I no longer agree with microsofts EULA and want to use linux mint

should just be able to select the right one and reboot.

1 Like

All options are greyed out. I can’t select anything…

1 Like

Hmm, havent installed the driver from nvidia on linux since like 2007. You got me there.

That is because it sees a manually installed driver, you need to uninstall it first before you will be able to use the driver manager.

To uninstall it you can just pass --uninstall to the nvidia installer you used and it will remove them. Or if you installed via terminal then you can just remove it from there.

Then just reboot and select the appropriate one.

Make sure to have the intel driver installed or else you won’t have any video after removing the nvidia driver.

Edit: The reason you don’t want a manually installed driver is because it will break when there is a kernel update. When you install it with the driver manager or through the package manager it will automatically “reinstall” the driver each time there is a kernel update.

1 Like

Dodged a bullet there! thank you. got the version 415 applying now!

The laptop I have is the HP envy from I think 2017. And your not kidding about the dual graphics option in it, has proven to be a headache! Thank you for your additional advice for turning off Vsync. That has taken it a bit further for performance as well. Maybe it’s just one less thing for the pc to keep up with and just run. Thank you!

Yeah, personally if I were you, I would just always use the nvidia card and disable the intel iGPU.

But that’s because I would never use the laptop on battery.

If you want to try to get the graphics switching working you can look at Bumblebee. But like I said it can be a real pain to get working properly. Here is a guide from the bumblebee dev’s for Mint, https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/Bumblebee/issues/971#issuecomment-410386426 And here is the original thread about bumblebee on Mint 19 ( It’s not in english, so it would need to be translated, unless you can read turkish. ) https://forum.linuxmint.net.tr/index.php?topic=9347.0

I would look at see if other people have had success with it on your specific model of laptop. If they have, then you may have success as well.

Don’t listen to anything what AdminDev says. He believes company’s EULA is the word of gospel. Because large multinational corporations would never ever lie to us.

1 Like

Lulz. Sorry, facts and logic have already permeated this thread. You should have been here last week, though :ok_hand:

BTW I’m sending your post to NSA for analysis.

5 Likes