I don't get minecraft. Am i Alone?

Pretty sure there's a free play mode where you can do whatever

I like Minecraft because of Redstone. Just sit down and build a computer in a computer running a game.

But Terraria = SpaceEngineers > Minecraft

If you ever played Pitfall you would understand my hatred for blocks in any form. :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitfall!

I guess because of the hype its gotten a bad rap so its understandable if you aren't a fan. People compare minecraft to legos but there was a game that was essentially online legos called BlockLand
I personally am STILL a big fan of BlockLand, it came out in 2007 I believe and was actually really popular, but between the Roblox vs. BlockLand wars and the alpha build of minecraft it died. It still has a pretty strong community and it still has people playing it. It's thanks to that community that made me a few long time friends. XC, Pitfall, badspot to name a few. Its also where I got introduced into forums and the forum communities

In my opinion, no.
I think the 3D makes Minecraft better, but whatever.

Hand-eye coordination isn't really a game thing. Critical thinking is for puzzle games, which Minecraft is not.

I agree with the general sentiment "if you like Lego, you like Minecraft". Creative mode in Minecraft is essentially infinitely many legos.

I've spent thousands of hours building landscapes and parkour maps, and making simple electronics and really rudimentary processors in Minecraft. My prime was in about 2012, when I discovered VoxelSniper and built the Lonely Mountain and Dale, to proper scale, with a couple friends.

1 Like

Games definitely can help hand eye coordination, more so in quick thinking and reaction training as well, you'd never be able to beat a game like ninja gaiden or battletoads without it.

And critical thinking is going to be important in life and in school for kids, creativity is nice, but if creativity is all you get you're going to be lacking in other areas, and watching minecraft let's plays isn't going to give you any of this.

far as terraria goes I find it had much more engaging combat given the control you have vs the rather limited controls in minecraft, plus the boss battles don't even compare, I just wish starbound was better.

Being creative is fun.

I personally don't like it but I don't have to. I get why other people like it.

Gameplay makes a game, not graphics. Minecraft's sandbox-esque playstyle leads to creative building(which can be damn hard - have you tried it?), survival, and even custom maps and gamemodes.

I spend basically all 4 years of high school and then some hosting my own server and having maybe 10-20players play together. I even played on it back when I had a potato laptop. I'll admit-singleplayer gets boring pretty quick. Multiplayer is what kept me with Minecraft.

Like all games, I finally got tired of Minecraft, but if some friends are in a server I'm always down to hop on and have some fun.

And well, if you don't like it, then there are plenty of other games out there for you to try.

2 Likes

I don't get it either, im not really an FPS guy either. Bu I do enjoy playing Cities Skylines, and I was brought up playing Roller coaster Tycoon 1 and 2 don't like number 3. But moved to locomotion.

Legos no. Knex yes, used to build massive tower crane's.

I get plenty of critical thinking elsewhere. (Portal is a good example.)
And i dont watch letsplays. a few minigames occasionally, but most of what i do is build houses. im even in an architecture class.

I'm talking about kids, and for some kids like one I know, that's literally just about all the media he consumes, minecraft videos and stupid cat and prank videos online. Hopefully I can set his 2 year old sibling on the path to learning basic physics soon anyways

I used to understand it, but suddenly I quit and couldn't find a tangible enough reason to go back. Maybe this sort of a sandbox is not enough for me anymore and I need something more advanced.

I also feel like the whole child development using Minecraft is really bad and could backfire onto those children in the future when they grow up.

Minecraft was fun for the first 10 hrs for me. After that I said ok I'm done just did give me a desire to do much with it,

I've never been into Minecraft either. I don't think it's having any sort of negative effect on the gaming community.

Games like CoD, where you pay the full $60, they keep out content just so you have to either buy the season pass along with it or go back later and pay another $15 per map pack (that should have just been included in the first place), and STILL have items that you can only get with real money are what's killing gaming. I've noticed almost everything Ubisoft makes is the similar too, and on top of that they have their stupid Uplay. I'm fine with micro-transactions and in-app purchases IF the game is free to begin with, but if you have to pay the full price for the game ($60) you should get the full game.

I don't really mind expansions if they aren't too frequent (like Elder Scrolls), but paying $110 a year for basically the same game with a skin change and very minimal graphics improvements is unacceptable in my book (hence why I no longer play CoD or Assassin's Creed).

I think Minecraft was a major factor in what set in motion the annoying streamers like Pewdiepie, but at the same time I don't think that effects gaming as a whole in a negative way. I'll just not watch his videos. CoD, on the other hand, ugh.

Assassins creed is story based, and in my opinion has a very good story. almost as good as a series of novels. Gameplay is pretty similar between the games, but the story is why i like assassins creed. and the gameplay is still good.

Agreed.

Ya it's not the story that bothers me with Assassin's Creed, it's the fact that they have Uplay-exclusive content and in-game real-money purchases.

I feel like if you're already paying $60 for the game, you shouldn't have to pay another $3 to unlock this weapon, or ship, or whatever. It should be included. And you shouldn't have to connect to your Uplay account to get certain shit either. Uplay is about as worthless as GFWL. It's completely useless outside of Ubisoft games, so there's really no reason to have it other then now you're giving them your email so they can send you spam.

256*

My best TLDR explanation is lazy creativity.
For people it gives them an opportunity to play/build/live however they want in the world. They can make functional things or aesthetically pleasing things. But they also don't need a lot of skill; in comparison to a painter or a graphical designer. Not to say that it doesn't take a sort of skill to build something. Personally, I don't like playing it now, but when I was younger I liked the game in alpha.

Close enough?

1 Like