How do I create a website for my business? Need your Help

Hello allz,

I am new to the website development field. I want to make a website related to rug and carpets selling. My questions are:

How do I create and design websites?

How do you make your own website for free?

How can I learn how to create a website?

Can I make a website my self or do I need to hire some professional?

How does one build a website from scratch?

How much does it cost to make a website?

Please assist me in getting all my answers please

1 Like

First, welcome to the forums.

Given that this is for your business, I’d suggest hiring a pro-webdesign agency. Make sure you have your priorities laid out in some design-'n-build document, outlaying what you want/expect from the site (e-commerce or just informational, colors do’s and don’ts, images, logo, etc.)

As for cost: you pay for time spend. If you hire a design agency, you pay for their time. As they know what they’re doing, that’s a finite amount. If you do it yourself, with no clue what you’re doing, you’ll be spending long nights getting it “just right” but never really getting there.

Ultimately the choice is yours. We can’t, ever. :wink:

4 Likes

If you are looking for something with minimal effort on your end, I’ve heard a lot of good things about square space.
Gamers Nexus uses it for their store

You can use their affiliate code for 10% off

Linus Tech Tips uses it for their LTX event page

They have a affiliate code for 10% off

Otherwise, if you want to get into web development as a hobby, I’d recommend using github pages with jekyll

4 Likes

I think the best way to do website as a small/beginning company is to get a managed one like Squarespace or Wix. You just provide the design and content and they manage the rest.

DIY requires that you have people that can actually maintain it and make sure you do not get hacked. A managed service like above can offload the responsibility of uptime and security.

4 Likes

Thank you all for your kind replies. All replies are very helpful for me.

Thank you for your suggestion. I have checked some websites and I want to have ones like www.rugknots.com. Now I want to ask what will be the budget needed if I want to give the task to some design agency? Where can I get them? Is it better to have a designer from Fiverr or Upwork?

I think you want a continuous kind of contract, not a one time payment of sorts. One time payments sometimes does not even have documentation. These website documentations are vital to fix bugs in web designs. Always ask for these and ask another (web design) party if these are even intelligible.

Some of these fiverr services just use Squarespace anyway, might as well skip thr middle man.

1 Like

It is possible to create an ordinary website to be used for presenting business offers. You could turn it into an online shop. I work mainly with different areas of design, and people may say that you can create a simple website yourself. KDE will suit you.

Welcome @Oliverlaan.

As someone who has made 3 ecommerce sites I can tell you that there is a lot to consider.

Out of the box solutions such as squarespace, shopify, square, etc may be good for one person but bad for others. You need to consider you payment methods, shipping methods, stock and inventory, billing and invoicing, layout, expandability, security, and the list goes on.

If you want to DM me I can get on a video call with you and we can go through it all, and I can help you narrow down your options to 2 or 3 based on your needs, including DIY or Out of Box. and you can decide from there. I’ll also go over some costing with you if you need.

Also welcome to @ErinHenry552

I would personally recomend against wix. And Wordpress for the same reason. They are blogging platforms that have been extended to support ecommerce. It’s kind of like using a hammer like a drill, it wasn’t designed for it. Also Wordpress has a shoit tonn of security vulnerabilities now days.

Agreed, but also depending on budget and use case. There are options like linode that make uptime a non-existant problem as well. and security monitoring can be handled relativly cheaply in some instances.

Nope, Steer Clear of this lot. The vast majority of the “affordable” options will not give you the complete package. Their code will not be commented, It will be messy, and if you want someone else to work on your site they will likely tell you they will need to work from scratch again because of poor quality work from Fiverr.

This is a huge question and not easily answered on the forum. It’s not what they cost, but what do you have to spend (please don’t answer that here)? A semi-custom ecommerce site can range from $1,000 to $8,000. A full custom solution can take you well over $45,000. Out of the Box solutions (squarespace etc) generally don’t have an upfront cost, but will have larger ongoing costs. There are some good open source solutions that won’t cost you anything to impliment (technically) but you may need to pay someone to make it look the way you want it to which will cost you a lump sum (again $1,000 or more). There are also some Open Source “Freemium” solutions that might give you everything you need without actually having to pay (See a product called Odoo). It really depends on how much money you have to spend, and what you need from the site.

(Edit: you also need to consider ongoing costs depending on your solution, and take into account commision from payment providers. Hosting can run you anywhere from $5 per month depending on how busy your site is, and commisions start at about $0.20 per transaction and possibly a percentage as well.)

Like I said in my above, I’ve done this before. DM me and I’ll share what I’ve learned and give you a hand.

1 Like

I think if you have a lack of experience in web development you should appeal to the companies that make websites and they will help you.
But if you are sure that you want to spend a lot of time you can use Figma to make your website design and download some code pieces of frontend there. Then you will need to make the backend which is much harder. I think it is better to hire someone for this. it will cost you about 200$ if the website is not very complicated. You will also need hosting and domain, but that will cost you a maximum of 30$. So The final price for an easy project would be around 250$.

i can help with contacts of developers

WordPress is the first software I think of for a quick commerce site, but I’m not aware of the security of it for that.

Joomla is what I use for my site’s front page and I feel it’s customizable enough for commerce. I don’t have any recommendations for providers or hosts for these.

Wordpress itself is ok and secure enough, its the plugins (and the entire plugin infrastructure) that are causing security issues. Its a mess.

Creating and designing websites can seem daunting at first, but there are lots of resources out there to help you get started.

1 Like

Given the questions you asked… I’d say hire a pro but do your homework!

Here is an example of my own encounter with “pro developer”, so if someone is posing as a pro and they build pretty websites doesn’t mean they know anything about security.