Help choose monitor

@Evil_MOBO nice...ya i got nvidia already so gsync for me as well...also will stay team green.....why did you get the hybrid instead of the classified? just because the water cooling? im getting the classified...the clocks are slightly faster

I was going to get the classified as well but I really liked how the Hybrid also has good clocks, overclocks, well, and stays very cool. I just wanted to be a little different and the AIO cooler appealed to me. I was first looking at the 980 Hybrid but while deciding 980 Ti or 980 I got an email from EVGA saying the Hybrid Ti was back in stock so said screw it and ordered it off of Amazon. EVGA directly wanted $52 in tax so I didn't get it from their website directly for that reason.

I was also looking very hard at the KFA2 HOF 980 Ti that @Wendell reviewed.

@Evil_MOBO Ya i looked at the kfa2 hof as well but I like evga so im going to get the classified

Get a Kingpin :)

too much money. I dont want to upgrade my gpu at all but it seems like i might have to. just to be able to play at 1440p. I spent $1900 on my rig 3 years ago almost and thought I would be fine for at least 4+ years. But this monitor is making me upgrade early....I have been using my 1080p led samsung tv and I think i have been getting 60hz(because hdmi), its a 120hz tv

Buy an R9 390 or GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 and save some $$ for an upgrade later.

@Evil_MOBO I rather not have to upgrade again once I do this upgrade for 1440p. I rather just get the best I can now and wait another 3 or 4 years at least till I think about upgrading again. I was hoping I was not going to have to upgrade anything for at least 4-6 years. It has only been 3 years :( I was planning not upgrading anything until I upgraded everything (new platform).

the money I am thinking about spending on a new gpu and monitor I could build another amazing rig or put it to a new platform upgrade. But then I would be monitor-less again.

Decisions, decisions lol.......

ya lol that is what sucks about technology...even if you buy the best its still outdated before it gets to the store......but my decision is to get a monitor then possibly a gpu if mine cant handle it. everything else is good enough to last me until x99 is perfected and cheap and the next platform is out maybe? Then I will upgrade everything.

I am currently awaiting parts for an X99 build myself..... lol.....

nice. i built my rig right before x99 came out

But Freedom, and better performance per dollar, usually. A g-sync version is supposed to come out shortly, it's definitely worth it over a standard 1440p monitor with 144hz. Since it's ya know all ultra wide and curved.

This discussion sparked me to play with some modes on my setup i5-3570K (OC 4.2), 980 Ti Hybrid (OC 1425Mhz) & AMH 399U UHD 60 Hz.

Below was the best compromise I came up with in FPS and quality. Basically I setup a custom mode via the NVidia control panel for a 21:9 3440 x 1440 resolution @ 60Hz. So that emulates an ultra wide monitor but actually measures a little bigger than ones being released soon.

I was able to maintain ~60 fps for 90% of the time with the occasional dip to high 50s with most settings at high (forget Hair Works though). I was very happy with the game playing experience though I know I can also run at 2560 x 1440, have almost max graphical settings and run the monitor at full screen with a very small amount of scaling softness.

Goes to show you can't get round the need for a powerful GFX setup to push this amount of pixels.

I'm also happy that my CPU runs at ~42 DegC with a good air cooler and the 980 Ti is at 48 DegC with the AIO and uses 200W less power than my 2 x GTX 970 SLI (though they were ~10% faster than my 980 Ti).

1 Like

Very informative. Thanks for posting this.

Thanks

What I hadn't considered before that little experiment was that that the jump from 2560 to 3440 aspect was another 1.3M pixels or ~25%. So that's why even with an OC 980 Ti I was having to lower settings to maintain 60 fps.

@Streetguru I have been convinced to get an ultrawide, but I am still going to consider the 27" monitors. I am waiting for asus' and acer's gsync versions of the ultrawide. It all depends on the price because I almost can get 2-27" gsync 144hz for the price of one ultrawide.

There go go, then later when you have the $$ you can add a third one :)

@Evil_MOBO I dont know what to do anymore. Getting a nice monitor means I need a nice gpu. I am scared even if i buy the best gpu to date it wont be able to max out 1440p in the future. And that is a lot of money for 2 items.

the 4k a399u I'm considering still because of the price and i can play at 1440p etc on it still. But it wont have gsync or high refresh rate. It also isnt ips but @wendell said it was similar to ips. Also I could just not get a new gpu and save the money until my next build in a few years. I could just play at 1080p and use the upscale.

It's all a personal decision. I was starting from scratch so had to nothing to use for now. My decision was to buy the best components I could now and move on. You're not always going to have the newest and latest, and that goes for many things not just computers. That's why it's always best to make sure you're doing what makes YOU happy, because in the end that's what matters. And it sucks to spend money and not be happy.

Hey !.............no gsync (i use vsync, no frills) and you mean higher refresh rate; 4k 60Hz is very usable. I would rather use 1090p and let the A399U work it s miracle.
ONE IMPORTANT NOTE, IT WILL UPSCALE BEAUTIFULLY AS ,LONG AS THE 1080P SIGNAL IS SHARP, it is not a miracle monitor; it renders what is there not what is nt.
I have only good comments about the A399U, once de glassed.

REMEMBER YOU WILL CHANGE AND UPGRADE MANY COMPONENTS, BUT THE MONITOR IS THE COMPONENT THAT IS KEPT THE LONGEST.............FOOD FOR THOUGHT.

1 Like