I'm struggling with keeping myself interested in a projects

This is not really going to be a blog as much as just a rant about how I don’t like my mind sometimes.

The more observant and psychotic amongst you may have noticed I had started like a dozen of projects and finished… quite honestly non of them.
There was my YouTube channel, them there was this game I was making, then there was this other game I was making… Twice… Then there was this PC build project I never finished, I just replaced a bunch of parts, so now I never will, there was this Mac G5 thing that now I’m too scared to finish because of some power tools I’m afraid to use, there was the recipe thread, there was a bunch of other stuff I haven’t even posted about…
Long story short - I lose interest in a project fairly quickly and I kinda want to finish them. I really do want to finish them, but my mind jumps on a new thing and stays there…

I know there is no magical pill or potion or a wand that can help me, but just some ideas as to how can I stay focused long enough to finish a bloody thing will be nice…

1 Like

afraid you’l break the case with power tools? DOE EET! if you do nothing, it sits on the side till you rust away. If you break it, what difference is that really?

1 Like

Afraid that the power tools may break in my hands… And then 30000rpm may embed something in my eye and I have read some horror stories about dremels loosening up and throwing disks away and so on…
I really wont even turn my Dremel on. My mind is too poisoned by those fears now. I will just sell my brand new Dremel I never even turned on.

1 Like

boooooooooo

1 Like

Don’t push too hard, and the dremmell will slowly, slowly do it’s job.

People put the low powered ones in their mouths

(well, electric toothbrushes. but close enough)

[Okay, not close at all]

3 Likes

Also, you’d look a total badass with a hook to replace the hand you loose

1 Like

Honestly I rather use one of those

And an eyepatch. And a peg-leg.

But you’d have to stop your job, so you couldn;t afford new movies, so you’d have to grow a black beard…

How on earth does that help with angles case mods?
I mena, yeah, for flat peices… but on a case?

May I please keep my hand?
Also this isn’t really a thread about that…

I kinda want to start a new game Dev project and finish it for a change but I just know I will lose interest somewhere around the mid point…

1 Like

Do, or Do Not… as Yoda would say…

3 Likes

Quite a lot of white hair in there already…

1 Like

Become 1/2-Santa and give away your 1/2 finished projects…

3 Likes

I’m just like you in most of the things I do. I want to start or start many projects but complete very few of them, some just out of OCD. But I learned to not bash on myself too much because of it because it’s not work, it’s not my education that will feed me in the future but it’s just something I do until the novelty factor wears off. I always complete important tasks and that’s what matter, and I’m sure you do aswell.

1 Like

By living in fear…you let the terrorists win.

Just do it

1 Like

ftfy…

1 Like

For the dremel just practice on progressively harder stuff so you get a feel for how it reacts.

Start with Styrofoam, completely harmless if something goes wrong, then some.plastic and then wood, then soft metal like aluminium and finally the steel for the case. By then younwill know how it will feel and react to various things and how to hold it so you are out of the line of danger if the disc goes.

Think of it this way, I had a 9inch cutting disc on a much more powerful grinder blow up and the protective stuff did its job. Any home gamer stuff will be good for protecting you.

3 Likes

Arduino Verses Evil would approve this message.

Keep your D…

For some reason I always thought of his as dAVE, but I guess French Canackistan might be different?

1 Like

I don’t know his name but have always felt like it was Dave. He has made reference to the other Dave over on EEVblog in the past but I could have misheard that.

1 Like

Big Clive refers to him as Dave, but I don’t know if he knows something we don’t

1 Like