Huawei loses access to android and google

https://www.androidauthority.com/huawei-loses-access-to-google-android-987873/

Google has suspended business operations with effectively immediately, a forced move that will have a dramatic impact on Huawei devices across the globe

Damn. I wanted a Huawei phone.

1 Like

Also, OP. If you could add some more “meat and potatoes” ( basically your thoughts on the matter) in your OP, that would be great. People will come asking for that. :wink:

5 Likes

Son of a gun.
That’s some heavy shit, this is gonna be the spark that ignites the trade war.

1 Like

My mom have a hwatever… That’s going to be shit experience to explain why her phone won’t be good soon…

It caught my eye because I just recently upgraded to a Pixel 3 xl, Huawei was one of the ones I had considered.

1 Like

wait I have a question and maybe @Kat and @Goalkeeper could answer… how the fuck can you suspend opensource software? You can technically remove all google libraries and be fine?

They still have access to AOSP, but not Google Play.

Huawai announces move to LineageOS…

1 Like

You Don’t.

anything AOSP related Huawei has access to. Google Play, Google Pay and Chrome are all closed to Google.

It’s okay though. Google’s done with Android anyway.

eh no it won’t. Google is too big for that.

No dev is going to be like okay fuck ya’ll I’m gonna put my apps on F-Droid. and expect to make the same as they would on Google Play, the enthusiast community is small compared to the general consumer.

1 Like

China has done a wonderful job of getting rid of google… they have become a model for the world on it essentially… Lots of devs in europe are following suit like using Here we go maps instead

1 Like

Yes. China alone. cause they are forcing it down by Governmental force. every other country doesn’t.

Nothing stops them from using another apps store, or developing their own. They could partner with Tencent, or any of the others as well.

It might limit what markets they could operate in, but wouldn’t be the end of the world.

it’s not the end of the world for Huawei but it will be for the biggest markets. Europe, US and Japan and India.

I have a Huawei Mate 10 Pro. So far so good. Will report as time goes on if shit hits the fan.
Can’t really tell if this affects only the US or is global.

2 Likes

Update in the article claims current devices will not be affected. Confirmed by Google/Android

2 Likes

Google and Android aren’t just an American thing…

1 Like

Winners: Tiawan, India, Japan, Vietnam,…oh heck all those other countries on the left side of the big blue spot on the map labeled “Pacific”

Thats my huge problem with it… Google runs around like it is… just like the internet some software should be global and belong to no country