GPU mining?

post withdrawn

AMD will never be profitable on anything but ASICs design for it, not GPUs.

To find the most profitable coin to mine it's a good idea to look at https://whattomine.com/coins
Compare hashing rates of different GPUs and the current and past profitability of coins.
Right now Ethereum is one of the most profitable coins to mine

https://whattomine.com/coins/151-eth-ethash

Ethereum peaked really hard so with my twin GPU set up of Fiji cards I'm sitting at 65mhash, aka $285 usd a month.

I somehow consider buying one of these:
https://shop.bitmain.com/overview.htm?name=antminer_s9_asic_bitcoin_miner

Are you solo mining or pool? I thought about mining Ethereum, but I've only got a 4gb GTX770 for the job. Might be better off just buying it... too bad it just spiked recently.

:expressionless:

Pool mining with nanopool, claymore 9.13.
770s get about 11-12mhash.

1 Like

Thanks. Just downloaded the latest Claymore miner, and says its an Eth and Decred miner. I was considering mining Decred so that's cool. Might do that instead of Eth. :0

This miner is free-to-use, however, current developer fee is 1% for Ethereum-only mining mode (-mode 1) and 2% for dual mining mode (-mode 0), every hour the miner mines for 36 or 72 seconds for developer.

Genius

Claymore's combined miner is for ETH+xxx if you want to mine SIA or Decred etc. there may be better dedicated tools. Claymore has posted that in the forum thread before.

Yeah, I think it's a great idea.

I will probably look for a different miner to do Decred then. :0

Mining right now on GPUs are a very good idea to do, I could make a thread on how to set up Claymore's dual miner if there is demand.

Pic related.

Today after seeing article after article about mining for Ethereum on Facebook decided I would start today. The thing is though the software I thought I was to use has AMD in the file name for the program. Is Geth able to be used with Windows 7 64 bit and Nvidia cards? Also is there a mining for dummies piece of software to use for mining Ethereum? The simpler the better for me.

The simplest way to mine ethereum well with is probably to get a POLONIEX account to use as a wallet, (Plus you can trade different coins and also sell your bitcoin for tethered USD coins if you don't want to risk having the value go down over time).
Using a miner like claymore is pretty simple, all you really need to do is do is edit some bat file with notepad to configure it.

2/5 113 user reviews for POLONIEX doesn't give me much confidence in this place. As for the software you are talking about where can I get Claymore from the original source? With all these mining related programs and so on I am seeing so many places to get them and don't know what is trustworthy.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1433925.0

First post is made by claymore, the developer of the miner.
As far as poloniex goes I have never had problems with them, and the support has always helped me out.
Those stars probably come from salty people doing mistakes with deposits/withdraws that made them loose their coins, which the support cannot do anything about, IE sending to the wrong wallet etc.

Just use nicehash man. Best one so far. Auto connects to the most profitable pools, just with 1 980ti I tried a while ago it was averaging 5 dollars a day.

www.nicehash.com

If you set up a nicehash wallet it will automatically transfer the ETH to BTC into your wallet for only a 2-3% fee.

GPU's are practically worthless for bitcoin mine and alt coin like ethuerm or bytecoin then trade it to bitcoin thats much more profitable.

If you want to mine bitcoin directly you need to buy a dedicated ASCI

Nicehash can be a bit strange, it's by far the easiest but it can be fickle.
Often the miners have less hashrate than they usually have standalone.
Still a nice easy way to set and forget kinda ordeal.

Just make sure you're using Linux. Using a 1080, I'm seeing hashrates ranging from 18 to 19 MH/s under Claymore in Windows. Not sure what one would expect in that case, but it's probably around double.

edit: Etherium mining

Well, this is absolutely great news for anyone who is about to sell RX 470/480/570/580. I just sold my Sapphire RX470 for 50,- Euros more than I paid back when I bought it brand new.

Depending on the price Vega might drain that market. So..... just sayin'

I don't think Vega magically solve the issues regarding big GPUs doing poorly in mining, price wise you could get 3 RX 580s for the price of a single full vega card.

I think AMD or AIBs might make a even more cut down variant of Vega with 4GB of vram that is meant for mining, maybe 56 or 52 CUs enabled out of the 64 along with 4gb of vram, which is more than enough to mine on.

I wouldn't complain about being able to actually buy a card when they finally show up. I'm just saying if you are thinking about selling your polaris 10/20 card, do it right now.