I3-7350K intel's Budget overclocker!

lawl, I just looked at the Atom X5-z8300 vs the Q6600... The Q6600 is literally 2.5x as fast.

The Core m3-6Y30 is only slightly faster (by less than 100 points in Passmark) because it can manage to turbo to 2.2GHz.

1 Like

Can confirm. Have an M-5Y10C, is slower than a dead cat swimming in a pool of molasses in the middle of an Arctic winter.

2 Likes

Is this chip going to cost 350 dollars as well

*Antarctic Winter

But yeah, the m3's and stuff are crap, basically a step above the Atom, so for ultra low power, I guess it's okay. But there is no good performance.

1 Like

Atoms are THAT slow!? Are we sure this isn't an old Atom?

It's Cherry Trail, literally the latest Atoms that we have as far as I'm aware. For a tablet machine running Windows 10 or a Linux OS, it's not half bad if you don't mind waiting a bit, but for real desktop performance it leaves a lot to be desired.

1 Like

An Atom N450 (The old Hyperthreaded Atom from the Core 2 days) gets a measly 296 points in Passmark. It is literally 1/10th the performance of a Q6600.

But I digress. I derail. What was the topic? Oh right, the i3.

I want one. But I don't want one. AT ALL.

I think Intel is abandoning their Atoms. As for the i3's, I don't like how the underclocked i3's use an i5 and i7 naming scheme with the U at the end. These ultrabook CPUs aren't powerful, but aren't as weak as some might think. In the case of my Tablet PC, my real bottleneck is the damn Integrated Graphics (Intel HD 4400), that's showing it's age in newer games, even some less demanding ones. I'd say they are intro levels as far as desktop level usage goes.

1 Like

What is funny in laptops you can find in the same time - pentiums, i3's, i5's, i7's that are hyperthreaded dual core

1 Like

I don't see anything exciting enough to switch from my Haswell Refresh.

1 Like

AMD comes back to releasing new CPUs and what do you know, Intel did something useful. It is almost as if they have been refusing to do this until they were forced or something. Almost as if they like forcing customers to pay out the ass. It is good business tactics. Just pointing out that there isn't any reason so far as I can tell why they wouldn't allow overclocking on i3s in previous generations.

1 Like

Yeah, but the i3 is priced like a weaker i5 which would still stomp the i3.

1 Like

Bet its single thread still doesnt beat the 4790k :P

...I am going to keep going on my 4790k until it either dies or is totally redundant...

Will be switching back to amd if the price / performance is there at that time.

The i3 at $180 is actually quite a bit more expensive than just buying a 2600K used because that'll just stomp all over the i3. Crank that sucker to 4.5, 4.6GHz, etc... it just isn't even a fair fight.

2 Likes

Except a significant number of people don't buy used.

I can't necessarily blame them because it's hard to know if somebody's been running their chip at 2v for years, but regardless, there seems to be some stigma around used PC parts for some people.

And that's disregarding the "new features" and "faster technology" that many people want.

And god bless those people. CPU's are very hard to break these days. I bought my i5-4590 for 160 euros. It was used for a few months because it's only been released a few months before the guy sold it to me. Practically new, even still had almost 2 years of warranty. But because it was used and most people don't like buying used, the guy couldn't sell it for more than 160. If the people were smarter he could have sold it for maybe 20 euros less than retail. Retail price was 260 euros in my country at the time.

2 Likes

Used CPUs are a hit and miss, although funny enough, I had a problem with a small build, my NEW Athlon X4 845 wasn't working, but a Used $18 A4-5300B did, too bad it's less than half as powerful as Intel's dual core...

AMD's APUs make me sad...

I've had really good luck with used CPUs at the very least. In my experience if they've lasted this long, they'll last for decades more. It's not like I've bought palletloads of CPUs and tested them all, but I've bought at least a dozen. Only CPUs I've ever bought brand-spankin' new are two i3-6100s, an A10-5800K and an Athlon64 X2 4200+,

Cpu almost never die... I think it is bigger chance to get new DOA cpu than used and working chip to die

$55 price premium for the ability to OC on a $125 dual core that's likely already pushed to its practical limits is beyond me. Hell, asking north of a $100 for a dual core in this day and age is already ambitious, hyperthreading or not. It's encroaching on Core i5 territory where it doesn't belong.

I think the dual-cores should be relegated to Celerons, Pentiums should be hyper-threaded dual cores, and Core i3's should be quad cores these days.

I was really hoping Kaby Lake would give me reason to put my 2500K to rest, but I haven't been this disappointed in a while. Looks like I'll have to wait another 2 years for Ice Lake, or Zen.

2 Likes