Haunted PC - Memory Errors in Chrome

shoot I didnt read above… Yeah honestly with laptop just basic crap is fine you cant modify the timings often enough

I’ll try to snag CL9 if possible. If not I’ll just go with CL11 like it used to be.
P.S. should I buy different sticks from the same series and manufacturer?

25€ for two 4GB sticks 1600MHz by a decent brand? I’ll go there immediatly!

Idk about where you are for sure but

$20usd for 2x4gb 1600 cl9

might be a little more for you but you get the point

1 Like

I was looking at EU listings and looks like I’m not having much luck either. Going brand new from Amazon or something like that will give me a piece of mind compared to eBay. But I’ll give a more in depth look tomorrow at what’s available for me. Thanks for the suggestion!

you can get free returns on ebay now. going with amazon is only worth it if you need it fast.

Having two dead sticks in a memory kit isn’t that rare, higher density sticks usually raise the risk of bad memory and there was a period of time of DDR3 had some unreliable batches–I had a few sticks which I had to either get exchanged or RMAed.

I’d suggest browsing through Amazon during Prime Day, I think the last recent sale on Kingston or Patriot DDR3/DDR3L SODIMMs for notebooks may have ended but the price was $34.99 for 8GB kit with a lifetime or 5yr warranty and a bit more for 16 GB. Lowest price for DDR3 notebooks may it be Samsung or Hynix tends to average between 24.99-29.99 for an 8GB kit.

hmm, I used that same memory in a older Sandybridge notebook and the faster speed/lower CL provided a slight bump in IGP performance when using an external monitor. Not sure about the OP’s usage or era of system, it could be worth the eBay risk for slightly better memory.

HP put in 2 Hynix sticks, one 8GB and one 4GB stick. And they were running at different voltages too. I don’t know how it did work fine till now.
The CPU is a Sandy Bridge i7 3630QM so a decent one. I’m holding off till Prime Day to pick up a decent pair of sticks. The most appealing kit I’ve seen so far has been a 2x4GB 1600MHz CL9 Vengeance kit.
Quick question: I’ve seen that 1866MHz are cheaper, will they work at 1600MHz?
@Adubs Yeah, I kinda need them fast so maybe eBay is not for me.

HP is known for mixing sticks as they just use whatever memory they can get, one of my parents had a system with a Hynix and a Samsung then a year or so later a stick(2GB) had failed. There are other OEMs which have done mixed RAM suppliers if a model had a weird 4GB+2GB, 8GB+4GB or 16GB+8GB stick combo–seen a few posts on Reddit/SlickDeals on it.

Most notebooks will downclock based on the BIOS but some notebook makers might actually handle faster RAM at full speed if the CL is stable on both sticks, I would note I bought a 16GB set of 1866Mhz DDR3L sticks for my Kabylake notebook because they were cheaper than the factory spec–I’ve noticed Windows seems to show the memory goes into speed differences based on power mode, 1600 Mhz at battery saver to mid mode and at performance/plugged-in it’ll run at 1866 Mhz :thinking: I never really benchmarked before the memory stick swap.

Thanks for the insight on the matter. I think I’ll buy the HyperX Impact 2x8GB 1600MHz CL9 kit. I think it should be reliable and work very well for my needs. The only kit cheaper at 1866 is the 2x4GB but, in the end, it’s not worth the downgrade for the price difference.

I’m not sure the bios will clock that ram up to that profile. I wouldn’t bet on it.

I’m doubtful of Sandy/Ivybridge supporting anything higher than 1600, however most Sandy notebooks were equipped with DDR3L‐1333 and very few OEMs supported 1600 sticks unless there was a BIOS/EFI update. It took Apple until 2013 to give the MacBook Pro 2010-2011 & Mac mini 2011 era hardware the ability to “officially support” 16GB via 1600 sticks.

I made a mistake, the 3630QM is Ivy Bridge but doesen’t change the assumption you and @Adubs made. I didn’t want to risk it and spend more so I bought THIS kit from Amazon. I’m not in the US and that was the cheapest good quality new 16GB kit I could find.

OOF

i guess when you need it, you need it.

I’m graduating in computer science and automation, I guess a computer is something I need on a daily basis.
Big oof indeed.

Installed the memory, run memtest86, errors again. CPU running at 92°C. Is it possible that the high temperature is producing those errors? In the beginning the test was running fine and showed no errors.

P.S. when I had crashes previously while using Chrome the laptop wasn’t too hot.

Yep, return the kit and get yourself a new machine.

Sorry bud. That sucks.

Wait why? Because it’s running too hot?

Because the memory errors are unrelated to the actual memory. Which means the machine is borked. Probably IMC as we suspected initially.

I get what you mean to say but it started erroring out as soon as temperature got to 92°C. When the test first started there were none. Keep in mind that I’ve never opened this laptop in 6 years and it’s proably 26°C in my room right now.
The memory that was in it before had errors immediatly.