Honda e

Apparently the Audio Turd has cameras instead of wing mirrors too.

As for the range, this is standard stuff, if you need more then obviously this is not the car for you. Just like if you need more space. If you don’t like trucks then don’t buy a truck etc.

Personally I’m looking forward to having a pleasant, open and comfortable space to occupy in a quiet and refined car. People who have driven the 99% complete prototype say it is extremely easy to drive and very smooth.

1 Like

Man, there are so many issues with electric cars atm.

I would really, really love one. Not only for cost, or the environment, but also because i genuinly feel like they are more fun to drive. I always like Diesel for the low-end torque and electric turns that to 11.

There are so many but’s though.

1. You need a place to charge. I live in one of the largest cities of germany and can find 2-3 spots to charge an EV. I don’t live in a house with a garage where i could charge my car every night. So, unless there are Stations at every 4 or 5 streets, that won’t work. No matter the range. If i have to walk half an hour to the charging station, i can reach 99% of places by foot anyways.
    Same at work. I’d effectively need only 40-50 miles of range per day. But without anywhere close by to charge it up, it ain’t working.
    If i’d actually have a house with a garage to charge, then range becomes a Problem. I’d have to drive from somewhere in the suburbs to my job, where 100 miles per day gets tight quickly. Especially if you want to get some groceries on the way home.

2. Why would i want to replace mirrors with cameras and screens? Same for the Instrument Cluster. We are sold this Vision of the all Screen Future for NO benefit. You get the same functionality with an infinitly higher chance of failure, less durability and insane costs to replace. Yes, it looks nice, but it’s sacrificing functionality and repair-ability for looks, which is well against building a vehicle to save the environment.
    I’m all for infotainment. Navigation, radio, Music etc. And all of that with a nice big screen. But that luxury. Mirrors are safety equipment and replacing them with a less reliable alternative sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Seriously. I’m pretty sure the current EV’s are only a stepping stone. I personally think hydrogen would solve a lot of the Problems we currently have with range and Charging Times. People just need to be educated about the actual (very low) risks and benefits. Plus they need to come down in price. Then we can use existing infrastructure (Gas Stations) just like LPG.

I feel like the all screen Trend isn’t going away soon, so i’ll get used cars for a long time. I hate that there are ever more parts that can break in cars. Those aren’t phones or PC’s. I’m not planning to replace my car every 2 years. Durability is an actual concern here. And my life depends on certain things working. Mirrors are one of those things.

2 Likes

I am all for electric cars. This one in particular looks fine, the milage is enough for me, etc.

I do own a fairly simple car, so all I can think of here is all possible points of failures, should it ever malfunction (which it will, eventually)…

It gets even worse really. (Sorry, this got a bit ranty…)
(Keep in mind, that i haven’t done an extensive study on this. All of my knowledge is from research and what others said. None of this is my own work and so forth).

In terms of environment those cars are really bad. Especially electronics and Batteries are a really nasty job to manufacture and not at all environmentally friendly.
If you add to this, that (with the average lifespan of electronics nowadays) you’ll be replacing computers and screens in that thing every 2-3 years, and the Battery after, what, 10 years?
There are a LOT of cars on the streets now that are 20 years and older. Those are actively driven. Most people are fine with a car from 1990 (now close to 30 years old) and some cars are driven from over 50 years now. If you take the emissions and waste from production over the average lifespan into account, the maths get skewed towards traditional vehicles very fast.

All of this assumes though, that you aren’t buying a new car anyways. Getting a new car “just because it’s electric” isn’t helping the environment one bit. If you have to get a new car anyways, it’s a tougher call.

Finally, all materials from old cars can be recycled (apart from some gasgets and such). It’s all Metal, Glas and very little plastics. From modern Cars, there is a whole bunch of stuff that we just can’t get rid off, Batteries being only one of the Problems.

I really like all the safety improvements of modern cars, but there has to be a better way to do all this then what we are doing now. There have been some concepts of cars made from Natural Materials, but that’s a long way off.

For now, i feel like, most EV’s are a second or third car for rich people to pretend like they give a damn about the environment, because Tesla is so hip now. I doubt any of those cars are actually helping the environment.
Picking people up to drive together and keeping your old car for longer would be smart. But that doesn’t scream “I’m green” enough, driving that 2000’s Honda Accord for 300k Miles.

2 Likes

Why? It doesn’t make any sense. I have TV’s that are a decade old and my core2duo still works so why?

On the topic of batteries, many make this out to be worse than it really is. These battery packs are likely only going to see 80% charge their entire life because that’s what’s been programmed to be their maximum capacity. Add in the fact that a good portion of those charges will be to ‘80%’ of that 80% because it’s fast, and now your cycle count goes way up. If you look at Tesla’s packs as an example, they last in excess of 100ks miles with only a minor drop in range, about 5-7% at 100k. There’s a model s owner with over 400k on the clock.

If Tesla can figure it out, I’m sure Honda can.

2 Likes

The point isn’t that it can’t work.
But you have to admit, that the likelyhood of the Batteries working in 10 or 20 years is pretty slim. A Gas Engine doesn’t deteriorate over time (not as a whole. Gasgets and such do, but the Block and Tank won’t).

Have you looked at repairs of a 1990s 3 series BMW compared to new ones? The amount of Electrics failures is insane in comparison. Every single component of that car is connected to a computer of some sort. Making it 1. more susceptible to problems and 2. less repairable by even competent workshops. It’s what apple has been doing. Designing Products to look nice, but be more fragile and less repairable every year. The stripping away the option to even attempt repair yourself, or let anyone but a workshop of that brand be able to do something to your car.

Selling one car every 15 years just isn’t profitable anymore. Companies are interested in us changing our Car every 3-5 years. And that’s the lifespan they are planned for.

I’ll eat my words in 2039 when a 2019 electric, all screen car is still running and maintainable. I strongly suspect it won’t be, while all those 90’s cars will still be around and drive fine. That is, as long as there’s gas. So we need to figure out something. I just don’t think more screens and technology is the solution here.

The point isn’t that they don’t work anymore. A Commodore is also technically still working. You just can’t so anything usefull with it anymore. Or all of the 80’s PC stuff. Replacement parts get scarce and expensive. Getting a new Mainboard for that Core2Duo should prove rather hard, when needed.
Also, Electronics 10 years ago was build to last longer than technology nowadays. My TV is similarly old and works. My Parents went through 3 TV’s in 5 years. All new and shiny 4k Smart Panels. Samsung isn’t interested in you keeping your TV for Ten years when they can sell you a new one every 2.

2 Likes

EV batteries usually far outlive the rest of the car. The bodywork falls apart before the battery becomes unusable.

There were some early failures, but those were sorted out getting on for a decade ago.

EVs are extremely low maintenance. No exhaust, no fuel system, no spark plugs, single fixed reduction gear, no oil, no coolant… Even the brakes get a lot less wear because of regenerative braking.

Of course you can run them indoors without poisoning yourself too. Great fun to drive, instant torque, but also extremely easy and relaxing when you want that.

1 Like

Is a really bad example. They are a meme in the US because of their ‘reliability’. Even an e36 or e30 wasnt great. I know because I’ve had both. Thats probably one of the reasons I have a honda civic si now.

Sure it is, because you get people to trade it in and then you make more money off the used sale. Its huge margins in used cars.

I disagree. What we have now is a flood of cheaper electronics that people prefer to spend less money on. The high end stuff is still out there and still just as good if not better. Things have gotten cheaper.

I dont buy this argument. If I buy an old car its still a car, it still does car things. Its not like the tires become incompatible with the road. The thing is still going to move down the road like you expect it to. Just like the computers in cars are going to keep doing what they are expected to do. An ECU from the 90’s doesnt just become irrelevant because its from the 90’s.

Your parents probably arent buying high end electronics are they? They’re likely buying the cheap ones. That decade old TV you have… how much was it? Was it the cheapest one?

My point is this is not a small purchase, and if the equipment was shit who would have more to lose… Honda, or you?

I agree, we need a 30 yo boomer option where theres no bullshit, just electric motors a wheel and some pedals. Let me add what I want down the road later.

2 Likes

Besides the Fisher Price aesthetic and the horrendous amount of distractions on the dash, the Honda seems fine.

Range is poor, but I’m assuming that means it will be cheaper. Would make for a good commuter car.

EDIT: Not sure why Discourse wants me to reply to that post.

Theres still oil in the form of differentials and gear oil but admittedly this tends to last a long time.

actually there is, thats how the supercharging is managed. the batteries are actively liquid cooled… for tesla anyway I havent looked much into others.

1 Like

Even this is getting worse.
Even i (not THAT old) remember being able to swap the stereo with 2 hours of work. I replaced one on my 85 renault that had Bluetooth and Hands-Free talking and such, for 75 bucks.
You just cant do anything on modern cars anymore. You can’t even upgrade them at all.

Really, i’m not saying that this can’t be done. We are able to make electronics that last. And some companies still do. But most don’t, because we as consumers keep buying crap and replacing it every 2 years.

See my old man rant from above.

2 Likes

I agree to a point. But Android Auto and Apple Car Play are actually a good thing. It means the brain of your Stereo is in your phone, which is much easier to upgrade the Software on.

1 Like

I’m guessing that the 1988 in your name is there to indicate something specific and that you are actually not just a fan of that particular number, in which case we are the same age.

1 Like

Aye. I often thought about not putting personal info in my Username, but that name has been with me for 20 years now, so i’m not planning to change it :wink: I’m not to sensitive when it comes to my age

They are a good idea with poor execution

Admittedly I dont know much about apple car play but for android auto this is not the case. Its a full featured version of android which can mirror your phones screen or be operated independently.

The proprietary design of these systems is such that you cannot modify it yourself easily…

A better setup would be to leave the double din standard and have android auto / car play in new head units.

1 Like

The worst trend now is making the build in Headunit look like a 70$ add-on TomTom from 2008. What’s up with this?

Yes, Double-Din was perfect. Not Perfectly Pretty, but consistent, compatible and flexible. I guess we won’t get it back though. To be honest, i don’t care anymore. If i have Bluetooth or Aux-In, i just use my phone for everything. And i won’t get a car, used or new, without Bluetooth or Aux. So i couldn’t care less for what they do with their Headunits.

I just don’t want to rely on screens for security equipment like Mirrors or the speedometer. Not unless there is an actual benefit.
For example Head-up Displays. I’m fine with those as they have actual benefits in terms of security and keeping your eyes on the street. Yet no one seems to improve on those… I just don’t get the car industry at all.

Maybe we should go into business making the cars boomers want.

1 Like

Reminds of that one Simpsons Episode:

1 Like

Looks allot like the first gen Civic.
However no i’m totally not excited about it really.
But i’m not excited about any fully electric cars at all.

The design is funky, but i think that it would be better to Hybrid it.

1 Like