Has anyone had trouble getting an Asrock C2750D4I to post?

I have an asrock C2750D4I in my server which I've had running for about 18 months. Last night I had to reboot it and now it no longer posts. I've tried all the usual stuff but to no effect. I've seen a few people online having similar problems but couldn't find any solutions to the problem. I've contacted asrock support to see if they can help but thought I'd ask here as well.

Has anyone else run in to problems like this with this board? If so were you able to find a solution?

I had that problems with my new bought one - I have to be honest and say I have no, absolutely no idea what finally got it to post =/

Though I suspect it's the IPMI, as by default the bios waits for IPMI - but can not say for shure, because up until the first successfull boot I had no screen output on vga at all.

I remember having that same thing as well.

I have it's little brother C2550D4I....never had a issue, but then it's only been rebooted 3 times in the last 18 months.

I realy hope they push a update for the bios and ipmi to fix that. seems to be fairly comon... I hope I stay save from those issues.

Yeah I had this board. Had being the key word. I had intended to use it in my freenas box...but out of the dozen times I tried to work with it, the POS only booted twice. I returned it and got another one, same issues. The board has a fundemental flaw. I advise running far and running fast from this board. It was pushed out the door way to premature.

I've read that it needs to be started with the IPMI the first time, otherwise it either won't post or the VGA is disabled.

But nothing that anyone is suggesting online is helping. I've heard back from asrock support about my board and they say to RMA it.

Great - but what alternatives with that many SATA ports are there?

None that I know of

will you try to get your money back or have it replaced?

Have it replaced, it's too much work to replace it with something else. And other than this I've been pretty happy with it/

I understand you... if mine began to act up I would also not see any replacement that isn't actually twice or more times expensive.

They want me to test the Ram first, I've tried using each module individually but I don't have any other systems which support ecc memory to test it in.

Does anyone know if ecc memory will work in a board which doesn't support it? The only system I have which would support 8gb dimms is a 990fx board with an 8350. But I don't really want to take it apart if it's not going to work (or possibly break something).

I too have this board which came with long term issues. The first thing I would check is what you changed in your inputs (sata/headers/ram) if not then have you used the IPMI too much? Ever since I used the IPMI on my first board it would not POST at all, no matter what I did, I got it replaced under warranty and now without using the IPMI it's running clean for ~8 months now.

I will continue this test of not using the IPMI since I've used that the most to manage my server, don't get me wrong it's great and all but not worth the headache of going through that process again...too time consuming.

I've done research when this happened, and apparently it's a natural event where this board just says "Nope.", the only solution to this was to get a replacement and see how long that lasts. I would just claim a replacement under warranty, either that or reflash the IPMI with help from support to see if that would work.

About your RAM/MB dilemma, DON'T PUT ECC RAM WHEN IT'S NOT SUPPORTED ON THE MOTHERBOARD.

Yeah that's what I thought. I think it's safe to assume the board is faulty, it would have to be pretty unlikely that both ram modules died at the same time.

I haven't changed any of the hardware, it was working fine, I rebooted and it stopped posting. But I've tried unplugging everything and switching spare hardware as much as possible. I've flashed the IPMI, no changes.

I'll test everything they suggested on the email other than the RAM again and then RMA it.

I bought a USB hard disk dock so I can atleast get the storage back up for however long it takes to get a replacement.

There is not realy a direct yes or no answer to that.
Because some boards do, some boards dont.
It also depends on what type of ECC modules you got.

I'll google it when I remember the model for the board.

But I guess it would be easier to use some non-ecc ram in the asrock board and see if that works. I know the board is pretty particular with what ram will work though so not sure how useful a test it will be.

Yeah you could try that.
Basicly the asrock should work with normal ram.
Anyway do have any usb devices connected to it maybe?

I would personally recommend going with what they tested on their board: Memory QVL

That would allways be a better bett of course.
But i personaly doubt that this is a memory module issue.