I'm struggling with keeping myself interested in a projects

Use hand tools instead.

1 Like

I know the “Do I really”-feel that sets in after some time of doing (or not doing) a project.

Dremel

Highly unlikely, unless <$25 off Ebay.

Sparks flying in your face is called a hint.
A hint to get your face away from there!

Huh? How does?
Use the EZ Lock system for disks then, no flying off from there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8v6dNMcp_g

Dremel advice: Hearing protection, eye protection, gloves help against hot things flying about, go slow.

Solid safety advice.

Exactly, five minutes of manual work will make you reach to any power tool near you.

2 Likes

Is a dremmel really a power tool, or more of a hand tool?

I mean , it’s fast… but still…

If the work is done by a motor it’s a power tool in my mind. But english isn’t my first language, so…

2 Likes

It is 130W in the palm of your hands, then again, a hairdryer is >1800W.

3 Likes

Thanks.
I don’t use power tools- not becaue I’m afraid of them,. just because I am a lazy bastartd, and the most intense tool I use is a screwriver.

A non-motorised(and non-sonic) screwdriver.

Most intense tool for me would be the exacto knife, little bastards!

1 Like

Same, mostly. I would use a sonic though.

Why not skip Sonic and go straight for Laser?

Power tools aren’t too bad… Put on some safety glasses and just send it.

As staying motivated can be as simple as casting your phone asside or may involve scheduling and self incetivizing like “if I get this done I’ll go get a pizza”

2 Likes

As far as the safety issue, wear safety goggles. Not glasses because small stuff can bounce off your cheek, then the back side of the glass, then into your eye. I’ve had 2 trips to the doc because of this to remove metal particles from my eye. This was also using much bigger dremels aka 4.5" grinder.

1 Like

Every time ive had this happen its cause I let the glasses slide down my nose. Still, goggles are safer

1 Like

Laser can only unlock doors, Sonic screwdriver can also lock them again. :stuck_out_tongue:

But back on topic: Start small! Set yourself a simple goal and do that. Enjoy that feeling of accomplishing something. Afterwards set yourself another simple goal for tomorrow. Don’t rush it. Just go small steps. Eventually you will accomplish bigger things.

1 Like

Laser welding is a thing, you know?

I think this thread can’t stay focused on the topic… Therefore it’s not helping me at all :grin:

2 Likes

There are the obvious things, when you end up on Youtube, put on music/podcast instead and get working on a project.

Just deploy your safety squints and everything will be hunky dory!
But really though, even a cheap pair of safety glasses is better than nothing.
Another good tip is to not be in the path of the possibly exploding disk.
I have blown up a cutting wheel on an angle grinder but I was not in the path of the broken pieces.
I was perpendicular to the angle cutter and behind the casing.

Hmmm, as for the lack of finished projects, like most goals give yourself a reward at the end. Insensitive your work.
Make a check list/plan and try to stick to it until you are satisfied with the work.

why are you still on the thread, instead of already dremmeling stuff?

3 Likes

dunno about your projects, but jumping from one project to another and leaving things unfinished is something i used to be fairly bad about.

for me part of it i think is down to anxiety and laziness, once the mental reward of seeing something new starting to come together wears off the first roadblock or minor obstruction in progress brings things to a halt,
combine that with the internet and all the interesting things people are doing out there to watch its easy to get stuck in consume mode.
You’ve Gotta find a way to get out of consume mode and back into create mode.

For me, ditching a lot of online media/limiting it, even if just for a little helped a ton.

Instead of idle browsing/reading/etc just do nothing for a day or two. Once boredom kicks in the projects will look a lot more attractive as they’ll give your mind something to do.

also, changing directions for a bit seems to help with motivation.

haven’t been as interested in gaming lately, been kinda meh, wound up picking up my guitar for the first time in a few months, played around with it for a few hours for a couple of nights and now i’m sort of back in the mood for gaming again.

The brain needs a varied diet too i guess.

I started a little tile engine in c++ with SDL a couple of years ago, no real goal of fixing it, its just eternally on the backburner, but every 6 months i’ll get bored and add a few new things here and there.

some projects are a cool idea, but will never fully “come together” and will be an eternal work in progress (until maybe one day they’re not) and just something i tinker with to clear my mind of the other stuff i’ve got going on. I’ve accepted it, and am cool with it.

As long as they don’t wind up becoming a money pit, or an obstruction to my everyday life, meh, the little projects can pile up i guess, but If theres a need i’ve figured out how to coerce myself into getting them done.

tldr: there may be a fix, there may not, depending on you and i guess how you look at it.

7 Likes

I’m at work… I can’t Dremel stuff at work…