Home surveillance systems

Good thinking. I might just exchange it for a new camera. I'll try it out with the last camera and see, I probably won't mount it on since I don't more holes in the soffit haha.

I got errors on my mobile device while having no video in browser or in the trendnet software.
The other cameras a great, no problems atm (or spiders atm) lol. :)
I still find the dome to have some glare at night, must be the IR.

1 Like

Just wait......we actually re-positioned and cleaned all the cameras Monday afternoon, by nightfall 2 of them had spider webs back in front of the lens, I hate winter but I'm getting to the point that I'm wishing it would get cold enough to kill the little buggers. lol

1 Like

After two three days of observing the camera that kept disconnecting , I found that the camera sometimes reconnects for a couple of hours. All other cameras are working as well as motion detection recording.
Idk , could it be cable interference or something causing this happen???

Lol spiders are hiding in my area, too cold haha

1 Like

Doubtful, did you change the camera out with another? if you don't have another you could swap it with one of the working cameras and see if the problem stays with that area ie cable problem or moves to the new location ie camera problem.

lol...just wait for spring.

1 Like

@Blanger I am just going to get an exchange , because I don't have much time to test out the camera. Today there was no signal, image at all. Yesterday, I had a few hours of video signal. Idk if the Poe switch is not enough for all three cameras? Probably not though.

Update: the cameras record poorly when at night ,video of people are just light streaks of light passing by, can't really see image of the actually person. Blurry)

Daytime, images/videos are good @30fps 1080p, motion detection is working , just need to deselect some areas of lots of trees/people.
So far only 55 GB of video from 3 cameras in 4-5 days.

Another good idea is to get some stickers or signs that indicate that the property is monitored 24/7 etc. as another deterrent.

Something is very incorrect here. Even stored as h264 that will be about 2tb.

My system has full 4tb. It's four 1080 cameras and two low res, stores about 6 days of footage at 5fps.

The software I use uses some weird format, only readable in software or exported to other formats .
The cams are also motion detection.

Is night vision kind of low quality on your camera s?

The PoE switch should have enough power for 4 cameras, it's probably just a bad camera....hopefully. did you make up your own cat 5 or did you use ready made cables?

I'd say you have your settings in the monitoring software not correct, the amount of data you are seeing is way too high unless you are recording everything......ie no motion detect just constant recording.

LOL...yeah can't hurt but you go to figure they have to get close enough to read the sign and of course that they can read and understand..., we have a sign on our front door and I catch people knocking on the door finally seeing the sign looking around then walking off...lol (we ain't coming to the door)

1 Like

Installed all four cameras. Exchanged the faulty camera. Everything seems to be fine atm. Stikl configuring the motion detection.

Night vision recording is blurry.

1 Like

you can first make sure that none of the cameras are using the motion detect built in the cameras and that is using the monitoring software motion detect, if that is the case you might switch them to use the motion detect in the camera and not the monitoring software to try, the night vision is going to be different with moving objects depending on your sampling rate (frame rate), I don't have the issue so I'm not going to be much help but at this point since all of your hardware is installed and working you can play around with other software.

I'm doubtful my settings will help you but my monitor view is between 20-30fps and the record feed is lower like 5-10fps, the other thing to consider is that the cameras have two feeds normally a channel 1 and a channel 2 feed one is intended for monitoring and is low quality the other is or should be the full HD output but at a slower frame rate for recording to your DVR or hard drive.....either way like I said you can play around with other monitoring software I just wouldn't run both at the same time.

Let me know what happens..

We finally took the day to run cable to the front of the house to add a camera on the front porch and one on the opposite corner of the house that catches the side/front lawn and the intersection of the side street and the main street, I need to do a little angle adjustment on the front porch one but we can now see when UPS or Fedex leaves packages without going to look.....lol

I still have to configure all the data for the came, but it's a Trendnet dome that has been in test mode for about a month, now that it's in it's home I'll finish the setup.

This was about 100' or a little more to run cable (100' to each one) so it took most of the day but it's finished.

The view below is from the Hikvision EXIR dome.....

And yes it need to have all the settings done also...ie camera name, time. time format etc.

1 Like

Not sure if this will help you but I'll throw it out there...

1 Like

Should I use those settings?

1 Like

I will try changing the motion detection, I'm using monitoring software motion detection so I will try using the camera self detection.

Nice! How many cameras do you have now

My current settings:

1 Like

Worth a shot, it's the settings I use with the Trendnet cams, but it's really close to how they come out of the box, at least the ones I've bought here in the states.

17 currently running, I have one more that was in test mode but I'm getting ready to install it on the back of the old garage pointing at the new condensing unit for the AC in the new building, might seem dumb but people steal them strip the copper out and scrap them for drug money, I've never had a problem and it can't be seen very easily but the area it is in (back of garage) I cannot see without walking around to the back side of the building, I do have a camera covering the area but at night it is pretty far away and I'm not satisfied that i'd capture any images if some fool tried to mess with it (wife thinks it's overkill..) but it's way too easy to just put up this camera and have peace of mind.

This is the image I get at night from that cam (note fresh spider wed...) anyway you can see the unit in the lower left of the image....it's just not good enough, the camera is too far away to capture a good shot if I need it to...lol

1 Like

Crap. One of the screws on my dome camera is stripped. I can't adjust the camera :(

1 Like

Return it.....

1 Like

It's already mounted on my soffit, I can take it off since I need to take off the screw holding the dome and then I would have to unscrew the other screws holding the whole camera into the soffit.

I will find a way of taking the screw out with the rubber band or duct tape method

1 Like

So it's one of the torx screws that hold the dome to the camera base....that sucks since they are recessed in the cover, the camera came with a L shaped wrench to remove the screws if it's not stripped too bad you might try a slightly bigger torx if you have one.....cheap Chinese screws ( no offense to Asians intended ) but I hate the mounting screws that come with the cameras they are so soft that they strip out easily...good luck.

1 Like

Ok, so the screw is not proprietary?
I will try a bigger torx with duct tape cover the screw.
The screws are so cheap, I could see small bits of the screws. The L shape is also harder to use compared to a straight handle, so I will try a bit driver with a bigger torx ibstead.
Thanks

1 Like