Minecraft Server is Blocked on School Network. Is there a way to unblock it?

So I host a private Minecraft server for myself and a few friends, from home, but I am not able to access it from school. Minecraft is able to go through all the needed identification to make sure the accounts legit, but won’t allow me to connect to any external servers to play on. I think the ports that most Minecraft servers use are being blocked (25565), so i’m thinking of trying a port, such as one of the ones that Google Chrome or Internet Explorer uses, to try to get Minecraft to work.

Will changing the port to something that works, such as one of the ones from Chrome, all the server to be connected to, or is it a lot more complicated than that?

1 Like

Changing the port might work if its just a basic firewall. But maybe you should be doing school stuff in school....

3 Likes

Why would I be doing school stuff when I can play Minecraft instead? :D

You should be studying.... Higher education is going to kick the shit out of you

1 Like

Hence why I did answer your question. But were all for education. A lot of people want to bypass school firewalls to not do work, it actually gets asked quite a few time here.

So when we say you should study we're only saying it because we care (really we do)

I remember having the schools root user password xD you could connect to the other computers and mess with people. A select few had been trusted with this high value information and we never abused it. Sadly someone else was told it and ruined it for us. :(

Just make sure you do your work. Also be carfull of bypassing school networks, sometimes it can be cause for expulsion depending on your school, thats also why we suggest you not do things like that.

1 Like

I thought that could only happen by using a proxy or a vpn? I'm still using the ports that the network administrators had left open for anyone to use, so I thought it wouldn't have been a problem. I'm just using the intended purpose for something a bit...different.

Those networks are generally very broad with the rules. It likely has a clause about games, or about anything they consider misuse, which might mean using a port for something it wasn't intended.

1 Like

I used to use proxy servers to get around stuff in highschool if needed but a ton of plugins didn't work so I don't think playing Minecraft would work. Just focus on school when you are there and play Minecraft at home.

Changing port might help. If you could run a vpn that would probably be ideal. Also it might be the traffic type in which case you are fucked altogether (UDP vs TCP)

I played MC in college way too much.
I regret it all. I should've focused on classes more.

We are not likely going to help you bypassing your school filters. Rule of thumb is if you're at school, do all the work there and when you're at home feel free to play games and then crash.

So in order to avoid this discussion spilling out of hand and into a grey to dark area, I'm closing this thread down.

1 Like