I3-7350K intel's Budget overclocker!

i think this is targeted at two different (or maybe the same?) groups of budget gamers.
the ones who want to try out overclocking but are scared to ruin the expensive chip.
and the ones who want to buy a gaming pc now with a tight budget and want upgradability so they can replace the i3 for a i5/i7 a few months or a year or so down the road.
both groups have around 500-700$ and are going to spend around 50 on a case 200 on a gpu, 50 on ram, 50 on psu, 0-100 on a cooler(dem aio watercoolers), 100 on a mobo, and have little left to spend on a cpu. you could go cheap on the gpu and get a better cpu, but cpus are easier to resell, and you will have a better experience with a beefier gpu +
weak cpu then strong cpu + weak gpu.

Yey, dual core cpu at 2017... Are you excited for dual cores? That's the best exciting thing Intel has to offer... Dual core... I'll harp on this lake an angel with Parkinsons...

i3's are for people who can't afford i5's and just don't want to buy AMD at any terms :D

Intel has been milking on dual and quad cores for years, I hope Zen will deliver competition

1 Like

Except in things that won't make use of more cores, in which case, an OCed i3 will be a better choice than a low end i5.

not quite

celerons / i3's allow for a cheap initial build (while still beating amd for gaming on broke ass api's) and then modular upgrades to something much more decent.

Here is hoping amd give them a solid trouncing in price / performance

but... really hoping intel doesnt do a dick move on zen's launch and drastically cut their cpu costs right out of the gate, lets face it... intel could even undercut them and easily absorb the losses while their competitor flounders.

Could but won't...

For example - as a years passed by and amd didn't put out new cpu's, intel did just opposite - prices were slightly lift for i3's, i5's and i7's (using almost monopol situation)

I never understand the buy cheap and upgrade later concept. By the time you are ready to upgrade, the used part is already cheaper new and people don't like used. Is it a 50% hit? More? Is it outdated and obsolete? Best laid plans of mice and men...

http://wccftech.com/intel-preparing-unlocked-i3-7350k-42ghz-dual-core-cpu/
"The i3 7350K is part of the Kaby Lake family which features the Skylake micro-architecture with a few notable manufacturing process enhancements which boost frequencies and power efficiency over ordinary Skylake parts."
So basically this is like Godavari, a tweak but still Skylake.
If both Intel and Amd start pushing skylake and zen to the max it will be good times for us! It will be interesting to see how this thing OC's

If the multi-thread performance really is higher than a 4670K, that's pretty crazy.

They were saying they didn't have an overclockable I3 before cause it would siphon off sales from the I5's.
Plus they want to do whatever they can to take the spotlight off Zen. I would expect to see some OC leaks soon

Probably going to get one

I find that hard to beleive because single core performance is only a tiny bit better, and Hyper threading offers 30% gains at best.

2 Likes

4670k is Haswell @ 3.4 with 3.8 turbo
7350K is Skylake @ 4.0 with 4.2 turbo
Ofcourse geekbench and real games will differ allot and if I had an i5 I would not be pulling out my wallet for this. Honestly I am quite comfortable with my 8320e for another 18 months.
It is still nice to see what intel can do with a 2 core when properly motivated.

1 Like

AM4 needs to get here even sooner

I thought you made some really good and valid points.
The fact that geekbench was the only bench stood out to me.

Bigtime!

1 Like

Numbers don't make sense, an i3 OC'd is only 20% above an i5 4670K in Single Core, but it's tied in Multithreading? Would be nice, but that i3 is also priced like a non-OC'd i5 too unfortunately, but prices may drop.

1 Like

I think it makes sense, the Skylake core is an improvement over Haswell. It is "wider" and better at SMT, that also got a notable boost in Haswell over Sandy/Ivy. Why the higher clocked Skylake i3 beats every AMD CPU in games, included in DX12/Vulkan. That OP single thread wins all, and if Kaby clocks higher it will be even stronger.

If that i3 overclocks well it will be a killer budget gaming/desktop CPU.

Edit: And yeah, Geekbench is notorious for not detecting Clockspeed, cache size etc correctly. Test it yourself on an overclocked CPU. You can get all kinds of numbers from it for clockspeed under Windows. I noticed that it is much more correct under Linux.

Seems really cool that Intel finally is unlocking a i3, but it wont be worth it for most, like add a little bit more and you get a i5. It will be prized shitty here in Sweden so it will be the same old thing here.

That geekbench is joke. i3 winning i5 in multi-thread? Yeah right, we'll see about that

12 points doesnt really mean beating.

i am impressed by the single core performance though