Installing after market Cooler on RX 5700 XT

Hi,

I’m going to install an after market Video Card Cooler on my Radeon RX 5700 XT.

The cooler will arrive tomorrow and I can’t wait to install it on my video card. Has anyone experience with after market Video Card Coolers? I watched several YT video’s for this cooler and people are very impressed by the cooling performance of this Cooler. It seems that this after market cooler is so good that it keeps this video card at an acceptable temperature level, even 15 degrees lower than the stock cooler, and even more important, the fan noise will be drasticaly lower.

I will update this post as soon as I installed the card, maybe with some install pictures as well.

5 Likes

I love Arctic. Although their CPU coolers are OK, but nothing special, the Accelero series have been amazing when it comes to GPU cooling. With 3 fans and that thick of a cooler I won’t be surprised if the thermal difference is even more than 15C…

2 Likes

I bought my RX 5700 XT when there where only blower style versions. I should have waited a little longer for the versions that well known manufactures build. To buy a new one is not an option and this after market cooler will do the job perfectly I think. Maybe even better than any other video card cooler, we will see.
I need an after market cooler, my RX 5700 XT gets very hot and the fan noise is very noticeable.

I hope this cooler will do the trick and gets the fan noise down and gets this video card cool.

Update very soon.!

1 Like

Hi,

I installed the after market cooler on my RX 5700 XT. There where a couple of important things that you need to watch out for.

** If you use a Big Air Cooler for your CPU you can’t use the first PCIe slot, because of the thick black heat sink on the back of the video card. You have to use then the second PCIe slot. Effected Air Coolers that I could test where Be-Quit Dark Rock Pro 4 and the Noctua D-15. Both Air Coolers are to big and prevent you from installing the video card in the first PCIe slot.

** Make sure that you cut out the openings in the protected film as accurate as possible otherwise the heat sink on the back of the video card can touch vital parts.

** With this after market cooler your video card gets super heavy, so be sure to use the bracket to support your video card when you install it.

Now for the most important part, this after market cooler keeps my RX 5700 XT around 20C degrees Celsius cooler under full load then the stock blower cooler does.

Find below the before and after pictures.

4 Likes

Sooo… How THICC it is? Does it take 3 slots?

2 Likes

The problem is not the fan side it is the back side, that black heatsink is that thick that if you use a Dark Rock Pro 4 or Noctua D15 the black heatsink on the back can’t pass the heatsink of the CPU coooler.
With the fan side and the black heatsink on the back your video card becomes a 2,5 slot card.

2 Likes

You should be able to move the GPU to the other X16 or X8 PCIe slot and not suffer any performance loss…
Also yeah, those hyouge aircoolers are sometimes pain to fit… Especially with that Accelero…

1 Like

I had to install it in the second slot, see picture.
If you look closely, you can see that you don’t have enough space when you put the card in to the first PCIe slot, my Dark Rock Pro 4 is to big. Maybe watercooling this CPU and you don’t have this issue.

3 Likes

This video card cooler has some beefy heatpipes,.

The last tip I can give you.
The manual is not up to date, no mention of the RX5700XT, on the website they say this cooler is compatible with this video card but in the manual not one reference.
So you have to be very precise in what you do.
The cool thing is, when you don’t like this cooler after all, you can revert back to the old stock blower cooler with very easy.
Don’t forget to order a new thermal pad for the GPU because this gets destroid when you remove the stock cooler.

3 Likes

If i’m not mistaken, this motherboard has only 1 x16 slot and that is the first one and the second one is the x8 slot.
Or am I mistaken?

2 Likes

I did an intensive GPU benchmark test using Superstition.
I ran the tests 10 times, this on 1080p Medium, 1080p High, 1080p extreme and 4k Optimized.
My video card with this after market cooler did not get warmer than 62C Celsius.
With the stock blower cooler the video card could get up to 85C and even 92C Celsius several times.
Arctic gives you also a very handy Fan Profile Card, for NVidea and AMD.
They advise you to create a custom fan curve profile within MSI Afterburner.
They give you a very detailed description on how to set the perfect fan curve for my video card.
This fan curve profile keeps my video card at maximum 62C Celsius at the above mentioned test.
So I can say, this was a very good investment.

I have to say that there is one thing I don’t like.
Because of the very thick heat sink on the back of the video card you can’t use the first PCIe slot.
I have to install it in the second PCIe slot, this slot is a x8 slot.
Does this influence my video card performance? I don’t know. Maybe one of you guys can explain to me, installing the video card in the x8 slot does not influence the performance of my video card.
One thing for sure, I’m thinking of water cooling my CPU just for this reason so that I can install my video card in the first x16 slot again.
But besides this issue I can say that this was a very good investment.
I’m surprised how good this after market cooler performs, much better than the stock blower cooler. The next most important thing, I can’t hear my video card anymore. The stock blower cooler made a lot of noise, too much for my liking. This after market cooler is much quieter.

3 Likes

This may be a good time to switch to the Cablemod Vertical GPU bracket if it fits.

https://cablemod.com/product/cablemod-vertical-pci-e-bracket-2-x-displayport-black/

1 Like

Will this fit in my Thermaltake The Tower 900?
I can’t see a way that this would fit. do you?

Top notch of the plastic shroud could be trimmed out with that vertical bracket in place. There’s plenty of room in the back.

You could also just use the aluminum heatsink and zap strap Noctua fans to it so it doesn’t go over height. No need for the stock fans or shroud.

I’ve zap strapped Noctuas to my EVGA GTX 1060 without a problem:

I think I can make this work.
With this vertical GPU bracket.
When I install it the fans will face me, if you know what I mean?
Then I install the video card as close to the end of the vertical btacket, meaning, as much forward as possible so that the black thick heat sink has room in the back.

Maybe if you try to imagine what I mean?
Installing the vertical bracket as intended.
My IO is facing up, so with this vertical bracket the fans are no longer on the side but facing towords me.

Yes, the fans will face towards you rather than the bottom of the case, but you want the effects of the air downdrafting onto the PCB to cool the VRMs. So the airflow direction still goes into the card.

The Dark Rock Pro 4 could even cool the backside of the PCB with it’s airflow in that position.

I have two extra fans that target the vrm.

It’s still good airflow practice to have the fans blowing down onto the PCB for GPUs. Sucking air out to exhaust heat doesn’t really work on open faced cards. You want fresh air to blow down onto the fins.

These two fans use fresh air, in my The Tower 900 I have 10 fans in the back who suck fresh air inside the case. 4 fans in the front chamber who shannel the fresh air from the back to the front. 2 of these fans are directly focused on the vrm

I’m talking about fans zap strapped on the GPU cooler. Case airflow is not going to be enough to “passively” cool the 5700 XT. You need active Noctua fans on the GPU cooler to replace the Arctic fans and shroud to make it fit.