GPU upgrade?

Hello there,

I have my specs:
R5 2600
GTX 1070 8GB
24GB 2333 Mhz
3,9TB

I thought about upgrading to RX 5700XT, is it worth spending 399 (it is the cheapest out there) (https://www.jimms.fi/fi/Product/Show/153438/axrx-5700xt-8gbd6-3dh/powercolor-radeon-rx-5700-xt-naytonohjain-8gb-gddr6-vapputarjous-norm-439)

Main purpose is mostly multi tasking. Gaming + multimedia + coding at the same time. Already a good build for it but playing vrc and bf4 and a few hundred firefox tabs gets the gpu to 98%

No.
Change my mind!

Fix that.

2 Likes

It depends on what your current card isnt doing for you. A 5700xt is a hair faster than a GTX1080, so not a huge upgrade.

1 Like

What about change my mind?

wot

dont have that

3k perf points over the 1070 (videocardbenchmark.net)

edit: updated main post

24gb of ram is a strange amount. How do you have that set up?

I know that - my point was that the 5700xt is equivalent to a GTX1080 - which is not all that much better than a GTX1070

Those sites numbers dont mean much. Look at actual real-world gaming fps charts. Gamersnexus is a good resource for that.

TL:DR It’s not an upgrade worth spending money on tbh. maybe try to find a cheap 2080/2080 super or a used GTX1080ti

I don’t see anything on the high end 10 series going bad within the next 3-4 years as far as 1080 or 1440 gaming goes. 1080 Ti for $500 is still the best value card you can buy right now.

1 Like

?

definitively not

They mean a lot because I’ve been buying gpus with that chart and it has not disappointed me

Nobody sells those 2020

Already is, the gtx 1060 my friend has (6GB) is basically on its edge and I’m feeling the wind blow harder every month when a new game launches.

Edit:
Also those gaming benchmarks on gamersnexus are like 2 years old.

A 5700xt should be considerably faster but I certainly wouldn’t get that one. There’s only like 3 good AIB cards out there.

If you need us to justify your purchase then you don’t need it.

Well what about other options?

There are not that many gpus to upgrade to.

And the only 1080 ti that is being sold for 450 is out of warranty because it is gainwards(1080) and the guy lost the store receipt.

Idk what that list is but it’s putting a 2060 above a 1080 and that’s a flat out lie.

3 Likes

These sites are full of bunk information. I wouldn’t be making purchasing decisions from them.

1 Like

Well as I stated before, they’ve been a reliable source because, I have not been disappointed and neither my friends.

No, just NO!

Also, why are you asking for advice if you’re just going to disagree with everyone?

2 Likes

That’s a paid synthetic benchmark that doesn’t reflect real world usage. Things like heavy overclocks will be in those results. It’s not an accurate representation of real world performance.

Having said that, if you want to get a 5700xt then the cards to get are the sapphire, gigabyte, and Asus (new tuf evo). Everything else should be treated as junk until AIBs get their shit together.

1 Like

Well start presenting some sources and options here. 1080 ti is not an option because they are not sold anymore and they are also a rare commodity.

Well, I will trust the benchmark less but then, does it matter?

?
That powercolor deal is pretty nice with the amd deal on top.

Add in board partners, ie the manufacturers of cards

If you wanna risk it on powercolor then be my guest. I’d rather have a used card with no warranty.

If you want more information, check out Gamers Nexus and their 5700xt teardowns.

2 Likes

Try some meaningful benchmarks instead :stuck_out_tongue:
Edit: Might be helpful to have a benchmark with 5700XT’s in it…

Best case AMD:

Best case Nvidia:

1 Like

All at once? The cure for tabs slowing down a system is usually more ram. You could leave a resource monitor open to see if you’re close to running out. It shouldn’t really stress the GPU that much.

Take it from the guy who dropped a grand on a 2080 Ti:

No.

Working from the Gamers Nexus charts (thanks MazeFrame), you’re looking at a rough 10 FPS gain. That’s…not much for $400. Keep in mind that the GN charts are true in the absence of any other bottlenecks—overclocked Intel chip, no tabs open, and more memory to boot. With anything else stressing the system, the difference will be even less.

And yes, synthetic benchmark bad. Gamers Nexus has a very refined procedure for gathering correct and repeatable data. This way, you also know for sure that you’re testing a gaming workload, not rendering or deep learning or something.

If I was you, I would wait for the 30 series from Nvidia. Get whatever card is around the $500 price point and enjoy a meaningful performance uplift. Assuming the 30 series is good (likely).

4 Likes

As a guy with a water blocked 2080ti… I would have to agree I would just stick with that 1070 for a little longer… but who am I to tell him how to live his life