Hosting your own "Spotify"

Roughly a year ago there was Wireguard - Perfect Remote Access

Cool! Well, I’m always late to the party, but I’m here now.

In any event, what are you folks using to host your own music streaming service? I’m not looking for anything fancy; just basic audio streaming to my phone. I see that there are a modest number of choices, but I’d rather not try them all looking for the “best” one.

If I could spin it up under Docker, that would be nice as the maintenance is usually less.

Thanks!

1 Like

The low effort choice would be plex. you don’t even need wireguard to access it and they have dedicated music apps for android and ios.

One of my favorite homelab blogs posted recently about Navidrome. The docker-compose script is within the post.

There’s also Jellyfin that I personally use for videos along with music streaming through a browser or an app on my phone.

2 Likes

I would “recommend” GitHub - raveberry/raveberry: A multi-user music server with a focus on participation Raveberry. I use it(x86 system), its docker based, rather easy to setup. Might be what you want.

Another vote for Navidrome. Its pretty much what you want

I have mine exposed with NGINX PM and it works great

Thanks very much everyone!

I’m probably going to use Navidrome. I spun up an instance last night and it was REALLY easy to setup. Clearly I need some experience with it, but it’s looking good.

I’ve always been paranoid about Plex. It’s probably fine, but…

I’ve played with Jellyfin for videos, and it was fine for that EXCEPT for videos which had non-dialog Bluray subs (signs, billboards, that sort of thing). So for now, I keep my videos on my NAS and play them back using Kodi.

Once again, thanks!

Seen jellyfin on ltt, looks like a altetnative to plex

1 Like

I’ve heard that plex and plexamp work well, but I use Roon so I haven’t had to look in to anything else.

I actually set this up for myself recently, I tried Navidrome and Jellyfin but the mobile apps just don’t have great offline support at the moment. Although if you don’t care about offline playback Navidrome is great.

Personally I have just decided to use Nextcloud to sync music and playlist files to my phone. Once the subsonic client apps get better offline support I will definitely switch over to Navidrome.