[GUIDE] Email server on Raspberry Pi 2

Hello all

This guide has been linked by me previously in this thread

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/upcoming-linux-channel-vids-want-input

But I thought it might be easier to find in its own guide thread.

Document

I have now been using my own email server built as per the documentation I have linked for several months and it works flawlessly.

The only issue I had was with Thunderbird 44 which seemed to have a bug making its own offline copy of the emails in the server IMAP folders after the message was sent.

Thunderbird 45.5.1 works fine.

I have had only a few spam messages which all seemed to be of the classic 419 scam which I found kinda cute.

Hoping this is useful to others.

I admit am lucky that where I live I can get an ISP that gives me a static IP and explicitly states on their website that it is okay to run servers off a residential IP. I know this is not the case everywhere.

I plan to move this server to a Intel based NUC style solution at some point running straight up Debian. When I do I will do another guide.

Ro55mo

6 Likes

can you reformat ti as a post here instead of a PDF? If you do, I can share it far and wide. Everyone else look over it for any problems :)

1 Like

Certainly. It is rather long though. What would be the best way? Break it down into separate posts per chapter? Upload as a text based file?

You can do headers and stuff on this post. Maybe with replies? Heimdallr did his zypper post and that worked out well in that format.

2 Likes

To that end, I do like the option to download as PDF, so maybe keep the PDF link in the bottom of OP?

1 Like

Looks great at first, nice document!

Saved the PDF for another date. Absolutely want to try this out. Thanks boss!

Added a section for spamassassin

Replaced link to the guide after breaking my Nextcloud server like a moron.

1 Like