If installing Windows 10 today, you might want NOT to go online during

I read an article about this a couple days ago, on PCWorld I think. Apparently they made it a bit less aggressive for the 1903 installer, but they still push for the Microsoft account as the preference.

Wouldn’t surprise me if eventually they forced the Microsoft account. No more local accounts. At least for home users. Windows as a service, after all. Darkest timeline would be that leading to subscription models.

Thankfully I don’t have to deal with the OOBE at work, as we image everything.

1 Like

What image are you using?

I am disappointed in all of you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Maybe it’s because you’re using pro?

1 Like

Maybe. Although, that’s something baked into the EFI path because I’m never asked to specify.

I can try home on a VM

1 Like

Honestly, them defaulting to Seattle time is reason for me to never use Windows again :rage:

2 Likes

@Goalkeeper

home network

:wink:

SHAME

Microsoft is evil!

Microsoft is forcing WL accounts!

AdminDev is a paid shill for M$$$$!!!

Ladies and gentlemen, before spreading propaganda, please make sure that others cannot validate and test the medium you have claimed to use :sunglasses:

As for now, I’m going to sip my tea and checkout this latest release of Windows :sunglasses:

11 Likes

You know the “Offline Account” thing is a lot more visible and more noticeable than I remember. Remember trying to create an offline account with Windows 8? Now that was a PITA.

3 Likes

Now that You did not cover all the bases and made an ass of yourself… You did not cover all possible install methods or the all the possible variations of install methods.

Windows 10 Home 1903 and Windows 10 Pro 1903. What else is left, education and enterprise? I find that very difficult to believe that those require a Microsoft account…

They don’t but they do… Last install I did was pretty hidden. They try and make it appear like you have to sign in or make an account.

:man_shrugging: I don’t know what to tell you. I’ve seen these claims for over four years and every time I try it I’m easily able to select a local account.

Maybe I’m just a better Windows user than most.

1 Like

Its your source. I do not keep windows ten images… I am breaking up with windows… :slight_smile:

I haven’t seen any changes. You can still pick a local account, and the installer is still a dark pattern trying to guide the user to not do that.

1 Like

You’re being generous with that term. What Microsoft is doing is fine print, not dark pattern. This is dark pattern:

1 Like

When you look at the screen, all you see is a giant box telling you to sign in with Microsoft. The “offline account” link isn’t underlined and is situated right next to and styled identically to the privacy policy and ToU, things everybody ignores by reflex. That is a classic dark pattern.

I will make a point of looking for that… next nuke of windows I do.

The only time I’ve had no ability for creating an offline account is if I’m reinstalling from an oem recovery partition. But as for a clean iso, never had an issue.

I refurbish computers for a living, if this was the case the company I work for would be screwed

3 Likes

I will test further as opportunity arises in a live environment. I can only say that this behavior was seen on several systems using keys built with Microsoft’s MediaCreationTool, long prior to when the change in online behavior ocurred.

Since the default behavior of the ISO’s have not changed, it’s possible that nothing happens under a typical virtual environment. It would be easy for Microsoft’s online component to check some hardware ID’s to see that it’s not a live system. They do check hardware ID’s already anyway.

I’ll ask for my colleagues to holler the next time they install a system so I can have a look at it and take pictures as necessary. On Tuesday I was too baffled by it all to think to snap some.

For now at least if anyone were to encounter the same situation and really don’t want to login or create a Microsoft Account, you’ll know that a workaround is to disconnect the system from the internet.

2 Likes

not having the system connected to the net is my de facto routine for any windows 8- 10 installs.

3 Likes