Welcome to Level1 Devember!

I’m in…
As every time I will try and make a game and I will just finish some basic mechanic and be done with it :smiley:
I will do what I can to basically commit 30 hours or so during the month.
I may even start now-ish to set up some basic stuff so I don’t do setup for the first week or so…

7 Likes

Not sure I want anyone to see the mess I can make given an editor…

Anyway. Brace yourself for the attempt at making (and finishing) a small puzzle game.

10 Likes

My daily work includes maintaining and managing complex linux systems, automation and various human factors. I do have a CS background and like to find bugs, features and solutions.

This project was born around 2 years ago as a small proof-of-concept after talking to a friend about “Hey, how can we make the system boot into a fully encrypted disk” - the lazy way.
Going through multiple levels of paranoia, best practices and security knowledge, this is where I landed so far in the implementation.

Link to the Project blog forum post and GitHub repository.

Goal for the #devember2020 is to implement notification and some signing check application (android app or similar) to allow better control over when things are allowed to happen/trusted.

Update: Due to full time work and other coding I did not get diving into the android app part, but did add a small perl script call inside my ssh authentication portion on the “key holder” side to notify me when an unlock event/attempt happens.

Side note: I did learn that Android phones do not boot without battery, but soldering usb directly (to the where the battery normally connects) does work (Disclaimer: do not try this at home without reading docs on what you actually do, or when the device contains data you want to access later on).

6 Likes

I will join in and likely make a game. I have several side projects that I have been tinkering around with, making and re-making, so this will be a good excuse to pick one and stay focused on it.

So is Devember starting early, or is this thread for getting hyped for the next 2 months?

6 Likes

Not sure how much work will be required for this and if it will last to december, but I was planning to start on this now so might as well try to join: project thread. I’m terrible at naming, so no repo yet.

The goal is to make a small web interface to the Nyaa torrent tracker to try organize the mess of releases to make it a bit more convenient.

I will certainly not do anything on Mondays, but I will try to get a little bit work on it each day otherwise. My Github has been very quiet the last two years and I want to try to get back to doing hobby coding a bit more regularly.

4 Likes

My Devember project is to learn the Rust programming language by creating a flight pattern and prediction software. Be sure to lick that like button and smash that subscribe

HIT THE BELL TO BE NOTIFIED EVERY TIME YOUR INSANITY JUMPS UP TWO POINTS

6 Likes

I see why L1T recommends Linode :wink:

12 Likes

Hello, World!

9 Likes
8 Likes

Hi, my name is Max, and I’m a hobby software developer(would like to be a professional sometime), and I really like Lua.
I’ve just created the post for my Devember project, Lua Libraries for crazy bootable devember challenge

As the title might already suggest, my goal is to produce a small, bootable image(for VM’s and real hardware) using buildroot(a toolchain for creating embedded Linux images) that runs a few cool example programs for my Lua libraries.

Specifically, I want a custom window-based GUI, and a simple game, along with some other cool example programs(without using SDL, X11, graphics drivers, image formats other than bitmap, or really anything I haven’t implemented myself, besides the kernel and some core utils).

I’ve implemented a lot of that separately already, in a hacky, ugly way, and I want to do it again(in a maybe less ugly way).

13 Likes

Cool stuff!

Happy codding ya˙all. :smiley:

5 Likes

Just posted my devember project on the community blog

I am creating a virtual tabletop for RPGs similar to roll20.

8 Likes

Very nice!

I’ve been brewing a Discord bot to outsource all the character sheet forms, roll20 links, and all that jazz for some friends’ homebrew for fun. And, y’know, learning experience.

I will watch with great interest.

3 Likes

Awesome!
I will keep the forum posted

1 Like

Hi, I’m making a discord bot that uses rich presence, chat functionality and docker to easily spin up game servers. Mainly because I don’t want to SSH all the time.

I’m working for a startup company at the minute so it’s time when I can find it.

But it’s already in a working state and I’m just adding features now.

7 Likes

I would just remind everyone to exercise your right to vote, cause all the options are pretty much equal…

2 Likes

I was super hyped to get started with linode but you’ll need to enter a valid CC that isn’t as common in the EU was it is in the US, so sadly no Linode Devember for me. :frowning:

Well, time to check out another hosting service for Devember 2020 :partying_face: :desktop_computer:

1 Like

I’m Jonathan. I’m a grad student at Mayo Clinic working in medical image processing but I’ve been wanting to tackle an unrelated imaging problem. The problem, I’m bad at taking photos. I probably can’t use coding skills to make me a better photographer but maybe I can make the photos a little better.

My Devember project is to train a neural network to de-noise and de-blur photos.

7 Likes

I would absolutely love some ideas here. I was recently able to troubleshoot a huge spike in I/O delay in my server on one drive. I discovered that Hybrid drives (Seagate Fire Cudas) do not play well with ZFS and seem to produce a significant amount of I/O delay. as seen here… ZFS high I/O issue [txg_sync] 100% and [z_trim_int] 60% to 70%

I am also working on this project which now includes my WD Mycloud EX2, a Cisco 10 port switch, and the new addition of a HP Elite Desk 800 G2 with intel i5 5600T processor in this build log… [Build Log] Home lab in a box (first time trying)-x470d4u Proxmox

I have been able to make this system work well for me with Plex services (Passthrough enabled), and Pi-hole for fun.

I have a few ideas of things I need to work on such as understanding the mailing system and trying to merge the motherboard and proxmox notifications into one email (Gmail). I believe I have proxmox working as I had a disk error prior that was fixed immediately.

I also recently purchased a pi 4B. What a fun little device!

I would love some ideas of what to do next!!! I have the time if you read the intro to my build log…lol. I can do this all day everyday but I am very new to this. The site you mentioned looks like it might be a better way to learn because it is guided, I have to admit self teaching starting out is a bit rough. At least for me and I have 4 reference books. I dont know if they are the best but hey I’m trying!

I really look forward to this this month and seeing what comes out of it for people!

Thanks again for more great content!

2 Likes

I’m fairly new myself but I don’t mind answering any questions. Whats up?

1 Like