How fast is a P5800X Optane?

Yeah I gave mine to Kewldude they actually sold for quite a bit on ebay at the time was like $50

3 Likes

Back when I tried my luck as a day trader, I absolutely lusted over the idea of having one of these optane drives and nearly bought one.

I think one of these would really speed up trading strategy simulations when streaming the data in a time series. Small latency was key for speed when reading and writing large amounts of small data blocks.

2 Likes

That was original reason I moved to m.2, UE compilation.

This is very cool. Optane seems amazing. I recently got to use an Intel H10 SSD at work with Linux as a first taste.

But quick question. Is used Optane 32GB + Primocache on Windows a viable option today?

On an Intel system use rst. Primocache otherwise probably

1 Like

Sooā€¦ wouldnā€™t this work well with the newer version of amdā€™s storemi? Has testing been done on the newer version of that?

It seems like that new one lets you add drives or partitions on drives as cache for other drives, so you could get say the 400gb p5800x and have the first 200gb be for the os and the last 200gb be cache for a very large nand ssd.

You talked a bit about improved game loading times with star citizen, and improved application responsiveness, do you know of any benchmarks showing how big this difference is?

Itā€™s really hard to measure app responsiveness. The easiest demo is probably that powershell script I showed of launching a bunch of programs at once and they all open prettymuch at once.

Any games in mind you are curious about?

@wendell

I Just received the 400GB version. However I am getting CRC errors with both of the u.2 to pcie adapters I have (Dilinker). However the u.2 to m.2 does not produce the errors. Iā€™m on a Asus x570 Prime Pro w/ 3900x. I will try the latest non beta bios to see if that fixes the issue.

My question was, what u.2 to pcie adapter did you use for your testing?

Thanks for the review.

a cabled adapter will not work. it must be PCB aand the traces must be short. It was a cheap one I ordered from ali express, didnā€™t even say pcie4 certified. It must be right at the pcie slot, basically. an m.2 adapter will not work. @aBav.Normie-Pleb has a really killer m.2 adapter with eyelit dip switch settings for m.2 adaptation but outside that m.2 to u.2 is almost a non-starter for pcie4 right now.

the pcie carrier card is prettymuch your only option for pcie4 speeds.

I posted a link on youtube which is I believe the same model of the PCB.

2 Likes

@wendell Thank you for the reply.

What I meant by using the u.2 to m.2 is that it wasnā€™t producing the CRC errors, but it was definitely slower.

These adapters (u.2 to pcie) worked fine for my p4500 drive.

I also update my bios and Iā€™m still getting the errors.

I watched the video again, and these adapters are similar (in layout) to the one you used. Iā€™m thinking itā€™s an issue with the AMD platform? Did you notice CRC errors when you used your p5800x with the 5950x?

Thanks,
Iyke

1 Like

Update:

Setting that pcie slot to Gen 3, has stopped the CRC error count from increasing.

1 Like

PCIe 4 connections need to be almost perfect.

Considering my experiences with PCIe 3 extensions and their crazy error rates (yeah, stop telling me to turn off AER and fix your cable, bah) I donā€™t think PCIe 4 has any future on anything but direct motherboard connections.

2 Likes

Yep. The P4500 is pcie3.

Even pcie4 in pcie3 mode is not as good as native Pcie3. Itā€™s the cable/adapter. Take some pics of your setup.

Wendell

1 Like

Below is the adapter, and the adapter + drive installed.

I did purchase a different adapter from amazon, just to try it out. The Mfg claims it supports pcie 4.0 (from Ableconn).

1 Like

For other interested partys, these are the ones @wendell has mentioned me toying with:

M.2-to-U.2 adapting for PCIe 4.0 x4 is really a pain in the butt due to shitty cables - begging Wendell to open a Level 1 Techs cable store was without fruition :wink:

I currently have the PCIe Gen4 redriver M.2 adapter project on pause since I have to change the GPU and CPU cooling of the two systems I want to use them with to watercooling since the standard air coolers physically block the cable routes these adapters would need.

(These damn M.2 adapters lead the cables out ā€œthe backā€, not ā€œthe frontā€ - unlike every other M.2-to-U.2 adapter Iā€™ve seen so far)

If all is done I plan to create a dedicated thread for these to help other users avoiding this frustrating oddyssey (be able to use PCIe Gen4 x4 U.2 SSDs in a backplane with about 0.5 m cabling without PCIe errors when under load).

2 Likes

Addition:

You can also experiment a bit with copper tape :upside_down_face:

(Shielding ā€œexposedā€ connector/socket wires/traces from external RFI - BUT OF COURSE BE CAREFUL NOT TO SHORT ANYTHING)

3 Likes

Doesnā€™t really matter, any game that shows a difference I guess. Star citizen and Gta are famous for loading times, but anything goes.

@wendell

Update: The new adapter works fine, I am not getting any errors with the pcie slot in Gen 4 mode. Not only that, but the speeds are much more stable, :slightly_smiling_face:.

I bought the adapter from amazon, MFG name is ā€œAbleconnā€. Their documentation said that it was pcie 4.0 compliant. Picture below.

Thanks again,
Iyke

5 Likes

Looks like the StarTech AICā€¦ thatā€™s the card I have. P5800X arrives today. WRX80 MOBO tomorrowā€¦ should be an interesting build. Curious about StoreMI vs PrimoCache.