardless of hw revision but follow the link anyway.

What happens when you disable the dhcp on the openwrt router?

This unit isn't the only dhcp on the network.

If you look under the wan settings (where you have selected pppoe) is there an option to use dhcp? If there is select that option so the wan config pulls the info from the Zyxcel dhcp server.

Keep in mind that the Linksys is the client of the Zyxcel and its dhcp server.

Do I disable it over here? Sorry I'm total noob with network stuff.

EDIT: Funny thing I have noticed when I pressed the Reset button on the Linksys OpenWRT is still there! WTH?

Yes, turn that option off and check to see if there are other options to disable the dhcp altogether.

You will probably have to do a reflash to get back to the factory firmware. You should check to see what the guys at openwrt say about restoring the factory firmware.

It's not a good idea to try and work this out while thinking about two different things. If you're going to commit to installing ddwrt then stick with that goal.

I still think you could get your openwrt working, it's not like it's an unusual configuration that you're trying to setup. It should be simple to do what you want.

2 Likes

Yea, ur ISPs shit aio is cockblocking your Linksys. Usually when you have a decent non shit mentally handicapped ISP, you buy a modem and own it. And the modem does its fuxing job of connecting to your ISP modulating and demodulating the signal, and you can plug a whereverthefuckyouwant router into its Ethernet port and it just goes....

Please tell me I don't have to do this to get it back to stock.
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.uninstall

Read the last option on that page you linked to.

So that last option tells me to follow instructions on the hyperlink but that tells you how to install OpenWRT not uninstall.
Or do I just flash it within openWRT with the stock Linksys firmware? @sanfordvdev said it's not safe.

I have flashed back and forth from tomato and ddwrt on multiple routers but never messed with openwrt.
Recheck the thread I haven't said anything about it being safe or not.
Not sure if everyone is missing this but the link grim posted about the Zyxel modem said that when it is in bridge mode that the router has to do the ppoe authentication.
So grim you have to choose whether you want to have modem in bridge mode or regular mode.
Bridge mode and openwrt your gonna have to have the packages I listed and linked. This will require getting internet access to openwrt unless someone else more fluent in openwrt will chime in with an offline solution.
Regular mode you are going have to give me a bit to help in that regard. I have ran my work also where the main attached router modem combo left alone and setup my router on a different subnet and it worked great but double nat and all... I will try and help you out once I get a chance to drink a beer and sir down and figure out how to help you with this and your limited network knowledge.

Did you read what they are saying in the instructions? The first part of the sentence gives you the answer. ;)

If he is connecting via the lan with the openwrt set to wan dhcp why would the Zyxel need to be in bridge mode?