GPU upgrade?

Given your current CPU, I dont think you can run above 3200.

Did you watch the video that I provided? It shows the kind of normal operations I do almost everyday.

I did not. No offense but I wont be watching videos or opening anything from that site.

Ryzen is really sensitive to memory, and single channel will cause problems, less on Intel, but it’s definitely a hit even on Intel.

You can, but there is actually a penalty for doing so unless you push way harder, so 3200 is the sweet spot. Even my Ryzen 7 1700 does 3200 with no issues.

On B-die, yes. R5 2600 still doesn’t go over 3200 even on B-die. ZEN2 did way better in that regard.

Single channel matters very little for his gaming, and IF on zen/zen+ doesnt always run above 1600mhz without some liberal application of SoC voltage. Given his biostar board, I wouldnt attempt that.

I managed to get non B die (the same sticks in the system now) to run stable at 3600 for a bit on my 1700. I tested the sticks on an intel system that would do 4200 and hit the same max on those sticks.

AMD has set stable SOC voltage, and even on my Crosshair VI motherboard (Sounds great, but it’s T topology, which is HORRID for ryzen) I was able to push out of the box 2133 sticks in dual channel to 3600 all within AMD’s spec. My memory controller is just as stable today as it was when I bought it (arguably better thanks to bios updates) as it was on day 1, and this system is under load 24/7 365 days a year. If you are going to leave the disclaimer “Don’t be stupid with voltages” then I completely agree, but of the friends I know that have ryzen first or second gen, not a single one has had any issues getting 3200 on any of their cpus even on the worst motherboards, and all within spec, most loading XMP/DOCP and just forgetting about it.

EDIT: The reason gen 1 and 2 are really memory sensitive is that system ram is used to communicate between the CCX modules. Threads commonly hop between CCX’s and that can cause massive delays if the ram is slow. This easily explains the bad frame times on gen 1 and 2. Third gen switched to an IO die, and that clock binds to the memory frequency and is best at 3200MHZ, so ram clock should be set at 1600MHz (3200 effective, DDR and all)

I never said you couldnt get 3200

I said above 3200

Yes it’s hard to get there, no you should not run above in most cases, but it can be done even with a horrible motherboard layout on trash memory kits. Regardless, let’s get back on topic. Sorting their bad frame times please.

Be my guest, I didnt bring it up

This topic is about gpu upgrade right?
A 5700XT is a upgrade from a 1070.
However, it kinda depends on the games you play,
if it would really justify the investment.

A 1070 is not really a bad card.
I would say consider a 2070 Super instead.

even through i’m really mad at the 5700 XT the majority of driver issues is supposed to be fixed and i’m one of the lucky ones that have no gigantic issues anymore for a couple of months now.

the 5700 XT is in term of price similar to a 2060 S but in term of performance between a 2060 S and 2070 S making it usually the better product in term of price/performance.

so if you can get a 2070 S for the same price as a 5700 XT get it.

1 Like

never, there is like 200 bux in between.

Best I found was this:

and then the 2070 super

and then a used vega frontier

I could probably get it down from 800 bux to something more suitable.

What about from 1070 to V64?

I think mr L1T talked about under clocking the ram to get it faster or something. It’s been awhile since I watched the video.

for zen 1 and gaming is not the ram speed that important it the latency which goes down with wither clock but good timings have a similar if not that same effect. there are ways to calculate the effective latency.

most of this is true for zen 2 too but matching fabric speed is important there too.

You got it backwards. Speed determines IF clocks and is more important than latency.

1 Like

Me or him?

We still have not figured out what gpu I should upgrade to.

suggested:
1070 -> 5700XT (declined by most)
1070 -> 2070Super (very expensive upgrade)
1070 -> 2070 (my other suggestion)

None, you’re fine. Game on.

1 Like

We havent really determined the cause of your slow down tbh

a 1070 is no slouch of a card and should be able to do 120fps at 1080p

1 Like

Well like i mentioned it really depends on the games you play,
and how you prefer to play them which resolutions, which settings etc.
Upgrading from a Nvidia to a AMD card is something that in my opinion,
should be really well thought over.
Because although AMD makes really great cards, and perform really well,
in allot of games. (bang for buck)
But there are games that definitely work better on Nvidia cards in general.

So yeah looking at benchmarks and comparing the numbers,
for the games that are important to you.
I mean it’s nice that AMD 5700XT offers great bang for buck value.
But if your most favorite game turns out to be a Nvidia optimized title.
Then you will still be disappointing with a AMD card in general.

So that is something to keep in mind.