Installing after market Cooler on RX 5700 XT

The after market cooler has 3 fans and keeps the video card at full load at 62C Celsius. Changing to noctua is not needed. The back heat sink has no fans, is not needed. The contruction of this cooler is that the back heat sink is connected to the front coooler. And it cools perfectly. I took some messurments, with the vertical bracket I have room enough in the back. So this will fix my issue.

I’m just concerned about that plastic shroud hitting the Dark Rock Pro 4, since overheight cards don’t work with the air cooler in place.

I know what you mean but this is not the case here.
The plastic shroud does not touch the cooler even with the vertical bracket.
The issue that I have now is that I can’t use the first PCIe slot because the thick black aluminium heat sink on the back of the video card is hitting the cpu cooler

Yeah, the riser will solve your problems. Just be sure it will fit before ordering anything.

Please be very careful with this cooler. I pretty much registered here to warn you, yes gpu and junction temps will be good with this cooler. But the problem is memory temps, which are not displayed everywhere (you’ll need xsensors on linux, or some other thing on Windows, it is not shown in wattman).

I have an artic accelero III on a 5700XT so basically the same cooler without the backplate and memory was very hot (100° on peak with some benchmark, which is very bad).

I did add Artic thermal pad between heatsink and memory, which made me gain 4/5°, and then underclocked the card to 1900Mhz/1V to get sane memory temps (80 at most on benchmarks).

With accelero IV you have the backplate, but i don’t believe it is enough to cool those memory, so you should probably check those temps before you fry them.

The problem with this cooler with 5700XT is that if you aren’t attentive enough or simply don’t know that you should check memory temps, the card will perform well and everything will seem fine until you kill your memory 6 month later.

3 Likes

Hi,

I know hat you mean and thank you for the heads up. You can test the GPU memory temp with AIDA64. When I test this cooler with AIDA64 the GPU temps are within reasonable limits, much cooler then the stock cooler. The GPU Hotspot Temp is also better, it does not go beyond 89C-91C Celsius where the stock cooler lets this video card go over 100C and sometimes hit the 110C Celsius. The GPU Temp, it seems that they are also within limits. With this cooler you get thermal pads that need to be placed on specific areas and then the back heat sink is fitted. But I went back to the stock cooler for different reasons. This after market cooler makes your video card not only top heavy but because of this back heat sink your video card gets so thick that this interferes with everything else within your case. Better said, you can’t use the first PCIe slot because this cooler hits the Dark RocK Pro 4 or other beefy air cooler. If you water cool your CPU it could work but then you have another issue. Even with low profile RAM the back heat sink will hit one of the RAM sticks and you need to remove this RAM stick. When you have dual channel setup you can only use 2 RAM slots, and even then it will probably hit one of your RAM sticks. The solution to this could be a vertical mount. But Cable Mod can’t give me a straight answer about the clearance this vertical GPU mount has from the back plate to the motherboard. Better said, if you install a stock video card in this vertical GPU bracket how much space is there in cm or inches from the back plate to the motherboard. After sending 4 email to cable mod support with exact details they could not give me a straight answer. They don’t have this data was the answer on all of my 4 emails. That did it for me, i reverted back to the stock cooler. I’m going to water cool this card, I ordered a EK setup for this card. I will water cool my CPU then as well. What can I say about this after market video card cooler? It cools much better than the stock cooler. But you have to jump through so many hoops to get it installed in your system that this is at some point, ridiculous.

Greetings.

Well yeah, that why i didn’t use accelero IV, it wouldn’t fit with my NH-D15.
Watercooling is the best you could do with this card but i really don’t want to spend 400$~ to get a custom loop setup. Not to mention i don’t want to maintain it and my cpu is already well cooled, which make the whole thing not worth it for me (paying same price as the card just to cool it ^^).

Water cooling my PC was my next project, that this is needed sooner than expected that is no issue. Luckily this after market cooler did not cost me anything. I had a voucher that I could use, the only thing I had to pay where the shipping costs and that was only €3,95. The only thing I changed now with reverting to the stock cooler is the “washer mod” and thermal paste instead of the Thermal Pad that comes with the stock cooler. Also, I have added Thermal Pads between the back of the video card and the back plate. This washer mod keeps the video card in check. First, I bought this video card as soon it was launched. I choose the Gigabyte version because my move from Intel tot AMD involved also moving to a new motherboard, in my case the Gigabyte X570 Aurus Master. But I noticed that the stock cooler on my video card did not a good job. Junction temps went to high, over 100C. Should I have waited until the partner cards came out, maybe. But I bought this video card so I had to come up with a solution to cool this video card better than the stock cooler did. The only solution I could find was this after market cooler. I did its job perfectly, it cooled this card perfectly without any doubt. I could not have foreseen that I run into various issues because every YT review of this after market cooler did not mention anything about clearance issues and so on. I have two beefy Air coolers to choose from, Dark Rock Pro 4 and a Noctua D-15. Both air coolers are perfect but can’t be used together with this after market video cooler. It prevents you to install the video card in the first PCIe slot. Even when I water cool my CPU I run in to issues with my RAM clearance. I have low profile RAM and even this type of RAM is not compatible with this after market cooler. The only thing that could solve this is a vertical gpu bracket solution. To investigate this and possibly run into more problems made me decide to revert back to the stock cooler and this time with the “washer mod”. I installed my Noctua D-15 CPU cooler again and everything is okay now. Next project, water cooling my CPU and video card. That’s it. Don’t get me wrong, this after market cooler does its job perfectly, it cools the video card without any issue and much better than any stock cooler or even partner cooling. If you can live with installing the video in to the second x8 PCIe slot then this cooler is the cooler to go for.

Greetings.

I had the exact same cooler some years back on an R9 280X. It’s cooling ability was fantastic, but I also had an NH-14 tower cooler for my then FX 8320. This meant I had to compromise on where I put the GPU (like the OP) until I bought a CPU AIO - which neatly gives a use case for @AnotherDev on his thread about water coolers being worth it :slight_smile:

Arctic do have another GPU cooler that is similar but without the cooling fins on the backplate. If one uses air cooling for the CPU I suggest taking a look: https://www.arctic.ac/uk_en/accelero-xtreme-iii.html

1 Like

I Know of this cooler but If I have to believe several YT channels this cooler does not do its job as good as the Extreme IV. I’m not going to use any after market cooler for this video card, I’m going to water cool it. Arctic needs to put some information inside the manual about clearence issues. Not one YT channel said something about it and Artic also nothing. That is not a good thing doesn’t matter how good this cooler is.

I agree, it was a disappointing experience to either have to use a bottom slot (only x8) with poorer air-flow (in my old case) or change CPU coolers to something else. The Arctic III is also strangely more expensive than the IV despite looking less substantial.

In the Netherlands the III is cheaper or the same price as the IV.
But again, this after market cooler is very good, the IV version rev.2. And here you have another issue, there are lot of IV versions around and not the revision 2. You need the revision 2 to fit the RX 5700 XT. And I found something else as well. The Arctic UK site has very detailed information and specifications you need to be sure that this after market cooler does fit your motherboard or case. But again, no mention on clearance issues, it needs to be mentioned that there is not only an issue with beefy Air Coolers but RAM clearance is also an issue. When I overview my experience with this cooler than I can only advice, when you want to use it buy a vertical GPU mount solution and/or other solution because you will run in to problems down the install process in your case. The idea behind this cooler is good, it works but compatibility sucks big time.

1 Like

Actually Timmy Joe did. He did two vids on fitting the 5700XT with the Arctic coolers - both versions. I mean well, you already can guess the outcome but still, might be fun to watch.

I bought my 5700XT knowing full well what I was getting into as far as the cooler but, I wanted to test for myself PCIe 4.0 /GPU with a Zen2 CPU and x570 board. (knew it was not going to amount to much. How could it really since even PCIe 3 is not saturated with modern cards). Also, I needed a new card for the test bench and none of the Nvidia offerings attracted me. I will replace the 5700XT most likely with an AIB card soon and put this reference on a shelf for display as a conversation piece. (or a backup of needed)

It’s not a bad card and I am not going to defend it fan-boy style but it works really well despite its therms and noise - and has given me hopes for what a 58xx or 59xx card may bring to the table - if those rumors were to pan out.

2 Likes

I watched both videos and I have to agree with him to a certain point. I had much better results with cooling my RX 5700 XT with the IV revision 2 then he did. What did I do different, no idea. But the same issues he had with the RAM clearance etc I can confirm 100%. The IV revision 2 is a good concept but the compatibility is so bad it becomes ridiculous. I ran in to so much to install that thing in to my case that I had enough and reverted back to the stock cooler but with the “washer mod” and thermal paste. I added also the thermal pads from the IV to the back plate of the stock cooler. This worked perfectly and I can install my video card in the first PCIe slot again with no issues at all… :slight_smile: This after market cooler comes to an end for me, meaning this is not for me. Water cooling is the next step.

2 Likes

@GermanShepherd
I’m lazy and have accepted the card for what it is, and as it is, and haven’t done the washer mod or added thermal pads on the back . That said, I am still curious what you’re seeing as far as temp reductions for the memory from adding the thermal pads.

That’s very easy, I used AIDA64 tot test this cooler.
The GPU temps did not get higher than around 65C -67C, GPU Hot spot temps did not get higher than 87C-89C, VRM and MEM temps where within range of 80C. So this cooler did its job in my case, much better than the stock cooler. Reverting back tot the stock cooler with the washer mod, thermal paste and thermal pads the stock cooler performs almost the same now with one exception, the noise is still horrible, like a jet engine. But in a strange way I love this video card. Shitty driver, bad reviews, runs hot and sounds like a jet engine but still I love this card. I’m rooting for this video card, and no not like a fan-boy. I just moved over from Intel to AMD and the journey had its hickups, troubles and did not went smooth at all. But now I’m all in for AMD, it can get only better…!

1 Like

@GermanShepherd
Appreciate the update, thanks