In Search Of A Great Set Of Wireless Earbuds - Anyone Have Any Suggestions Or Recommendations?

As the title states it, I’m currently in the search for a REALLY great set of wireless earbuds, but these will be used as a “secondary daily-driver” like when I’ll be out & about. Plus, I will be getting my first phone sometime soon once I’m ready to which means I won’t have to borrow mom’s anymore! :smiley:

I ought to mention what matters to me in terms of important for a pair of wireless earbuds: I prefer something with overall fantastic mic quality, something that has SUPER great, balanced/crystal-clear audio, Noise Cancelation is not super important, but it would be a nice to have. Also, something that just feels nice & comfortable & preferably under $275 USD as a whole. And of course, wireless so no tangling of cables! :+1:

Now, I HAVE so far done a bit of research/digging & I have at least managed to find 1 set of earbuds that appears to suit my needs: The JBL Live Free 2 TWS which came out back in late April. The only problem is there aren’t a TON of reviews out there for them; just a few, but the reviews that I have found give these bad boys high praise to say the least. But still, I’m curious to know if there are any other sets of earbuds that might suit my needs or if these are the best choice overall? :thinking:

Just asking around for opinions/advice/suggestions/recommendations on this, topic. And of course, if I DID end up forgetting anything or if you guys need more details or have any questions for me, please be sure to ask & I will be sure to reply! :ok_hand: Thanks in advance to anyone here whom can be of help! :slight_smile:

This is a three options, pick two situation.

With a budget just shy of 300€ you can get some nice headphones for sure. My most expensive pair is cheaper than that, requires an external DAC and Amp though.

Concerning reviewers, especially on Youtube:
Flavour-of-the-Month Hype trains selling the best thing ever (again) are very common thanks for some chinese brands forcing their way into the US market.

Headphones that were good (at least the ones with a normal cable hanging out) will stay good!

If you got something like the Fiio BTR 3K or Fiio BTR 5 you can pick any in-ear with a cable and get better sound than most wireless headphones/in-ears.

All of this is to say, I am a cable-guy when it comes to audio. For the price of cheap wired in-ears, you are getting way better quality than wireless buds can hope to deliver.

1 Like

Look, I get your point & I appreciate you replying! :+1: But I did state clearly that I would much prefer a WIRELESS experience as opposed to with a wire/cable. Anyway, hope you’ll respect my decision… :man_shrugging:

1 Like

By all means, the right tool for the job, as they say.

Just wanted to mention the option and benefits of cables.

1 Like

Yeah, I hear you, but honestly speaking, I just don’t like cables/wires getting in my way!

The Sony earbuds are really really nice. I have listened to my friends park and was impressed.

If these are meant to be an ‘on-the-go’ set of earbuds, I think you could do quite well in the $100 area. Keep in mind that you’re probably not going to be in a setting where critical listening is feasible, and since they are Bluetooth the quality will already be taking a hit, so it may be a bit of an overspend to shell out nearly $300 for a pair.

If you want to minimize the reduction in SQ, look for earbuds that support ‘AptX Lossless’ or ‘LDAC’. ‘AptX Lossless’ should give you roughly CD quality and LDAC even higher quality than that. You’ll need to make sure your phone also supports those codecs to take advantage though. I don’t think there’s much LDAC support at the moment.

I will say the JBLs you mentioned are typically a style I stay away from only because of the bigger look of them. My first pair of Bluetooth earbuds were a set of Jaybird X2’s, and while they’re not the bigger bean shape like the JBLs, they did stick a little further out of my ear like those do, and I could never get them to stay in that great.

Since then I’ve bought a cheap pair of Aukey EPT-21’s, gen1 Skullcandy Indy’s, and a newer pair of Skullcandy Indy Evo Wireless earbuds. The Skullcandy Indy Evo’s probably have the best sound, and seem pretty comfortable, but my go-to’s usually end up being the cheap Aukey EPT-21’s. They’re the smallest, lightest wait, and never have pairing issues. I’ve had a lot of frustrating times trying to get the Skullcandy Indy Evo’s to connect right when I’m about to go out for a walk. And even then I sometimes have issues where they cut out a lot when my phone is just in my pocket. I have to take my phone out of my pocket and hold it just to keep the connection solid. While other times they can be in another room and be just fine.

Since then I’ve tried to stick with one that will be more ‘flush’ with my ear.
I have a set of Skullcandy

TBH, I honestly DID consider the Sony WH-1000XM4s, but I’ve heard from various sources that the fit & feel of the earbuds will vary from perosoin to person.

I’d say so those suggestions are decent to say the least, but I ought to mention that as a rule of good thumb, I typically try to stay away from the cheaper brands. Hopefully, you see my point…

I’m not sure that I do! My best experience with earbuds is my cheapest pair.

I think you’ll probably like those JBL’s just fine if it’s for listening to music and making calls. If you plan on watching video you may notice some latency issue :

Got it, but I don’t actually watch videos on a console nor do I have a tv; if I’m going to use these for videos, they will of course be viewed on the phone of course OR with my pc. I should have mentioned that I’m also thinking of using these earbuds with my pc from time to time, but I’m sure that won’t be an issue… :wink:

:man_shrugging: Be prepared to be surprised I guess. I have audio delays when using my Bluetooth speaker when connected to my phone and PC when I try watching YouTube videos. Like those JBL’s my Bluetooth speaker doesn’t support any codecs like AptX HD that would offer any sort of low latency features.

I think you know which ones you want, so you might as well just get 'em! Can take advantage of Amazon’s generous return policy if they’re not quite what you thought they would be.

1 Like

Exactly! Besides, I feel like these will be a great buy & an overall excellent choice once I’m ready to purchase them! :smiley:

Amazon and if you don’t like them return them.

I’m a headphones guy, but my brother likes his airpods pro despite having a android phone. He’s tried the lg tone free and reported that anc not being as good as his airpods

If you want suggestions, Linus has a bunch of earbuds impressions

3 Likes

Uh, I think know how Amazon works as a whole, okay dude? :laughing:

I’m aware & have probably seen all of these at some point since I’m pretty much a dedicated fan on LTT as a whole! :heart:

1 Like

I trusted Crinacle when it comes to hearbuds and I gotta give it to him: the Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro really impressed me. They have a slight V-shaped sound but it noticeable only if you regularly listed to a moslty neutral tuned pair of buds. But that doesn’t take away from how good they sound for being TWS. There is no “HD” codec if you’re on a non-Samsung device but I don’t think it’s woth getting hung up on it. I was perfectly fine listening to my CD quality music on them.

The cons are fit, that will really depend on your ears. I could fit them, but after an hour or so they would start hurting. ANC is okay, it just takes out all the base frequencies from constant noises turning them into lower volume whoosh sound. While listening to music noise practically disappear even at low volumes.

1 Like

Avoid apple headphones if you ever want to connect them to a Windows PC. I nearly threw them away once because they refused outright to connect to my laptop no matter what I did, and even when I do get them connected the microphone is useless. I suspect this is a Microsoft problem as well as Apple’s, but my Jabra Elite wireless headphones connect first time every time, and can be used for handsfree zoom / teams / skype. YMMV though.

Good luck

1 Like

Just to be clear- that’s your thoughts on the Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro, right? Interesting. :thinking: