I had an intrusion? A virus attack?

You could also connect your hard drive to another PC and do a Malware scan there.
Personally, I like Malewarebyte’s scanner although it tends to be on the false-positive side.

I’ll give that a go, I have a usb somewhere here. Does this mean I will loose my memes? LOL

You wont lose any data from a scan.

3 Likes

you’ll only lose them in the event you have to do a complete reinstall and don’t have them backed up somewhere…

Happened to me earlier this year during troubleshooting

I used malwarebytes once to help find a bad bug off another pc, and it was harder to get rid of than the bug.

iirc, there was a bad build of Malwarebytes some time ago. I haven’t had any issues with it myself, but I recall others having some problems.

Edit: Yup there was a whole thread on it here: Massive memory leak caused by Malwarebytes

Well, I’ll try to keep it on the usb anyways. let me try it.

OK, I ran it and got zero hits. when I was removing the malwarebytes, though, I did see something in my program files.
$GetCurrent
And inside that folder was 2 subfolders:
Logs
Setup

I don’t remember seeing it before, I don’t put much on my PC except for a few games, and I go through it alot cleaning stuff up. So I just canned the folder. Both subfolders were empty.
And now I have one more piece of malwarebytes to get rid of, it says it’s running in explorer. Great.

You could also try to capture your network traffic with wireshark for the time being

1 Like

Wireshark, eh? I guess better to play it safe, I’ll check it out. Thank you all for the advice, once again:)

Wireshark! What unholy madness is this? Such a thing exists?
I looked at a youtube video on it before downloading, and into my download I noticed it is 186GB. I don’t have room for it on my drive, just a 240GB ssd for a few games.
But I am sold, nonetheless. When I upgrade the drive, I will download that first. If I stare at it long enough while clicking around, I’m sure I’ll figure it out eventually.

No way bro. No way. :scream::scream::scream:

2 Likes

Well, that is what it said. Let me give it another go.

1 Like

I’d be a little scpetical when it comes to a 186GB version of wireshark.

The download here is probably a bit smaller:
https://www.wireshark.org/#download

4 Likes

OK, I ran it anyways, it’s only 57.2 MB!!! Oh gods help me now! Now I just have to figure out how to read this gibberish. I don’t suppose there is a shortcut key anywhere that just says “NSA Eavesdropping”, or “Illuminatti Confirmed”?
Well, I’m off to watch some interface tutorials.
I really swear it said 186GB, that is so strange.

1 Like

Learn how to use the SysInternals AutoRuns tool, you can use it to quickly find out if any malware is trying to autostart on boot or login. A great bit of software, I sometimes use it to just debloat older windows installations.

4 Likes

I would not even boot into windows.
Use something like Kaspersky Rescue Disk https://support.kaspersky.com/de/viruses/krd2018 to prevent potential further background shenanigans in Windows.

KRD is more of a virus scanning OS than a virus scanner in the classical sense

3 Likes

OK, I ran wireshark for awhile while I watched some youtube videos on it. It would be than fair to say I have no idea what I am doing, but I did find a video that detailed a quick check to see if data was being sent that wasn’t recognized.
I went to statistics, then protocol hierarchy, and no data file was there.
Is there a better way to check?

I got a data hit under protocol heirarchy. Is there anyone out there who sees anything in this?
43 7.908008 192.168.0.3 18.204.105.183 TCP 55 [TCP Retransmission] 51044 → 443 [ACK] Seq=0 Ack=1 Win=252 Len=1

It looks like it was between my router and motherboard.

I’m a firm believer in Malwarebytes AM. I use it & Defender (I know neither are “proper” antivirus suites) with periodic online scans from a few companies. Eset NOD32 used to be my favorite, then BitDefender and Webroot…My net behavior is much less risky these days. No warez sites and only known good sites now.