High compute system for student

Thank you very much! I appreciate this :smiley:

I do agree with Hossams advice in general - if you can, building your own rig isn’t that hard anymore, and there is plenty of tutorials online detailing all the steps - and you do get much more performance for the money.

That said, a prebuilt isn’t that bad either. It’s just that most prebuilts are pretty… Meh. Adding the “foreigner tax” (because of VAT, customs tax, shipping etc) always multiply your budget with 0.75 (or multiply with 1.33) to get the “real” budget of the system.

That is, a $900 system will cost you $1200 in India, but for $900 you should be able to afford a $675 system (as listed). With that in mind, this is what I recommend at that price point:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rHYMk6

This give you a good starting build that is pretty much as good or better in every respect as the systems you showed us. I would upgrade the 3700X to an even better CPU, but for a complete system I doubt you can afford that much more. 16 threads should allow for at least four VMs if not more, though the holy grail for a good virtualisation machine today is the 64c128t Threadripper 3990X. A 3950X should be within your limits too though.

But, if you can’t find the parts, or the lack of full system warranty is a deal breaker, pre-built is the way to go. Parts warranty should always apply from retailers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.