How does one control fan speed on Asus PRO WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI?

Okay, this is definitely a normie question. I just set up the ASUS WRX80 motherboard and went into the BIOS and there seems to be no way to set the fan speed curves. And unfortunately they are screaming even at low CPU temps (e.g. 66% fan speed at only 38 deg. CPU temp). The original BIOS the motherboard came with was better, but I updated to the latest (0405) and it’s pretty obnoxious. Additionally there seems to be no windows or linux utilities on the ASUS website to control fan speed from within the OS. Is this typical of workstation grade motherboards?

Can anyone provide a sane solution to control fan speed either through something I’m missing in the BIOS or via utilities for both linux and windows? Thanks greatly for helping out!

EDIT: Also, I’m not seeing any reading for the chipset fan or T_SENSOR Temp; both are N/A. Is that normal?

1 Like

It’s all done via the ipmi. Sensors are all in there and you set it at a hardware level

3 Likes

Thanks a ton Wendell! My sanity has been regained. EDIT: I found this link to a 2017 ASUS manual for the ASMB9-iKVM utility: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwil0dmqr-_wAhUKa80KHcGUAb8QFjAAegQIBRAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fdlsvr04.asus.com%2Fpub%2FASUS%2Fserver%2Faccessory%2FASMB9%2FE12610_ASMB9-iKVM_UM_WEB.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0pLutrcNf6rVk5elycyAPh

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Did you end up using the web interface? I am trying to achieve the same thing and I am not too familiar with ipmi. I would appreciate any help.
Cheers

I’m not at the WRX80 computer now, so let me know if this is not specific enough detail to get you going and I’ll post back later with better instructions. But, in general, go into the BIOS and find IP address of the IPMI or BMC or KVM port. I’m not sure what they call it in the BIOS. Then from a computer with a web browser that is on the same internal network, type that address in using the https protocol. The initial user name and password is admin for both. This will log you into the IPMI. If I remember right the fan control was under settings.

2 Likes

Super. Yup you gave a very good description and instruction. Works very well. Thanks a bunch!

Blockquote I’m not seeing any reading for the chipset fan or T_SENSOR Temp; both are N/A. Is that normal?
Blockquote

I’m seeing exactly the same thing. The chipset fan spins at POST, before Q-Code b4 appears, but I’ve never seen it spin afterward.

How did you resolve this? Any insight would be appreciated.

Hey bud, would you minding helping me out? I’ve been banging my head against a wall for 2 weeks now and ASUS have horrific customer services. I really would immensely appreciate it.

Basically, the BMC address it shows in the BIOS under Server Management (192.168.1.100) doesnt lead anywhere when I type it into my web browser. It says it can’t connect… Any idea if I’m doing anything wrong?

Ugh. I moved to Thailand and am waiting for my computer to get shipped over so I can’t take a look. To trouble shoot, I’d try a couple of things:

1. Did you use https or http protocol. Based on my comment above, I think you need to use https. You can try both and see if one works.

2. Log into your router and see if it shows a client using 192.168.1.100. If it does, note the MAC address associated with that address and see if it matches your motherboard.

3. I should mention that you need to use a wired Ethernet port too; I’m pretty sure about this, but not 100%. So if the 192.168.1.100 address is via Wifi that could explain the problem.

If none of these solve your problem, let me know and I’ll try and brainstorm a little more. Sorry I didn’t see your message until now; I’ll look back more frequently.

Hi Zack_Zero,

Hopefully you’ve already got into the IPMI settings and set profiles for all the fan zones. But if still no luck, here’s my story…

I didn’t have access to a wired network for connecting to the ASUS WRX80, so I just connected a laptop to the ASUS WRX80 with a short Cat 6 ethernet cable. Crucial step was to set static IP addresses in both the laptop and the ASUS WRX80. E.g.,

[192.168.1.91] [255.255.255.0] <== laptop
[192.168.1.92] [255.255.255.0] <== WRX80

To set a static IP address in the ASUS WRX80 BIOS, go to the [Server Mgmt] options and scroll down to BMC network config. I just set details for the first LAN config.

Save BIOS settings and restart, then go back into the BIOS to make sure the new static IP address is what you expect. Restart once again and let the system boot up normally.

Next I connected the laptop to the ASUS WRX80 with a short Cat 6 ethernet cable. (PS: Also switched off the laptop’s wifi to force it to wake up it’s wired ethernet hardware.) Then using HTTPS (!!!), I could use a browser to connect to that static address I assigned earlier, e.g.:

https://192.168.1.92

Make sure you type HTTPS (as others have pointed out). My Edge browser warns about insecurity settings, but just click [Advanced] and [connect anyway]. After a while I got the dialog to log in to the BMC hardware [admin] [admin], and then had fun tuning the fan profiles. Fans adjust in real time as you save each profile.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Hey all, I am having a very weird issue.

Upon trying to log in, I keep getting the session expired error and it goes back to the log-in page. I have tried everything that comes to my mind.

Tried different devices, update the bios, check the time on the server. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Scratch that. A power cycle did the trick! Thanks!

Related question are you guys able to see the chipset fan speed in the BMC?

Hi there, I’m not sure what I did wrong but, after those steps, my laptop browser just shows that it wasn’t connected

I’ve opened BMC on the wrx80 and set up the static IP, I then restart the workstation, entered windows, and plug a RJ45 from the wrx80 workstation to my laptop, I turned my WIFI off, opened edge and tried to connect to the IP using https, it just said it was not connected

The chipset fan on my wrx80 starts on cold bootup, but as soon as “Post” starts said fan shuts down and I have not seen it start up after that. The maximum temperature of the chipset has not gone over 65 degrees Celsius and I’m wondering if it needs the temperature to be higher to start spinning

IPMI reports that mine are spinning. But I don’t see a chip set temperature
root@zephir:~# ipmi-sensors | grep FAN
34 | CPU_FAN | Fan | 700.00 | RPM | ‘OK’
36 | CHA_FAN1 | Fan | N/A | RPM | N/A
37 | CHA_FAN2 | Fan | N/A | RPM | N/A
38 | CHA_FAN3 | Fan | N/A | RPM | N/A
39 | CHA_FAN4 | Fan | N/A | RPM | N/A
40 | CHA_FAN5 | Fan | N/A | RPM | N/A
41 | CHA_FAN6 | Fan | 800.00 | RPM | ‘OK’
42 | SOC_FAN | Fan | 2600.00 | RPM | ‘OK’
43 | CHIPSET_FAN | Fan | 2100.00 | RPM | ‘OK’
50 | PSU1 Slow FAN1 | Fan | N/A | N/A | N/A
51 | PSU2 Slow FAN1 | Fan | N/A | N/A | N/A
root@zephir:~# ipmi-sensors | grep Temperature
16 | CPU Temp. | Temperature | 46.00 | C | ‘OK’
17 | T_Sensor Temp. | Temperature | N/A | C | N/A
18 | LAN Temp. | Temperature | 57.00 | C | ‘OK’
19 | PCIE01 Temp. | Temperature | N/A | C | N/A
20 | PCIE02 Temp. | Temperature | N/A | C | N/A
21 | PCIE03 Temp. | Temperature | N/A | C | N/A
22 | PCIE04 Temp. | Temperature | N/A | C | N/A
23 | PCIE05 Temp. | Temperature | N/A | C | N/A
24 | PCIE06 Temp. | Temperature | N/A | C | N/A
25 | PCIE07 Temp. | Temperature | 36.00 | C | ‘OK’
26 | DIMMA1 Temp. | Temperature | 40.00 | C | ‘OK’
27 | DIMMB1 Temp. | Temperature | 43.00 | C | ‘OK’
28 | DIMMC1 Temp. | Temperature | 44.00 | C | ‘OK’
29 | DIMMD1 Temp. | Temperature | 44.00 | C | ‘OK’
30 | DIMME1 Temp. | Temperature | 37.00 | C | ‘OK’
31 | DIMMF1 Temp. | Temperature | 37.00 | C | ‘OK’
32 | DIMMG1 Temp. | Temperature | 36.00 | C | ‘OK’
33 | DIMMH1 Temp. | Temperature | 35.00 | C | ‘OK’
48 | PSU1 Over Temp | Temperature | N/A | N/A | N/A
49 | PSU2 Over Temp | Temperature | N/A | N/A | N/A
root@zephir:~#

Hi,

I have a question regarding the same topic discussed here, in BIOS on the hardware monitor page can you see details ragarding the hardware installed on the motherboard such as voltages and speeds? In my BIOS everything is listed as N/A.
So because of this I sent it back to ASUS service thinking that there is a problem with the sensors on the motherboard, but from what you wrote here in this topic I’m thinking that I might have sent it for nothing.
An answer would really help me ease my mind and if this is the case I’ll just call back the motherboard and follow the steps to control voltages and speeds that you posted in this topic.

Thanks!

Update! The motherboard did have a problem, the problem was that the BIOS version was too new, sounds crazy when you think of the cost of these motherboards… Now all is working fine except for the fact that the fans are spinning like crazy so I’ll have to take the same steps as you mentioned above and set the speeds via the ipmi. Cheers!

1 Like

Hi all. I had the same issue with ASUS WRX80E MB. Even though I entered the ipmi interface and set the fan speed, it did not work. I wonder 1000USD MB is worse than 200.300 MB. So disappointed!

Hi LOUISxx - each of the zones in the IPMI interface corresponds to a single fan header on the motherboard.

You’ll need to work out which zones correspond to which fan headers your fans (or fan hubs) are connected to.

While in the IPMI interface you should be able to hear the fan speeds change each time make a change to the correct zone (assuming your board is ok).

Good luck!

Hi Mihaici,

I have the same issue with yours. I have read your previous post and this reply, and I’m happy to hear that you have resolved the issue. I smell that the same thing has happened to me after upgrading the bios.
Here is a short question. Which bios version did you use to resolve the problem? I would appreciate it if you could let me know.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like