If installing Windows 10 today, you might want NOT to go online during

I posted something like that then re read the thread guidelines for the windows section :smiley:

But yes, i agree. Then again Microsoft doesn’t need Windows on the client side these days as they’ve got you by the balls for the most part with 365 and azure… and maintaining that can be done from a web client, iOS app, Linux box, mac, etc…

But for the money side, they’d rather you keep paying a 365 or Azure subscription…

1 Like

If memory serves, it’s been in place since Windows 10 build 17127.rs4_release.180318-0047 (at least for the en-US releases), I wrote a post about it on Peerlyst at the time (~April 2018). I also had a video, which I’ve since deleted (mainly because old windows build - not indicative of future windows builds), but AFAIK it’s still there as of downloading the iso from Microsoft yesterday for a VM.

I should also clarify that It only happens for the first account created during the OOBE part with Cortana, not when creating an account through any other method. They included this with the change to Windows 10 that no longer allows the disabling of the “WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service” except through a workaround.

big if true
5ish days

Just installed 1903 with usb installer a couple of weeks ago… I noticed the new install setup has changed ever so slightly across the last several versions.

1 Like

I read an article about this a couple days ago, on PCWorld I think. Apparently they made it a bit less aggressive for the 1903 installer, but they still push for the Microsoft account as the preference.

Wouldn’t surprise me if eventually they forced the Microsoft account. No more local accounts. At least for home users. Windows as a service, after all. Darkest timeline would be that leading to subscription models.

Thankfully I don’t have to deal with the OOBE at work, as we image everything.

1 Like

What image are you using?

I am disappointed in all of you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Maybe it’s because you’re using pro?

1 Like

Maybe. Although, that’s something baked into the EFI path because I’m never asked to specify.

I can try home on a VM

1 Like

Honestly, them defaulting to Seattle time is reason for me to never use Windows again :rage:

2 Likes

@Goalkeeper

home network

:wink:

SHAME

Microsoft is evil!

Microsoft is forcing WL accounts!

AdminDev is a paid shill for M$$$$!!!

Ladies and gentlemen, before spreading propaganda, please make sure that others cannot validate and test the medium you have claimed to use :sunglasses:

As for now, I’m going to sip my tea and checkout this latest release of Windows :sunglasses:

11 Likes

You know the “Offline Account” thing is a lot more visible and more noticeable than I remember. Remember trying to create an offline account with Windows 8? Now that was a PITA.

3 Likes

Now that You did not cover all the bases and made an ass of yourself… You did not cover all possible install methods or the all the possible variations of install methods.

Windows 10 Home 1903 and Windows 10 Pro 1903. What else is left, education and enterprise? I find that very difficult to believe that those require a Microsoft account…

They don’t but they do… Last install I did was pretty hidden. They try and make it appear like you have to sign in or make an account.

:man_shrugging: I don’t know what to tell you. I’ve seen these claims for over four years and every time I try it I’m easily able to select a local account.

Maybe I’m just a better Windows user than most.

1 Like

Its your source. I do not keep windows ten images… I am breaking up with windows… :slight_smile:

I haven’t seen any changes. You can still pick a local account, and the installer is still a dark pattern trying to guide the user to not do that.

1 Like

You’re being generous with that term. What Microsoft is doing is fine print, not dark pattern. This is dark pattern:

1 Like

When you look at the screen, all you see is a giant box telling you to sign in with Microsoft. The “offline account” link isn’t underlined and is situated right next to and styled identically to the privacy policy and ToU, things everybody ignores by reflex. That is a classic dark pattern.

I will make a point of looking for that… next nuke of windows I do.