Help choose monitor

@Evil_MOBO I just want the best picture quality I can get without upgrading my gpu, but if i have to i will. I like the size of the 4k over the 1440p monitor, that is about it. I like how the monitor is ips 144hz and gsync.

Don't take this the wrong way but the best picture quality you will get with your current GPU in my opinion would be at 1080p.

If you upgrade to a 980 Ti you should be fine for some time to come.

You need to decide on a resolution and go from there. It's not an easy decision as there are so many option, trust me I know. Had been tough for me to decide to, until I said screw it and ordered a 980 Ti and will be getting a 1440p monitor of some sort soon, just waiting for the two wide screens mentioned before.

@Evil_MOBO I agree with you. I think 1080p with max setting it the best it will be able to do.

I want to game at 1440p because 4k is not perfected yet.

If I upgrade my gpu that is a lot more money which sucks because the monitor will be expensive($720-800) because I want a nice one with gsync. I just want to make sure the gpu I buy now will max at 1440p until 4k monitors gets to 144hz gsync. My gpu is about to be 3 years old in 2 months, and I paid a lot of money for it and hate having to buy another expensive gpu. I am thinking about getting 06G-P4-4998-KR.

Then is also goes back to do I wait for this asus monitor or do I get the acer now?....I like the one you mentioned but I wish it was 144hz then I would get it.

Honestly, even 1440 p is not maxed out yet, still being perfected. And now the widescreens are catching on so it will be interesting to see how those tax GPU's also. For the reasons you stated I didn't go 4K either.

I like feeling like I'm in whatever game I play or movie I watch and the curved widescreens give that affect without the bezels of the triple 1080p setups which I was considering for a while and still might.

But like I said it's all personal choice, no right or wrong just whatever makes you happy.

I've been playing on a 27" 1080p 144Hz Asus recently using DSR at 1440p then switched to the AMH A399U 1440p at 60 Hz. Both were great experiences and so long as the GFX setup can run the game above 60 fps at 1440p then I prefer the more immersive experience on the 40" screen :)

That's the caveat though you need the GFX to run at above 60fps on the 4K monitor without G-sync/Free-sync to maintain the smoothness.

@Evil_MOBO I wonder if gaming at 75hz and 144hz is that big of a difference. Because that is the difference it seems when you go to 34" curved(which is what I am considering now) from 27". I like the asus you are talking about, but it's probably coming out q4 or next year i think and its 60hz as of now.

It was rumored to come out next month but then the Acer was stated to have a higher refresh rate so my belief is that they're trying to best it. But 144hz in that resolution is new and different because it being a wide screen and 21:9 makes it different than a regular 1440P monitor.

The monitor is what will be holding up my current build, well and maybe a custom water loop lol but that's a different story.....

@Evil_MOBO I think they are trying to get it to 75hz to compete with acer. I want the monitor you recommended now because it will have gsync. I am just curious if the 144hz to 75hz is a big difference.

Now I have to choose a gpu....I hate this because the price will drop soon and all that shit. I want and will probably get 06G-P4-4998-KR.

yeah but it's a never ending cycle thats why I said screw it and got the 980 Ti. Look at some benchmarks how well the 780 Ti does today. I assume the 980 ti will be relevant for some time to come.

I just went through the same GPU fiasco as well.

From my research and the help of the members here I came to three conclusion:
1) If you want to wait and see what next year brings then don't go drop a ton of cash on a 980 Ti, look at the GTX 970 or an R9 390, will still be good for 1440 P.
2) Get the 980 Ti and you have a solid GPU for some time to come
3) If you ever plan to SLI, then grab a GTX 980, the EVGA SC ACX 2.0 is on sale right now for $499, and next year get another one cheaper and SLI them and call it done for a while.

These were the observations I formed, maybe they help you out some, maybe not. And I'm sure someone will chime in if they feel I am mistaken on something or don't agree.

@Evil_MOBO Thank you for the helpful information. I might as well get the ti since its only slightly more expensive and if I want to sli in the future I will get another ti LOL

Well that's how I justified my purchase LOL.......

@Evil_MOBO now i have to wait for the asus monitor to come out.....the same problem I had originally when I started this thread.

I'm waiting with you, because with my luck I go get the ROG Swift and the next week the curved one comes out LOL.......

@Evil_MOBO LOL ya same here. I have bad luck.

@Evil_MOBO holy shit i did not know the monitor was going to be around $1300...that is a lot for a monitor...plus i need to buy a gpu. Damn I might have to settle for the 27" 144hz gsync unless i convince my self other wise

You and me both.

Then the decision boils down to wide/curved 1080 or 27" 1440p..........

@Evil_MOBO im going 1440p. I want the curved gsync, but might have to settle for the 27".... im hoping i can sell my 770 4gb for a good amount and get someone ignorant to buy it on ebay.

Freesync monitors are more affordable but AMD doesn't really have an answer for the 980 Ti right now in my opinion so that's what swayed me.

If I can't swing the curved monitor I will go the 27" 1440P route as well. Few good choices there.

You might find this helpful.

And also this.

gsync is better than freesync from what i heard...also nvidia slightly better than amd from what i heard as well

I'm already awaiting delivery of my 980 Ti, so G-Sync it is for me.