Huawei selling laptops with Linux preinstalled

but I don’t have any cisco devices.

Well, I might’ve changed my mind after posting my comment… Forget about that, ChromeOS is already an entry-point so whatever

Chinese or not I’d never dwell into deepin… looks like too much graphical stuff for me

Or huawei probably so whats the problem, and you made it clear you don’t want them so why even take part here?

I can’t utilize Linux for the most part, but having another option is always a good thing.

If perchance this becomes popular in China it might help increase the visibility of alternative operating systems elsewhere in the world too.

EDIT: Can’t utilize because I need certain programs for home/school/work that aren’t available on Linux currently.

1 Like

They are already very pro Linux in general, for carious reasons I won’t get into.

I hope it would help make a push but I remember the last time a computer maker (dell) had Linux as an option and we got news articles about how it ruined some womans college chances because it was not windows and basically Linux was junk, even reporters could not pronounce Ubuntu and made faces like it was something that would hurt them.

1 Like

Yeah, OS and world politics could be another thread.

In my opinion, and not to get too OT here, but when switching to any OS that is different than what one is used to they really need to be careful and figure out what they can and can’t do and any alternatives for the latter. Maybe down the road there will be better options for translating programs between operating systems where even if something isn’t native it would still be possible to at least run it in an emulator of sorts.

1 Like

If this takes off in China, then Windows is in hot water market share wise over there.

All the Huawei things I had my hands on felt quality (as you would expect for the price).

@Trooper_ish no they do not they used to with deepin store people went “China spyware” but it was same analytics chrome collects and removed it because they are trying to break that stigma . Now all data sent to deepin and it’s servers is opt in and ananonmized. Just like Ubuntu asks

1 Like

Also alot of th deepin based tools and apps come in flat Pak form so can jump many distros. DDE the deepin desktop environment works on a plethora of distros as well. Very polished and very stable for a macos/winos replacement
Has a better software experience then Ubuntu by alot

1 Like

@Trooper_ish sorry wrong upstream … They have …though alot of what they have done is under some weird license . But with deepin being Deb based and a major Linux distro in China I would assume . Plus as I’ve said in other posts they flatpak almost all their apps and tools

1 Like