Huawei selling laptops with Linux preinstalled

You know that happens to all phones in china, even if you bring one in from outside it can be taken and have tracking software installed.

That not specifically a huawai problem. That want I don’t get with all this. This Chinese company is good but this one is bad and they all do or are subject to the same thing. It makes no sense.

And that is from 2015, got anything a little more up to date?

I would not buy this regardless of the operating system. The company has close ties to the chinese government. Knowing what is currently going on in Hong-Kong I don’t want to support china either.

1 Like

Common sense prevails again

3 Likes

Great idea. Tell me more about how you are going to do anything without a Product that in some way touched China or a chinese company.
It’s impossible. And trust me, a lot of the world currently has similar problems with the US. I personally find the US government at least as suspicious as the chinese one (from a European standpoint).

For now, most of the Anti China stuff smells a whole lot like protectionism by the US telling their people that “China is why you don’t have a job and we’re going to bring those jobs back”. I don’t know. So far, i’ve not seen compelling recent evidence that there is anything fishy going on at huawei.

3 Likes

Remember the thermal images of the US embassy in Berlin? Every other building is normal temp on a cold fall day, except one…

Fun turned into a “China bad thread” and not a oem laptop with Linux on it thread. China company spying or not this is a Linux laptop that is aimed at the “status” buyers. Like apple buyers. You can download the entire source to everything deepin does on git the “spy scare” was the same info Google collects when you use chrome. Screen size resolution and basic os info from the deepin store. Yes it should have been opt in . But that wasn’t spying it was also removed

5 Likes

There not even hurt from the trade-war. Heck they are offering to sell 5G to us :rofl:

1 Like

Would I be correct in the assumption that because it comes with a Linux distro preinstalled that would also mean that other distros would have a high(er) chance of working with minimal fuss?

1 Like

Deepin is Debian based so I would assume it would like any bit of software for x86x64

yup because screw running deep in china linux

Yall just can’t play nice.

Keep opinionated chyna rants to a minimum.

I for one, or rather my GF, is very happy with the Huawei matebook X I got her two years ago. Build quality is excellent, battery life decent for the size and the screen is pretty good as well, has that tempered glass on it which I love to have on laptops, touch screen or not.

This laptop might be the biggest Linux push to consumers yet.

6 Likes

Fine fine… sorry daddy

Yeah its a good laptop… I think a linux push is good but I wish they would offer other operating systems as an option… or do they?

@anon46267848 its a joke no need to silence :joy: good one though

If they support one distro, the bits they add can be used for others, especially on a debian base, surely?

Like System 76’s Pop, they upstream some of the stuff, and other distro’s coppied other bits?

3 Likes

Yeah, it’ll take some work, and you won’t get much support from bug-reports (most likely), but it’s definitely doable.

Pop upstreams a lot. The custom bits are really just their themes and Nvidia ISO.

But I don’t know if Deepin upstreams anything or not.
Normal companies using Linux don’t seem to

1 Like

@THEkitchenSINK would be most likely to know this.

2 Likes

Sniped, thanks

1 Like

That’s good, I guess.

Might be a nice entry point to a lot of people that are afraid of the GNU/Linux itself.

But depending on the price it will be a huge no-no… cause if people can get a mac for a similar price I don’t think they’d dwell into Deepin…

There should be some cheap stuff aimed towards the low-budget laptop buyers (maybe there is and I don’t know). Dell for instance is selling a fairly cheap laptop with ubuntu on it, with some real crappy config, but really cheap.