Home surveillance systems

They will be fine, do not forget the cable tester.......

As for making up cables and applying the RJ45's yeah it's something you'll have to learn, best advice I can give you is to watch several vids on doing it like these...

Everyone of these vids will give you tips that you can use, but you will make mistakes at first, don't get discouraged just figure out what happen and don't do it on the next try, the first cable I made I cut the connector off 4 times before I got it right...lol now I've taught my wife how to do it and she makes up the ends while I run the cable..... ;)

DON"T FORGET THE CABLE TESTER>>>>>>YOU WILL THANK ME LATER!

The cams are a good choice, everything looks good to me.....

BTW...glad you made it back to the forum after all the drama..... :)

1 Like

Thanks
I will get this cable tester
HDE Network Cable Tester for Lan Phone RJ45 RJ11 RJ12 Cat5 Cat6 UTP Wire Test Tool https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B009ZXYI1U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_iBXXxbRJR6YRY

It will show me which color is done incorrectly?

That's good teamwork!
Yea, I didn't know what was going on at first. The "brb" kinda tricked me into thinking there was actually a maintenance

1 Like

not sure why all the trouble you could just install win10.

Basically how it works is that you connect one part to each end of the cable, the slim part slides off the wider part, you can do this either before or after the cable is ran, I do mine after since a lot of the runs you can not do with a cable end on the cable...lol

But anyway one end of the cable (RJ45) is connected to the tester and it has 8 leds, it sends a signal down each wire in the plug to the corresponding wire at the other end, so it will start at say pin one if it lights you know that is good...it runs through each pin/wire so the display should go from 1 to 8 in sequence and then start over, if it goes from 1 to say 3 then back to 2 then to 5 you have crossed wires and you have to cut the plug off, throw it away, and start over again. if it goes from 1 and doesn't light 2 but lights every other led in sequence then that wire was too short, didn't get crimped right, or some failure, again you cut the plug off and try again with a new plug...

If it doesn't light any of the lights, you have the color code reversed on one end or the other and you find the end that isn't correct, cut the plug off and try again with a new plug.....there are a few other scenarios but I think you get the jest....in every instance you cut the plug off and try again with a new plug.

You will also find it's much easier to run your cable through any conduit or obstruction and once it's clear (outside the house, you can determine the length of cable you need (rough run) and install the RJ45 while on the ground, test the cable, then if it's good finish running your cable (don't forget to add the cover that has to be slid on the cable (comes with camera) before adding the connector)

Anyway I'd take a couple foot length of cable and your tools and practice making patch cables, once you make a good cable or two you can move on to making the camera cable runs with some confidence....I didn't do this but you should...lol

Nothing will replace the knowledge you get from actually doing it and messin' up then figuring out what you did wrong, you will find that there are two color conventions for how the wires are laid out in the plug, I will tell you it makes no difference how it is color coded as long as you do the same scheme on each end, it will make a difference if connecting one end to a patch panel (punched down) and a RJ45 to the other end, so it's a good idea to use the correct color code and always use that code......no sense in deviating from a standard until you fully understand what your doing and can do it with ease.

I will virtually guarantee your first screw-up will be the orientation of the wires in the plug, it still trips me up sometimes...you'll see. lol

1 Like

Too bad your in Canada, I have a wall bracket I'd donate to you but the shipping would cost more than the bracket....

I had a friend give me a Anran (Chinese) IP dome camera that he couldn't use, it's non-PoE so I can only use it indoors, anyway he had stopped using it and forgot the log-in credentials to access it (no reset on the camera), I finally found software yesterday that let me change the IP, login and password remotely out of a Windows box...worked like a charm, I was able to reconfigure it for my network and even found the RTSP path that the camera outputs on, punched the info in ZM and now have 16 cameras running....lol

1 Like

DO you know what model the camera bracket is? I need one for the Trendnet (TV-IP311PI)
thx lol

No I'll look tonight, after thinking about it I doubt it would work because it cam off a Chinese PTZ camera and I don't think you could mount a trendnet to it without re-drilling the mounting plate to match it looks kinda' like this...but with a mount for the PTZ.

1 Like

ok thanks. I still having a hard time deciding what ethernet cable I should get.
1000ft is way too much
http://canada.newark.com/pro-power/cbbr6332/shielded-multipair-cable-4-pair/dp/60R4035 (only comes in 1000ft)

You can buy rolls of 250' and 500' also but the price per foot is higher, I actually bought 3 1000' rolls so I can pull more than one cable at a time...lol but you might find a use down the road for the left over cable, or just buy 500' of some other brand, the quality of most any cable will be fine for CCTV use since the data is 10/100 but that is just my opinion.

1 Like

looking at this atm:
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX54204 ($130CAD)

the newark cable is $180 with shipping

I think the cable should be fine in the winter, just don't bend it or move it.
I will use conduit for the exposed parts i.e. the wall going up to the soffit and the other parts on the wall

the other parts will be tucked in the soffit so no water or UV,
just worried about the cold lol

I think I found something decent:

IDK about the temp. rating but copper cable should be fine in cold, maybe even less resistance

1 Like

whatever you use it'll be fine, you have the right idea about protecting it...

1 Like

I still need to find a camera wall mount bracket so I can mount one of the cameras on the wall.

it seems like trendnet only has brackets for their speed Dome series.

btw, I will either use the included Trendnet software or the iSpy software (more user friendly lol)

I looked at the mount I have last night, sorry to say it is for a bullet camera not a dome, I could have swore that it had a round mount for a dome but was wrong...sorry.

I think after you see the Trendnet software you will be happy, especially with 4 cameras, I think it will do everything you want with no added cost.

Here's another cable vid.....you can never have to many opinions.

1 Like

Mini update:
Just got the PC:
Dell vostro 430
I7 870
12 GB RAM
Gtx 310 potato
Win7 pro
All for $150 CAD ,good deal

I threw in my old adata sp600 ssd
And clean installed win10 pro after upgrade from win7

More to come.

1 Like

Trendnet does not make any cameras for the camera I am getting. Might have to mount vertically on the wall...

Still seeing what camera to get:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX51992
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX51991

and what poe injector.

long delay lol

1 Like

Any suggestions ?

How is this PoE switch ?

Should be fine....it's a Cisco in Linksys clothing...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124053

It's very comparable to the Netgear switches that I use.

So hows it going? you have any of your stuff yet?

1 Like