I now truely know what irony means [windows]

I'm just making comparisons here, so if you have no interest in seeing some odd mirroring of time I request you leave. This is a post partly inspired by a bug I found in windows 7 that is so ridiculously big that it cannot be ignored, but, when I went to go find people to help me figure out what the fuck is happening with it (I'm a linux user I don't know how this bullshit works) the response was just inwar after inwar.

So. Irony. A word that hipsters love so much that they want to describe their birth as it. A word that @Logan wouldn't let go for a month's worth of videos. Prior to now I didn't have a proper description of what that meant and I sure as hell do now.

Let me explain the situation here. I have a windows 7 image I have used for years. If I needed 7, I used that specific image. When I got my 580 it would do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C18olw6mT78

I fiddled with 10 some more. The usual kernel panic from my wireless card, then I found more problems 10 had with a scsi interface that is built into my board. Hell even the wireless cards that I have that, at the start of 10, worked perfectly fine but now 10 cannot identify what they are and constant pop ups happen that are along the lines of "WHAT IS A OO ESS BOO"

The irony is that 10 years ago, yee?, we had windows and linux. No thats not fair, 8, so we have W7 in the picture. 8 years ago windows 7 (and XP) had the best hardware compatibility on the market. Linux was a joke and OSX users were in a massive battle still about PowerPC and intel chips. Windows was the noly thing that really looked sane, to be honest, yet I was still diving into linux one way or another because I was NOT paying for MS office when things like Open Office are free. At the time there was the switch over to pulse, somewhere in there, DE's would make your mouse disappear, and many other problems. I was spared most of the issues, I think, because I had my HP NW8000, one of the most generic workstation laptops on the planet.

Hardware compatibility was laughable at best. Yeah, you could use stuff pre 2005 but unless you wanted to use 3DRAGE cards only you were kinda stuck unless you really really put time into it, at least I was. Over time it got better, more people jumped to linux, hardware manufacturers actually started thinking it was a good idea to work with linux people, and it just got better from there.

Skip to now and linux has the hardware compatibility windows was capable of back then, with the modern developments as well, of course. We have solid GPU drivers, shit actually runs, theres really very little that can knock us down now and we're even at the point where, yeah, you can use linux if you want. Theres no advantage to it really in the sense of working on developing something now that OSX and windows have docker and kdenlive is almost done on windows and..... Lots of stuff has crossed over, is my point.

But, we are now at the point where linux has better hardware compatibility than modern windows and is still developing 800% faster. I find that hilarious.

1 Like

Irony is complaining about windows after trying an old image of windows 7 once that couldn't even start a game when other people can use it just fine.

If you were following my progress the last few weeks, as soon as I added the 580 nothing worked. My previous card worked fine and the system was updated all the way.

So no, windows is just broken.

You here that everyone?

Every person on planet earth that has a 580 and windows 7 , doesn't exist. Nobody else got it working. That driver they made for the 580 to work on 7 , not a real driver , fake news.

There's zero chance it's your fault in any way. It's windows fault.

I'm not going to feed into you. You do this all the time.

Well listen to yourself. Do you really think it's windows fault ? Do you really think there's no possible way this card can work on windows 7?

Or , are you just ranting the same way I rant about how I don't feel like fixing problems with linux and default back to my own OS I like instead. Because that seems much more likely.

Well seeing as how I spent 2 weeks banging my head against it and threw it on a couple forums and no one else had an answer either, plus a moderator on steam that does stuff like this a lot tried to help, yeah, I'll consider it a giant bug in windows 7 that will never be fixed.

Well if I were you , THIS would jump out as a possible issue. Seeing as this is a SPECIFIC image , and you have a SPECIFIC problem , might not hurt to make the os more generic.

I mean I ran a 580 a few years back, and so did several of my friends and we all were able to play games on windows 7 just fine. Seems like your image was the issue and not all windows 7.

Seeing as how it was a dreamspark image that I got, and that its the same exact image you can get on the MS website, I don't really have any desire to persue it any further because that would involve people like barnucles.

RX580 :3 not nvidia

Ahh, well 7 is on extended support now, right? So it is to be expected that newer hardware(although RX580 is just a refresh of the RX480, but that is a different argument) wouldn't work completely (and might never since 7 is pretty much abandon ware from M$ currently.) Example, would be how M$ turned off the ability to update on Ryzen and Kaby Lake, and you wouldn't run an RX580 on a linux distro from roughly 8 years ago and expect compatibility.

WIndows' biggest crutch is that it supports old technologies too much. I'm fairly certain that this card should work normally on a clean install. Instead of using some golden image or whatever you're using, just use a vanilla W7 install and go from there.

Yeah its just weird. No one really has an answer lol.

I gave up yesterday I'll just stick to where I am comfy in linux lol.

Yeah, to echo everyone here, try the direct image from microsoft if you need it, if you don't just go on in your linux life.

No one really has an answer guys.

3 Likes

Well you know tracking down and installing a plain W7 image is just so much work, and who knows if it would really help. Much easier to blame Microsoft because we didn't try to eliminate variables from the problems.

1 Like

Mocking the guy isn't going to solve any problem either.

Not mocking him clearly doesn't work either, since we all recommended him try the plain image and he just throws his hands up saying but linux is just better.