GPU upgrade?

When I upgraded from my R9 Fury to my 5700XT, I did that because I was running out of VRAM and only for that reason.
The fact there was a GPU strapped to the VRAM upgrade was just a bonus.

1 Like

Do you have an 8GB mixed with a 16GB kit? Thatā€™s really not great to mix sizes like that, can cause stability problems, and forces you to run lower clocks. Speaking of which, 2333MHz is really low on the ryzen platform. You may see more FPS increase just getting a proper ram setup, aka dropping to 16GB or getting to 32GB, and trying to get that up to 3200MHz with decent timings. Check Gamerā€™s Nexus articles on ram speed and Ryzen if you donā€™t believe us here.

^
what games do you play? If itā€™s overwatch, I found that upgrading my ram had a better performance upgrade than a gpu (upgraded from a r9 fury X to a 2070). Even with a 2070, my ram speed was choking in overwatch.

Gpu was stretched to 98%, I have 3 monitors 2 of them 1080p the other a little less. The ram usage was fine because ff doesnā€™t use much and after a while not opening ff the tabs get unloaded or something.

As I said before I donā€™t do only gaming. VM machines, coding, multimedia n such.

basically selling my card would get me on minus by then. (bought at 180ā‚¬)

Your advice is very important. I donā€™t wanna do decisions like ā€œbecause I want toā€.

Upgraded 8 after 0 and another 8 after 16

works, no crashes yet.

costs too much.

I watched l1ts video on ryzen + ram. I believe you. (even a microsoft techsupport guy asked me why I used 24gb :smiley: (It was because nvidia drivers just broke my windows and had to reset it.))

https://steamcommunity.com/id/kombatantti/games/?tab=all

If I didnā€™t mention, was not looking for much more fps, +200 is enough for csgo, it is fine when games run high on 80fps or so. But I expect to run multiple games.
vrc is often only vibin so I just launch world of tanks or minecraft and it runs fine, but it could run better. I donā€™t wanna close down a game because I have to code one thing or fix something rly quick remotely on my server or make meme in paint.

Iā€™d upgrade your ram, my brother has the same cpu, but he bought a kit of 8gb ram 3200, and gets 200-300fps in csgo on a 960 3gb

probably but there is a long list before I can send out money for a little more fps. the fps amount does not give in my rank bracket a disadvantage.

I can spend on my gpu because I can sell it for 280 almost so I can for a little pocket money get a good card now.

Iā€™m quite confused at this string of responses. You donā€™t want to pay for something that costs money (swapping your 8GB kit for 16GB) because it costs money, but this will get you a performance boost, then claim that you donā€™t need a performance boost while trying to ā€œupgradeā€ a gpu. Iā€™m lost at what you are trying to gain here. If your goal is more performance, your ram is holding you back, not your GPU unless you want to play 4k 60fps, but your proposed upgrade wonā€™t get you that either.

My memory usage has not risen over 70%. My gpu is usually 80+

Iā€™m gonna upgrade from 3 screens to 5 so I can multitask better. Also means that it easily goes to 90% like the time I played vrc + bf4 and had some tabs open.

I donā€™t know how for how much I can sell my ram for and I donā€™t know the difference I need to pay for faster when selling the old. Also I know that it is easily much more expensive when it is faster.

Iā€™m not looking for more fps, Iā€™m looking for less stutter and more room to maneuver as I said before.

This is true if you buy ā€œpre overclockedā€ ram, but thereā€™s nothing stopping you from doing the OC yourself except the mismatched kits.

This is likely your ram, and not your GPU is what we are trying to tell you. Access times on calls are pretty bad on low clocked memory on ryzen. Intel is not as affected by this, but ryzen definitely does not do well with low clocked ram. I tested a kit of the worst kit of ram I could find that was clocked at 2133 out of the box, and overclocked it to 3000MHz with fairly decent timings and saw an incredible boost in numbers, as well as frame times delivered. Bad frame times are the ā€œhitchesā€ and ā€œstutterā€. Your ram is holding you back, not your GPU is what we are telling you. The raw ā€œFPSā€ is pointless over your monitors refresh rate, but frame times will be improved with better ram clocks, and that will lead to a smoother experience. Buying a new GPU will get you no better frame times as you canā€™t feed it at a stable rate due to your ram.

What resolution and refresh rate do you typically play at?

normal 1080p windowed or fullscreen depends on how heavy the game is, usually for bf5 windowed. I only do steamui browsing if necessary in competitive or heavy games, csgo and bf5 or star wars battlefront.

my main screen is 120hz. I use on all screen gpu scaling and the other screens 60hz

I made a clip Iā€™ll upload it here:
https://mega.nz/folder/W181HLJL#2NdFP-SN9q9amidPegXwQg
now it should be there

Also what is this:
Why is it saying that speed?

Windowed reduces performance of inputs by adding additional input latency FYI. Given your lower resolution you are most likely CPU bound unless the game is particularly taxing on graphicsā€¦ in which case you would benefit from RAM and CPU upgrades. If your 1070 is struggling to maintain 120fps at 1080p and its not being utilized 100% (or close to it) then the issue lies with the CPU. If youā€™re simply stuttering and your computer is otherwise handling the game fine then you might consider looking into what else is eating up your CPU time.

I ran a 1070 on a 144hz 1440p display for quite some time and didnt really have any issues with the games I played. None of them were super demanding titles but still turning a couple settings down would net a good result most of the time.

I think theres more going on here than just your GPU not being up to the task.

1 Like

DRAM frequency is half the data rate since data is transferred on the rise and the fall of the clock. This is why its called DDR. The clock speed being 1197 means your effective data rate is 2394. More over your timings are really bad for RAM this slow.

Something you might not also understand is that for Ryzen CPUs specifically theres something called infinity fabric. This is the interconnect between cores and also the bus that moves data from RAM into CPU cache. for zen+ CPUs like the one you have, this rate is determined by the RAM clocks and so the speed of your RAM directly affects the speed of communication between cores on your CPU. This is why most people recommend buying the fastest and lowest latency RAM for ryzen since it maximizes CPU performance.

2 Likes

Iā€™m well informed of amd tech.(not good as you) I acted a little stupid in the beginning to get a good explanation on why this is a huge deal on 24GB vs 16 vs 32. I donā€™t know and I surely didnā€™t care much to research it myself.

Good info. Thanks.

There is probably a lot wrong with the setup but it kind of works. I want to iron out these ripples. (not a native english speaker)

I ran 24GB for a little while on my 7700k build but it was 4 Dimms of matching specs, minus density. It can be fine. More importantly is the fact that you arent getting the dual channel part of a portion of your memory because of your 3 Dimm setup.

I dont think its holding you back that much though. I think you might have other issues either with too much going on in the background while youā€™re playing your games, or with poor multithreading of said games.

A 3600x and some higher speed ram isnt that much money though :wink: If you have a decent board then the upgrade might be painless.

my board is above and below

actually looking at ram prices. They fallen so much. ddr4 is like dirt cheap now. 4 gb for 20 ducats ddr4.

Well this seems like okay.

For some reason I have bad systems or chips when overclocking. My pc just crashes after a while when oc to 3.7 on this system and back on my intel g3250 it just didnā€™t want to oc at all. But that is a story for a different time.

CL22 is pretty loose timings. Ideally youd want to be somewhere close to where you are currently.

more ?

seems like the higher is just getting less cl.

lower CL is better

1 Like

which one of those above is better?