I'm Getting Rusty

HELLO, WORLD!

Are you ready for some mother fucking Rust?

Welcome to my Devember 2020 Thread.

CUE THE METAL MUSIC

DUH DUH DUHDUHDUH DUUUUUHHHH DUNNANANANANADUNANNAAN BUDAH TA BUDAH TA BUDAHBUDAHBUDAH TAH WEEEEWEEEEWEEEE YOWWWWWWW BWAAAAAA WAH WAH

For Devember 2020 I am going to learn RUST. The based language that told Google they can Go you know what :wink:

Why Rust?

For job prospects and to get deeper involved in a few projects at work. Also I think itā€™s a cool language.

What are you building?

A flight pattern software. Calm down, NSA, itā€™s going to be fictional. Something that would make Dijkstra proud, though.

Where are you hosting?

Iā€™ll be a cool L1T kid and host on Linode, but Iā€™ve had an account for several years. No free credit for me :sunglasses:

What is your environment?

Iā€™ll be using a Linux desktop environment, vim, and a few plugins like YouCompleteMe and Vim Airline. Obviously Rust SDK will be installedā€¦

Can I ask you a question?

Go ahead :slight_smile:

TODO

- GitLab links
- Build environment (I donā€™t know if Rust is actually installed :thonk:)
- Domain
- Server shit

9 Likes

Yo!. This will be so dope. I have been looking to learn rust, but I have not had any need to create anything new in a while.

1 Like

Hey! Thanks man! Iā€™m looking forward to it. I have a very small amount of experience already but itā€™s the typical Enterprise dev experience of ā€œOH shit we gotta get this figured out just rip examples from the tutorial site/StackOverflow and get it workingā€. Hasnā€™t been a pleasant experience lol. I want to use this time to ā€œtake it slowā€ and get it right, so when I go back to hammering it at work Iā€™ll be able to guide and lead the team rather than just frantically steal shitty examples.

1 Like

oh boy Iā€™m here already

1 Like

Build environment is setup:

3 Likes

Thank you for your support, dear sir/madam. If you find this software of use, please consider donating precious shekles to the cause.

2 Likes

Everything else is done

Now I guess itā€™s time to actually start building the application.

TODO

- Build something magnificent
- Convert the site back end to Rust
- Call mother

2 Likes

Are you going to use Actix Web?

Actix is written in Iron-Oxide :wink:

3 Likes

That or Rocket

https://rocket.rs/

2 Likes

cool~

2 Likes

Thats awesome!
Iā€™m also using Rust for my devember2020 project. I will definitely be checking in on this

Iā€™m a C/Javascript dev been doing a bit of go and a bit of rust.

The multithreaded event loop stuff is crazy!

Any web framework built on Hyper is gonna be great :wink: