How to control fan speeds from host OS on a Gigabyte MZ72-HB0?

Has anyone figured out how to control the fan outputs on the MZ72-HB0 motherboards?

The fan curve setup in the IPMI is kind of terrible in that you’re only able to set one curve as active at a time. On my build I have an external case fan that I’d like to control on a curve that uses the temperature of the hottest GPU in my array as the curve’s input.

Unfortunately when I go to do that, there’s no way to set a second, separate curve for my CPU fans, as only one curve can be active at a time.

No problem, I thought - I’ll just control the external fan from a cronjob. Except for the life of me I can’t find a way to do that from within Linux. There’s nothing exposed that ipmitool can see to control the fans, and I can’t find any documented IPMI registers for directly setting the PWM outputs. I also tried probing the SMBus with the lm-sensors package, to no avail.

Has anyone managed to control the fans on this motherboard from software?

Why not just get a manual mechanical fan controller?

For the same reason that I don’t want to leave my fans running at 100% all of the time. I want them to spin up based on the needs of the system at the time, and spin down when they’re not necessary, without my intervention.

1 Like

Here’s a post that shows using ipmitool for another gigabyte board. I tried on the mb72-hb0, doesn’t like that command. However, if you send gigabyte support an email with that link, asking for similar info for the hb72-hb0, please post result here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/mxmmkx/gigabyte_wrx80su8ipmi_ipmi_fancontrol/

Yes only one fan profile active, BUT, have you tried adding new policies under your fan profile? ‘New policy’ button. Looks like you can have multiple policies (0, 1, …), each with own settings. Update: confirmed this works.

Btw, I’m using temperature sensor type 2, instead of 1, using CPU0 and CPU1 temps. These are water cooled, and the default DTS temp sensors are off by about 30C vs actual cpu temps.

Add images