Huawei loses access to android and google

Agree on that. We’ll see how this works out.

Maybe they’ll become an “ethusiast” thing like xiaomi. Where you import and sideload Google Play.

2 Likes

This is where I was wondering what they will offer, could work but it depends how far they were in the background work.

The other thing is this will be a Chinese based store. That instantly brings to mind app or IP piracy, fair or not that’s a view that will come up. So I will expect their app store will come in strong with everything you know and love.

And further if they have API compatibility with existing andoird apps they could offer their own side loading solution anyway, those can be made pretty seamless.

The signature spoofing will be a bitch considering the ease of fingerprinting the phones… They don’t run on Qualcomm typically

They? I can’t follow you exactly.
On Xiaomi this hasn’t been a Problem. And their phones are using Qualcomm too.

1 Like

Huawei typically uses kirins from hisilicon don’t they?

1 Like

Ooooh. Yes they do. Now i see what you mean. Hmm, yes. Could be a Problem.

Exactly you can’t spoof the architecture that easily at all. I know it can be done but even with root and for advanced user its difficult… And magisk doesnt do it…

HiSilicon is fully owned by Huawei.

1 Like

What would be funny is if china was to retaliate in kind and block US access to Chinese manufacturing.

No new PCs, routers, Apple devices, parts for most of the cars, etc.

Have a look at any device (including your car) and see how many components originate in China (even if the finished product was assembled in the USA or elsewhere).

I’ve tidied up the thread a little. Remember, no discussing politics.

We’re discussing tech policy

1 Like

Nope there was some straying into more general politics. There’s a few other posts on the line but I’ve left them for now.

It’s kinda terrible for Huawei users.
It probably has something to do with the recent stories around the company.

Cannocial gives us that Ubuntu phone pretty please :smiley:

1 Like

You mean the Google Play Store? On Xiaomi?
I have to disagree. Bought a Xiaomi Mi A1 last week and it came with the Play Store installed.

This is typically done by the retailer. At least it was. It might well be, that xiaomi “Global” Version come with the playstore from xiaomi directly. Not 100% sure on this.

Could put the Amazon app store on it…

They will not do it. Not full-scale. It would be like a bullet in the head.
China needs west more and its money and technologies than west need China. Stories about how they work 20h / 7 can be left for young children. The prosperity of the Chinese techonology market blossomed in large terms thanks to the theft of technology, lack of respect for the property and seeking savings by the west. It’s all controlled by party and special services. The Chinese companies will do what they are told by the authorities and this is a fact. This is bad for others but good for china. This is the war for global influence and global domination.

Some of you are too much on the side of China in this game. China knows perfectly well what they do, it’s big business and big politics. China or the Chinese company are not the victims here. This is a brutal domination game.
The war is already going on … now some people just see the first effects.

Unfortunately, the techonological market is not a mythical world that is magically separated from politics. And everyone is friends and they adore the principles of love and peace.

1 Like

no effort op :white_check_mark:
1 reply :white_check_mark:

@fart_plume what is your opinion of the topic at hand

4 Likes

I think this is well known, the outrage and siding with Huawei (not China specifically) is that it is completely unwarrented. This is all made out of fear and paranoia. I don’t want to get into politics because it is not allowed and frankly no fucking fun to discuss, but in this particular case Huawei have not done anything wrong but are being witch hunted out and me here in Europe am frankly pissed off that I am being dictated to by america, what you want to do is fine but don’t tell other countries we can’t have out phones, 5g or mobile tech because you don’t like it.

1 Like