Help, I need a pre-built pc with a mullet

Maybe that is a bad comparison. For Reasons i am looking for a pre-built gaming pc that does not advertise itself on the receipt as a gaming pc. These days it seems that every pc assembler is trying to out do each other on how gamer and rgb their builds are. Any suggestions on where to find such a beast. I realize that mullets aren’t exactly stealthy business attire, but the tittle sounded catchy in my head.

Thanks for any help. I am mostly a shy lurker here for the low key sarcasm, drama, and tech info. This seemed like the type of issue someone here has had to deal with before.

LTT did a series of “secret shopper” fairly recently, see what that has to offer. IIRC it was Spring this year, could be wrong though.

1 Like

What about a Dell Optiplex, & install your own GPU of choice.
They are mainly used in the corporate world, so should be fairly robust.
You may even be able to find a second hand one online relatively cheap, then blow the rest of your spondoolies on the GPU.
A quick search also brings up quite a few Optiplex custom gaming rigs, so check them out.

Thanks, i looked in the dell. Dell had some ok XPS Special Edition desktop pcs with a basic rtx3060. I kinda needed the whole purchase to fit on one invoice, so a separate videocard purchase is currently not possible. I was also considering System76. They have some builds that are not too overpriced and on a good day i am capable of the linux. Since i am personally not purchasing the computer, i was hoping for an easy way to point at one directly. I will have to see if system76 has a way of bookmarking a build on their site, so a less tech savy person could make the purchase. Their website seems farily easy to use, but it can be like a tech foreign language to some.

I love to create pcs, tune them to a person’s needs…but parts are scares. I have a few pcs around to create from…and a few made already I guess depending on the specs.

I do it for the love of tech and not as a set service…but I’d be willing to take a whack…

I had a thread on a lot of builds I did as I converted to full custom water loops… but can do something simple… and I love testing for Temps (on older intel I used to love to OC and undervolt to limit temp but get max performance).
Here was some builds found the thread.

Also happy to help demystify any tech jargon :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would totally want to build a pc if it were not for the specifics of this situation. well, and the current insane market conditions also are a factor, but an opportunity has arrived.

Lets say your job wants to buy you a pc… or maybe your grandparent want to, and lets say, hypothetically speaking, they both have antiquated ideas about what a pc is and the damaging affects of gaming on intelligence and or productivity. They want to buy a pc from a “reputable” source, and you dont want to wind up on integrated graphics. This would kinda but not exactly be the situation i find myself in.

I really cant believe i am conssidering buying a dell. I once owned the optiplex that started Dell’s reputation freeefall as the worst home pc in history.

1 Like

Yeah, I guess I could make a really fancy quote lol… just kidding… yeah that’s a tough one… but if you want a more current gpu a vendor would be a best bet sadly. Tough spot to be in.

@Sirulean What’s your use case and budget?

1 Like

The budget is around $2500 in American funds. Mostly I am just going to game on it, including some occasional low end face toaster vr action. I am planning on a good dissamble when i get it, especially if i do have to get a Dell. I dont really need a super beefy machine. I am looking at getting something with either a 3060 with 12gb or a 6600xt with 8gb. Although i do own a Oculus/Meta Rift S, I dont even have a monitor over 1080p. I would buy a laptop but the old man child in me feels like vr gaming is the closest thing i am gonna get to the future and that is difficult to do on a laptop.

2 Likes

Something like this?

Hmm…except you specified pre-built. Will have to mull on that one…

EDIT: Alright on a more serious note, I’d recommend a refurbished workstation. Boring corporate aesthetic, beefy power supply, built like a tank. You would need to make sure the power supply has the necessary connectors for your desired GPU, but then it’s a simple matter of slotting in a retail RTX 3060 or whatever. Something like the Dell Precision or HP Z-line.

1 Like

A little bit of back story. I have built a pc in the past. It was a beautiful cheap bastard with a $200 rx480 bought before the end times. My son stole that one for school, and he still regrets to this day not mining crypto on it.

I currently have a laptop with an acceptable 1070 gpu in it that was going to get me throught these dark times. I don’t really need a new pc, but this is just a windfall opportunity to acquire one. And i realize its a really specific need for a prebuilt.

so far i have 3 current contenders.

A Dell optiplex with a 5600g and a 3060 with a decent 32gb of ram on what is probably a really crappy mobo

A Lenovo Legion with the same specs as the Dell but on 16gb of ram and is the cheaest of the 3. I just hope they dont focus on the Legion branding too much.

And Lastly some combination of minimal parts in a System76 Thelio Mira that would probably almost break the budget at near 3k but be much better for future upgrades. If i go with this one i have to decide if i want an AMD 6600xt or an Nvidia 3060. The 6600 is budget friendly but my face toaster thinks their drivers look sus.

1 Like