HGST compatibility with not so old MOBO

thanks for the detailed explanation
regarding the last reason for undetectable HD:
I have one pupulated M.2 slot, X4, hence SATA 5/6 are off. But I connected the HDs to a proven working SATA ports which occupied a working 3TB HDs.

I suppose the controller could still be bad. I’m not entirely sure how those usb enclosures work.

I’m looking for a system to test it… I only have a FUJITSU laptop other to the desktop.

And the only lead left is with ASUS support, they suppose to answer whether it’s definately the Z370 fault. After that, if I won’t find a way to test the controller someway, I’ll give up and return them…

Why would it be the fault of the board? The board works with other drives?

If the motherboard can address 3TB drives, then the size of the drives in this case would be irrelevant, as long as the drive follows SATA standards.

It might be a problem with the controller on both of the drives though.

I have 4-8tb drives hooked up to a haswell system. Its not likely the boards fault here.

according to my first conversation with ASUS support via chat, not every SATA HD is compatible. They said I need a new mobo, Z4**, or AMD 5** series, for this HD to work, but I don’t trust that support team, so I called them, and they’re suppose to get back to me with an answer.

Okay, fair enough.

I hope it is not just a case of the manufacturer not supporting old motherboards

…and try make me purchase a new hardware unnecesserily

Without another machine to test these in, theres no way to be certain. I cant imagine they would do something such as artificially limit disk size detectable by bios, but ASUS isnt exactly known for being the greatest manufacturer for ‘support’.

if it won’t work on an older system, I’ll need a newer system than mine to be sure, and I don’t know anyone with that hardware

Your system isn’t old

This has nothing to do with age at this point. Anything from the last decade should be capable of using those disks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.