Home surveillance systems

Hopefully the camera will also be fine during the winter. I might ask some locals to see what cameras they have.

1 Like

I got the EXIR today and just finished doing the setup, looking at the specs it has a operating range of -30c to +60c which I believe is pretty standard, it's prolly 4x the size of a normal bullet camera and is pretty hefty.

1 Like

Looks good, might get one of those for the front of my house. Looks less intrusive compared to the domes lol.

seems as though it's not available from a reputable seller on amazon.ca

1 Like

That's a funny story....I ordered it from newegg but it arrived shipped from amazon, it was shipped from china but the order was fulfilled by amazon, too weird, my wife sez it's some marketplace deal a lot of retailers use now, first time that has happen to me.

1 Like

Hahaha, that indeed is funny. At least you got what you order!

edit: totally forgot to check out newegg for cams

1 Like

Since I am pretty sure that I will get these:
http://canada.newark.com/pro-power/cbbr6332/shielded-multipair-cable-4-pair/dp/60R4035
http://canada.newark.com/aim-cambridge/32-5998ul/cat5-rj45-modular-plug-8-position/dp/66K8784

do i need this expensive wire crimper?
http://canada.newark.com/duratool/ht-n468b/crimp-tool-ratchet-207mm-modular/dp/60R2634

OR will any ethernet crimper suffice?

Well, it depends, yes any crimper will do, so it comes down to is this a task that you will continue doing (making your own cables) or will you just do this job and never make another cable? I originally bought a cheap crimper and after making cables with it (varied success that might have be attributed to the crimper being a POS) I understood that if I was going to continue to make cables I needed better crimpers so bought a pair of the ratcheting type that require less effort from your hand to do a good job.

I knew better than to buy cheap, but you know sometimes it really doesn't matter, like buying a hammer, every hammer you buy will drive a nail but the lighter the hammer the harder you have to work and the more shock is transferred to your hand and arm, if your only driving a few nails every now and then it doesn't matter, but if your going to build something and drive 100's of nails after one day you will go buy a good hammer that takes way less effort to do the same job....

So.....it to me comes down to just one job? or a task you will add to your list of thing that you will say I can do that and will make your own cables for other things, if you buy cheap for one task it'll prolly work out fine, but if you have to use that tool over and over for many jobs the better tool winds up being a great value not just in the quality of the tool but also the quality of the job you can accomplish with it.

In my case...yes I started out making my own cables for the CCTV system but since I have the tools I make most of my own cables for all my networking needs, I have also made cables for other people, in the home world buying pre-made cables is the norm but in the industry making cables is a task that you never escape doing if your career is in networking, computers, or even just a electrician, almost every new building is pre-wired for network and the biggest part of that is running cable.....

I think you get the point....lol

1 Like

I will get the more premuim crimper then haha.

I still don't know if this stuff will be ok when there is rain (at least the part going up the wall to the soffit
http://canada.newark.com/pro-power/cbbr6332/shielded-multipair-cable-4-pair/dp/60R4035

I might use some polyolefin insulation to wrap the ethernet cables

1 Like

That is really good shielded cable....note the aluminum wrap around the wire pairs, most cheap Cat5e will not have that shielding as a default. but then it's kinda' pricey too, you get what you pay for, any extra wrap or conduit, or insulation you add will only help in protecting the cable, as long as there are no nicks in the outside shielding there really isn't a way for water to get inside the cable, the cameras come with a screw-on cover that you have to install before putting on the rj45 at the camera end of the cable, it protects the connection and hides the connection also.

On the crimpers....yea, that would be my choice, get the ratcheting type they do a much better job.

1 Like

Thanks for the insight and clarification.

Just found a graph of avg. temperatures in my area.

The cable says it can stand -20C. I think I am good !!!

Going to ensure the cameras are the same!

Jesus son, your part of the "great white north"...that's some cold temps, while I'm suffering through another 90+F day with over 60% humidity I kinda' envy those temps...well till winter rolls around. lol

1 Like

lol,

1 Like

Do hikvision cameras work or come with the trendnet software?

1 Like

Rephrase the question......they do not come with Trendnet software but do show-up in the Trendnet configuration software, they come with their own Hikvision software but it's not necessary to use it.

Hope that answers your question....

Note the cameras that start with DS-xxxxx these are Hikvision cameras , this is the detection page from the Trendnet software. You might also take note of the mac addy naming convention, most all trendnet cameras have the first 3 groups of numbers the same and the last three groups are different, the Hikvision camera macs are all over the place but then again Hikvision has more camera models on the market than trendnet does which makes you wonder if Hikvision as a company makes the trendnet cameras for Trendnet and installs the trendnet firmware, there is a tie between the two companies but I just don't know what it is.

And no I'm not worried about the Macs being displayed here since the cams are on a closed network with strong passwords, there is zero chance of someone viewing my cameras that isn't on my network...and no I don't have Wifi that is accessible either.

1 Like

Something that might help you to understand is that none of this detection software is totally necessary to access the cameras, most cameras have a factory default user name and password and a default IP that they will try to use right out of the box, of course that doesn't help you if every camera you try to install wants to use the same IP....

But if we talk about just one camera at a time if you know the defaults you just need to plug the camera in to the network (make sure the default IP isn't going to conflict with something else already on your network) open a web browser and type in the IP addy, a page should come up that you can enter the default user name and password to access the camera.

Once in you can change everything all the settings and most cameras will require you to change the default password before letting you exit the configuration. Of course the detection software makes it somewhat easier because it scans your network looking for cameras, it's a great tool that lets you choose between DHCP or a fixed (static) IP, change the default password, and take you to the camera itself displaying a feed and providing you access to advance settings.

If a Hikvision camera is access from the trendnet software it will go through all the steps I mention above but when trying to go to the actual camera will open another tab and use the Hikvision software embedded in the camera to get you the rest of the way into the camera settings, it's this aspect that makes me believe that the companies are tied together in some fasion, in all honestly the Hikvision camera software/firmware is more robust and has more settings than the Trendnet firmware.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

I think im getting this camera:

IDK the difference between this one and that one:

http://www.hikvision.ca/en/Products_accessries_10531_i20953.html

The second link says the camera can stand -30C temps, hope the Amazon link one can also stand -30C.

Also, should I get these expensive connectors?

http://canada.newark.com/aim-cambridge/32-5998ul/cat5-rj45-modular-plug-8-position/dp/66K8784

Is there anything special compared to less expensive RJ45 connectors?

Found a good crimping tool for a little cheaper:

That is the exact crimper I have....lol

You don't need the expensive "gold plated contact" RJ45's I'd advise you to buy a small quantity of whatever you buy at first, I personally like the 2 piece design and find I have better 1'st time success with them, someone also makes a connector that the wires pass through holes in the end of the plug (although I can't find a link at the moment) but these also work very well for first timers....lol

1 Like

I think I'm going to get these:
Monoprice RJ-45 Modular Plugs RJ45, 100-Pack for Solid (107245) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B005BAP4W8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_5jXXxbV76SZYH

The ethernet I'm planning to get is shielded, is there any special procedure ?

Thanks

Btw, here's the list of what I'm getting:

4 cams:
Indoor/Outdoor (TV-IP311PI) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00I3GKMC4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_wnXXxb64C6JJT

The ethernet spool

Connectors

The trendnet crimper

WS-POE-8-ENC Multi Port Passive POE Injector for 8 devices - see other listings for power supply options https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0075F7F2O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_lpXXxbBBY4HQ3

(Hopefully I an find a seller with free shipping)

2 OR 3TB WD Purple???? Motion detect

I also need a wall mounting bracket for a camera