I am student self-funded student reading for MSc in software and systems security at Oxford university. I am currently back in India due to COVID19. I need to purchase a high compute system primarily to run multiple VMs which will all be hosting some form of big data platform such as Elastic stack (ELK stack) or Splunk. It will collect approximately 10-12 GB of network traffic per day for analysis.
My budget is 900 USD above which I will have to take a short term loan.
- I tried looking for AMD powered systems but couldn’t find any suitable ones from HP/Dell/Lenovo.
- I cannot assemble a system primarily due to warranty issues of taking it back to the UK. Hence I have decided to buy a branded system that can give me warranty transfer.
- I cannot get a system on the cloud due to cost of compute + network + I/O.
- All systems listed below are with 5 years global warranty.
Here are my options:
- Dell Precision 3440 SFF (cost: 1034 USD): Intel Xeon 1290 with 10C/20T/20MB Cache memory. 8 GB (8x1) 2666 MHz non-ecc RAM and a 256GB PCIe NVMe Class 40 M.2 SSD. Intel 1Gb NIC PCIe Card (Low Profile)
- Dell Precision 3440 SFF (cost: 1014 USD): Intel Xeon 1270 with 8C/16T/16MB Cache memory. 8 GB (8x1) 2666non-ecc RAM and a 256GB PCIe NVMe Class 40 M.2 SSD. Intel 1Gb NIC PCIe Card (Low Profile)
- Optiplex 7070 SFF (cost: 905 USD): Intel Core i7-9700 (8 Cores/8T/12MB), 16GB 1x16GB 2666MHz DDR4 Memory, M.2 256GB PCIe NVMe Class 40 Solid State Drive, Additional 3.5 inch 500GB 7200rpm Hard Disk Drive, AMD Radeon™ RX 550, 4GB, LP (DP/mDP/mDP)
I will be installing VMWare ESXi (free) and creating VMs on the system. I have a Synology NAS which I can maybe mount on the VMWare (I am unsure of this.).
System requires to be operational 24x7 and at room temperature without specialised cooling.
- Which of this is the most cost efficient system?
- I will need at least 16 more GB of RAM (two run at least 4 VMs) in case of Dell Precision or 8 GB in case of OptipPlex. - Any recommendations here?
- Recommendations for improving cooling without AC? A secondary fan maybe? But I am not sure if Dell Chassis will allow for it?