Google to delete all YouTube video annotations

RIP. They’ve gone absolutely insane. Imagine all the old videos with clickable picture in picture insets that will no longer work.

2 Likes

It’ll break old click heres which I havent clicked :weary:

Something retarded is going on because earlier these changed channel page and if I combine that with these “related” tags, to me it seems to point changes towards tailored feeds as I have foreseen

Basically, ruling out both user and creator options, Google will be in control

Sounds like a good move for YouTube. consolidating their features.

5 Likes

You mean those obnoxious, intrusive, generally advertising like spam that most people disabled anyway?

Also:

I wouldn’t support a feature that has declined dramatically when a similar, alternative was available.

1 Like

RIP MST3K with annotations to explain some of the more obscure references.

1 Like

RIP eevblog annotations where he actually ads incredibly useful context . . .

3 Likes

Sure it’s a bit less convenient for the end user, but eliminating a minor feature sounds like a good move to reduce cost and complexity of maintaining the platform. Or something. Personally, I think I can count the number of times I’ve clicked an annotation on one hand.

2 Likes

Good riddance.

2 Likes

THIS.

Useful context added after the fact now has to be told in descriptions.

1 Like

I prefer it that way

3 Likes

:+1: Throw in an external link to a wiki or formal documentation and I’m in heaven.

Reading on screen? What is this some foreign film? :confused:

2 Likes

So?

That’s way better.

1 Like

You don’t want to see Asian video sharing sites…

COMMENTS IN YOUR FACE CONSTANTLY FLYING BY ON SCREEN.

Ya know, the same thing can be done in a video editor and baked into the video, or you could even do it, theoretically, with subtitles.

And it has not been mentioned, I don’t think.

They did not work on mobile, so useless to a vast many anyway and in that case they get nothing because they did not put it in the description and no annotations.

Yeah I can see some of the frustration but this is just better.

2 Likes

It is worse. Who takes the time to read the whole description to find out if that one formula makes sense?

There is also a disable button for those comments and letting it scroll on the side.
Depends on site, but this one has one:

Yes, but like Autoplay, the default option is ON. Those that don’t know better don’t know the option exists.

Worse, some Chinese ones still rely on FLASH.

That’s an excellent point. I don’t use mobile much.

Doesn’t it save your preferences in cookies? if not, it should