How do I bypass smoothwall? (annoying school web filter)

I’d like to say hello and welcome you
Good day that is my name
Come here and sit down
I’m so glad you even really truly ca- ok i’ll stop im just addicted to tally hall.

So my school has a web filter known has smoothwall, it’s pretty well made. That means that it blocks proxy websites, coolmathgames (RIP), etc., and ever since the teachers discovered that you could play Terraria via scratch, thats probably gonna get added to the blocklist. The network administrators are competent, some bypasses (edit: these require system modification, so they are a bit hard to do without getting caught, which i dont want to ruin my reputation with the staff, just disregard what i said here) were overlooked, but to be honest I’m gonna give them a pass on that one since the only thing they know shit about is networking. All of our computer activity is heavily monitored, remote access, file explorer checks, sophos antivirus, and everything else I don’t know about. I can’t install programs, because I can only use a computer when a teacher is present, and it’s the same for everyone else. I’m 75% sure they don’t monitor network traffic, and if they do they don’t do it well. Would it be possible to get access via a remote access virus/malware and connect to the computers sometime at night? Please help, these guys are good, best school networking I’ve ever seen.

Sincerel- Shitfuck, mindyobusiness

1 Like

3 Likes

Now, what you’re asking may be against community guidelines.

I’ll give my answer anyway. Not bad, I’d say they’re doing a good job. You just need to create a tunnel somewhere out of the network, one that is inconspicuous in network monitoring. Something like SSTP, because it works over HTTPS, so cannot be easily blocked on network level. It’s tricky because you can’t install software and probably configure network settings. Malware isn’t something that would work either, unless you create your own, which requires knowledge (those PCs are probably full of anti-virus software that will kill any “off the shelf” thing, and show up on their monitoring immediately :slightly_smiling_face:). Also incredibly illegal, and I’m not liable for any of my advice here.

You could also use SSH (maybe somehow without install) to make a tunnel, with a port exposed to you to connect through. But any HTTPS site will fail because DNS will no longer match, and you can’t edit the hosts file probably, so far from trouble free.

Now, I’ve got no idea what they have there, but my guess is to circumvent the file explorer monitoring just don’t use file explorer. Time to use the cmd/powershell if available.

Man, if network admins in my school were as good as yours I maybe would’ve had a challenge. It may very well be not worth the trouble. You can make a system a fortress, to the point that the only weakness is the human behind it, and since they’re competent, you’re not gonna phish them.

1 Like

it is so here comes the :axe:

1 Like

School webfilters are there for a reason obviously.
We as Level1techs don’t temp to support or encurrage,
any illegal activities.
Or otherwise activities that breaks certain rules or laws.

Also at school, you should of course totally focus on doing school work.
And not spend time to figure out how to get around the school’s firewall,
to watch online cat video’s or playing minecraft. :slight_smile:

5 Likes