I have tried three 7900 XTX GPUs all with coil whine. Genuinely don't know what to do at this point

what case do you have? you can always cut up some pieces of egg crate foam and put it on the inside of the side panel and any other flat surface inside the case. this will make it so you can not hear the coil whine even though it is still there. it kills sound but does not change air flow much as long as you do not block any openings.

Egg-Crate-Foam

haha it is tempting. I have a Fractal Design Define R6 with the tempered glass side panel. Its maybe 5 years old at this point. If it were a newer case I could swap the glass panel for a sound dampened sidepanel.

Although, theoretically I could just swap the side panels. Use the sound treated panel on the side that faces me and the GPU and use the glass one on the other side of the case to show off my non-existent cable management :rofl:

AITA if I suggest you to have a review meeting with your GPU and its coils and tell them to grow up and stop whining all the time?

Anyway, thank you for posting this, as I intend to purchase an AMD GPU in the near future (on my overstretched time scale). I wouldnā€™t have known this problem even existed if I hadnā€™t stumbled upon this.

Coil whine, Ground loops, inverter hum, and line static.

the 4 horsemen of electronics noise.

4 Likes

yeah just be aware that it can happen with any GPU. Iā€™m looking at grabbing a 4080 and Iā€™m almost positive it will whine too - Iā€™m just hoping the slightly lower power draw will have a benefit.

Alright, final update!

Newegg refunded me for the Taichi 7900 XTX and I got a Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC. (thankfully before the snowstorm tomorrow)

There is a little bit of coil whine in Doom Eternal at 1440p, RT on, UltraNightmare but those framerates were 250-300fps so not entirely unexpected.

Cyberpunk 2077 on Ultra with no RT had some faint whine but I think any of the noise I did hear was from the motherboard - I could also only hear this with no sound in the room and my head shoved inside the computer case with my ear on the card. There was more noticeable noise in menus with framerates unlocked at 740fps but I would very much expect it at those frame rates.

So with those initial impressions Iā€™m very happy with this result. The noises Iā€™m hearing are similar to what I heard with my roommates computer (5800X and RTX 2080). It kind of sucks because I wanted to like the AMD card but ultimately it really wasnā€™t worth the noise.

Iā€™m going to borrow a friendā€™s Kill-A-Watt to see what the power consumption is and what the voltages are from the wall.

Thanks to everyone who commented!

1 Like

When I first bought my PC case that I still use, I took off all of the side panels, and taped the connections so they would not get gooped up.

I got a can of aerosol spray sound deadening. It is black, and feels like asphalt in the hot sun. I sprayed the large areas in the middle of all of the panels I could easily remove. After a few hours it is no longer sticky, but has stayed soft for years.

This made a significant difference in the noise the computer makes, is very low profile, and invisible from the outside of the computer, though I donā€™t have any transparent panels.

Well I am only 32 and I havenā€™t ever experienced coil whine really from a GPU. Just one time at a very high FPS but for example last night my wife was playing Sonic Team Racing and with vsync off my 7900xtx 5800x3D system was literally getting 3800-4200fps and there was no coil whineā€¦ in game it was getting 580-700fps to the point that it was breaking the game engine! There was no coil whine that I could hear though. I could hear the fans on the card spinning as it was using near max wattage to deliver that 700fps in 4K max settings LOL

So ultimately the 4000 series card also has coil whine just like others mentioned but its a lower level so you can tolerate it?

Before all of this I had never even considered coil whine. That first AMD reference 7900 XTX I had was the first time I noticed it and from then on I have been looking for it.

Ultimately, yes. I can hear it when playing Hogwarts Legacy but its very quiet compared to the Radeon cards so Iā€™ll tolerate it. At this point with 4 GPUs Iā€™ll take the W.

Honestly? Unless youā€™re getting coil whine right from the moment you boot to win/linux, then youā€™re fine. I remember stressing this thing when I was buying my 2080 Ti - ā€œdonā€™t buy from ASUS - coil whine comments. Donā€™t buy from Gigabyte - coil whineā€. So I bought MSI. And it honestly didnā€™t have coil whileā€¦ well, until I replaced that useless ā€œGaming Trioā€ cooling solution (which was masking it with fan noiseā€¦ or maybe the cooling solution somehow absorbed that sound) and slapped a water block from EK. Then I realized that going to the wizard of Oz wasnā€™t needed - I had the coil whine all along.

Also, I noticed that itā€™s not everywhere - only in specific games like PathOfExile at maxed out everything with Vulkan.

I had an Asus Dual 2080 before this and never noticed anything. I searched around on reddit and newegg reviews and this time around I saw people complaining about the Asus and MSI cards with only 1-2 complaints for Gigabyte so that is what I went with.

All of that said it really does seem to be entirely random with no obvious cause or solution that works for everyone. For all I know it was just some weird thing with how the AMD stuff interacted with my specific motherboard and power supply that didnā€™t happen on the Gigabyte Nvidia card.

It did only happen in game but it was with frame rates as low as 70fps when I try and play at 120 or higher.

Long term I probably could have lived with it and moved on with my life but I also knew that with return policies I basically only had 30 days to decide since manufacturer RMAs are a pain in the ass on a good day.

Ultimately I suppose it comes down it the fact that it annoyed me enough to want to do something about it. Plenty of things in life will annoy one person and another will just deal with it.

I can understand that.
And yes, since you have ā€œ30 daysā€ to actually return it, I would do so. If this is something AMD related. The last thing here would be to force yourself (the moment I moved to a custom loop I said ā€œnever againā€ in terms of using air cooled componentsā€¦).

If you suspect that it is a problem, which is related to your hardware (mobo, psu), I would try another pc (if you have that possibility) just to cross out the theory.

Electronics used to look like a cow sneezed on it. I donā€™t know what the stuff was, but someone here might. If you pour that on the noisy components it may not look pretty, but it should make them quieter.

I wonder if you are talking about ā€œblack tacā€. featured in I built a PC out of rope and wood... - YouTube at around the 5:40 point of the video. if i could figure out what that stuff ACTUALLY IS, i would buy a fair bit of it

I did try my roommates computer. I put my 7900 XTX and boot SSD in his machine and the 7900 XTX was just as loud. I also put his RTX 2080 in my system and it also whined but not nearly as badly. Actually the noise from his 2080 and my new 4080 are somewhat comparable though the 4080 is slightly louder possibly due to the increased power draw?

My next guess is to maybe take my computer to someone elseā€™s house to see if its the power. Roommate and I are on different circuits but obviously the same breaker box.

Funny you mention water cooling. My 2080 before this had an NZXT Kraken G12 bracket with the Fractal S36 AIO I use on my CPU now. At that time I had a Fractal S24 for the CPU. NZXT hasnā€™t made a bracket an updated bracket for any GPU since 20 series so it looks like Iā€™m back to air. I also had a Kraken G10 on my 780 Ti before then. So not custom loops, but still water cooled GPUs.

My watercooling also started from a 360 Kraken, sitting on the CPU (was really afraid of it leaking). But the level of the jet engine, caused by my ā€œsilentā€ MSI card at some point made me overcome that fear.

I can say that a AiO and a custom loop differ like AiO and air (maybe even a cheap air). I went for a Phanteks p600s with its option to have only the fabric dust filters. Slapped two thick radiators - a 360 for ā€œinhaleā€ and a 280 for out. In addition went for Noctua fans (dispite what tech reviews say about corsair and other crap being close to Noctuaā€¦ Noctua is way better) for the front, which are always on (but dead silent) and ā€œouterā€ fans kick in only when GPUs temp goes 70 C. Majority of the heat simply gets handled by the radiators (and having the case have an open front and top helps a lot). My apartment has quite good sound isolation (really good). With this config, the pc is dead silent (25db silent) - you will not get this with an AiO (I tried).

der8auer had some vids on specific Asus 4090(or 80s), in which he emphasized the amount of coil whine. From this I would assume that some are worse than the others.

Good call. Maybe try a power stabilizer if you happen to have one.

the ā€˜black tackā€™ is almost like a less sticky tar for stopping water and air leaks. you do NOT want to use it on a pc board.

the white stuff on electronics is used for weather proofing and ā€˜supportā€™ for larger components but yes, a lot of times it is used for sound, and vibration resistance. it is just a pour-able silicone, or urethane depending on the results wanted. very similar to the stuff used for making casting molds.

APC Line-r LE1200 is a voltage regulator for A/C electricity and can be used to stabilize and slightly upvolt A/C voltage. it would ā€˜probablyā€™ get rid of coil whine, but you would still need a multi-meter to get it set up correctly.

1 Like

My sapphire 7900xtx is ā€œun-wineyā€ thankfully.